PDA

View Full Version : Garmin RoadTrip for Mac

jonesy
22nd September 2008, 08:23 AM
I've been playing with bobcat since the first beta and I must say it's evolved into a great product which is now called Roadtrip. It's still in beta phase and I'm guessing it's not far off the final release.

I've transfered all my maps from the windows mapsource as well as my tracks, Poi's and waypoints etc and created folders and smart folders under RT.

This has turned into a great product and I recommend all with mac's to have a look at it. The maps are much easier to read and the tracks etc have a 3d effect when you load them up. Eye candy wins out with usability and readability compared to the windows version.

I'm not real sure what Garmin are going to do about the maps. I'm guessing any new maps released will have mac compatible versions on the CD, for anything else you'll still need the windows version to activate and convert them. Roadtrip is missing the Google Earth Link to view your tracks if you have it installed, but you can export your track and click on it to overlay in Google Earth.

Jonesy

Pablo4x4
7th October 2008, 03:07 AM
I also been running Roadtrip in a Macbook and it works perfectly.

ned
25th October 2008, 05:29 PM
I have just downloaded roadtrip, the problem roadtrip wont see the gps. I am using Aten usb to serial converter. Has anyone else had this problem?

jonesy
25th October 2008, 05:50 PM
I have just downloaded roadtrip, the problem roadtrip wont see the gps. I am using Aten usb to serial converter. Has anyone else had this problem?

Have you installed the mac driver for this converter ?

ned
25th October 2008, 06:40 PM
Yes i have I dont know why garmin cant throwaway this old technology

mlenser
25th October 2008, 06:52 PM
Yes i have I dont know why garmin cant throwaway this old technologyYou have a GARMIN serial to USB converter that you don't want them to make them anymore? I didn't realize Garmin made serial to USB converters?
Or are you saying that Garmin should throw out the old serial port technology and no longer support the older serial interface GPS's and just support the USB interface?

Confused,
Mike.

ned
25th October 2008, 07:30 PM
I have a ATEN usb to serial converter. Some garmins have serial ports and some have usb ports, It would be simpler if they did away with the serial port, so you dont have to use a serial to usb converter

mlenser
25th October 2008, 07:43 PM
Some garmins have serial ports and some have usb ports, It would be simpler if they did away with the serial port, so you don't have to use a serial to usb converterI agree with you there and I think you'll find that this is exactly what Garmin are doing. From what I can see only the older (cheaper) models that were designed with the serial interface are still sold with the serial interface (basic/lower end eTrex models for example). All the newer designs now appear to come out with USB only. Its seems to be something you pay extra for although as they discontinue the older models and the existing models drop in price that will no longer be the case.

Regards,
Mike.

tazgtz
16th June 2009, 08:46 AM
Yeah there are som Garmin/Mac users out there!

I have downloaded the shonkymaps series but only one of them is visible in RoadTrip.

ShonkyFullTopo, ShonkyTransparentContours and Shonky Topo Without Contours all make Roadtrip crash.

To get it working again I have to delete the maps from ~/home/Library?ApplicationsSupport/Garmin/Maps

Has anyone had this issue? Is there a solution?

I use RoadTrip v2.0.2

Cheers

jonesy
16th June 2009, 08:49 AM
Has anyone had this issue? Is there a solution?
I use RoadTrip v2.0.2
Cheers

I've been using Shonky since the first beta of roadtrip and i'm using v2.02 now and no problems at all.

Jonesy

countryslicker
16th June 2009, 09:26 AM
Hi taztgz

I'm using V2.0.2 - never had a problem.

Seems to me there was a problem with your download - you should have 4 different map sets, and all should be installed and selectable. Don't you have Shonky Large Scale?

Does your GPS have the latest firmware?

Regards

Robert

tazgtz
16th June 2009, 08:18 PM
Download went fine, I had the 4 files!

All 4 go fine through MapInstaller, but the only one that works is the Large Scale one. The other 3 just make RoadTrip crash. I have to delete them from the Maps folder as explained in my previous post.

I have a Garmin GPS60, so can't upload the maps to it. I just want to plan my trips on RoadTrip and upload the tracks to the GPSr.

I'll check the firmware, but will have to find how to do that.
Found how to do that, all good on that side!

jcd
17th June 2009, 07:24 AM
Just adding that I use Roadtrip 2.0.2 on MacOSX version 10.4.11 and 10.5.7 computers and all the shonkys work fine for me. I afraid I can't suggest anything to help you.

Bye Jeff.

countryslicker
17th June 2009, 07:57 AM
Hi tazgtz

As far as RoadTrip goes, I'm not sure what the problem is, or how to fix it. The install on your Mac seems to be faulty.

What sort of Mac are you using, and what OS exactly? Did you repair your permissions after installing the Garmin software?

Have you tried uploading a test track from Roadtrip to your GPSr with the one map you have on you Mac that is visible (Large Scale)?

Regards

Robert

tazgtz
17th June 2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for all your answers guys!

I am on a MacBookPro with Intel chip running 10.5.7.

Note that I am not trying to load the maps to the GPS60, it is not designed for that. All I want to is to use the maps (Shonky or others) on Road trip to plan routes ahead.

I'll try downloading the files again and keep you posted!

Cheers!

re-downloaded all the shonky maps and it works!
countryslicker you were right! :thumbsup