PDA

View Full Version : Google Earth....the road to nowhere ;)

arthurking83
25th October 2005, 11:50 PM
Ok, I have to admit.......I'll dig my size 11's in at any opportunity :D
(One more reason to stick with WorldWind)

I was stuffing about, and noticed that the almost completed (yippee!!) Craigieburn bypass, in Melbournes' north, is....... ummm.........wellllll..........take a look!! :D

Obviously my blue line is where the road is actually heading to(approximate), and I remember only a month or so ago, looking at these images in GE, the road was much less advanced (unpaved)??
So they updated the images at some stage but that part of the image is stitched together with an image that is more than 3 years old (the northwest part of the image, where there is no road!) ???

Ok! This is all in jest, I realise that the images in GE are far superior than WW.
It just looks weird........literally, the road to nowhere!!

Any other strange things going on in GE's workings?
(apart from the usually mediocre image stitching!!)

MarkkyMarkk
26th October 2005, 08:56 AM
Ha - thats a good one. I guess thats what happens when you try to stitch together a mix of different aerial photo datasets. I love the way they blend & merge the adjacent images together to try & hide the seam & make it less obvious - although you can that the roads often shift alignment, when it exists in both images!

MarkT.

Dooghan
26th October 2005, 09:34 AM
I know what has happen. Those people from that car ad have come and taken the road to use in the ad :D

Dooghan

harveym
2nd November 2005, 11:39 AM
You are right about some pretty ordinary stitching in Google Earth but I guess it's tricky with images from a variety of sources.

Does anyone know how to get the date of the images used? Some strange things happen. The image of Canberra on Google Earth now is older than the image used earlier this year. I know because where we live is now shown as a construction site but earlier this year the image showed the apartment block had been built. Spooky. :confused: