PDA

View Full Version : Magellan eXplorist 500 ?

Extreme RAVer
29th October 2005, 06:49 PM
Hi All,

New to the whole GPS thing and have been looking around here and reading heaps.

I'm considering purchasing a Magellan eXplorist 500 and was wondering if anyone here can provide a bit of feedback on this model.

My intended use would mainly be for 4wding/hiking - ie; finding tracks (and then finding my way home again :) )

arthurking83
29th October 2005, 07:53 PM
From what I hear of the performance of the Explorist range they are great performers. 100/200/300 series are limited by the PC connectivity problem.

I reckon Magellan has the best GPSr mapping currently available.
So look to be spending ~$400 on DAST topo as well.

Two drawbacks with the explorist range are:
The non-serial connection to the PC makes it harder to connect to third paty apps that can only connect via serial interface!
And the battery limitation, It has a mobile phone type, so if you're hiking for 3 days, it will be an issue.
If the unit will spend 90% of it's life on your dashboard, this won't be a problem.

cheers.

J..
29th October 2005, 07:54 PM
I have the 600 and it's a great bit of gear. The only complaint I have is it's a bit slow loading maps and menu's at times, but I have no other GPS experience to compare it to.

There's a decent review here (http://www.justechn.com/reviews/articles/2005/07/20/explorist_600.php) on the 600.

These units are very compact compared with the previous models. If your after a bigger screen they make an eXplorist XL as well.

arthurking83
29th October 2005, 07:58 PM
If your after a bigger screen they make an eXplorist XL as well.

Not quite yet........ :( Soon hopefully. I'm waiting in anticipation!

J..
29th October 2005, 08:08 PM
Oh yea, I cant remember where I saw them... some website. I hope they arn't too flash or I'll be ****ed that I got the normal one!

arthurking83
29th October 2005, 11:40 PM
Oh yea, I cant remember where I saw them... some website........

Pro'ly here (http://www.magellangps.com/en/news/releases/viewRelease.asp?id=394) and there used to be a small piccy of the unit at the top right, you clicked and it grew bigger!
The unit looked great in those pics, the SD card slot was on the side, much easier than having the remove batteries, etc....
30Mb of built-in memory can only be a good thing, most likely a processor upgrade too :eek: here's hoping!

One interesting note!!
The Magellan site are quoting (for a non-existent product) US$449, while the current online price for the Explorist600 is $472.something.
Does this imply that the XL has less features than a 600?
Huh? :confused:
Will be interesting when the XL finally sees daylight!

The Explorer
30th October 2005, 07:20 AM
Does this imply that the XL has less features than a 600?

I think the XL has same functions as the e500 i.e. I dont think it has Barometre or temperature features ..which by the way are not worth the extra dollars in my opinion..Ive got one (a e600 that is).

Some Aus sites have preorder price of $949.00 - $999 on XL ....price on e600s ar $ 870 - $935. ....Australian pricing is always a bit strange (read over the top). I see the XL can be purchased (excluding postage) for US$364.95 ...which is less than $500 Australian ...someones going to make a dollar or 2!!!

With respect to original post and based on my experience - the eXplorist work well in the field - colour screen is a real bonus and heaps better than the old meridian color screen (which in fact was useless in bright light). I use an Ipaq (+CF GPS) also in the bush and the eXplorist kills it with respect to satellite pick up (faster acquisition and more sats). USB interface and file structure take a bit to get use to and can be frustrating after that...but it does work OK (for me) though I see others have continual trouble communicating with PC (seems to be worse with 600.

Cheers
Greg

Extreme RAVer
30th October 2005, 05:28 PM
Thanx for all the feedback everyone - looks like the e500 might be the go then :)

PED04
31st October 2005, 08:17 PM
I use an Ipaq (+CF GPS) also in the bush and the eXplorist kills it with respect to satellite pick up (faster acquisition and more sats).

I think it depends on the GPS chipset the CF GPS card uses; I personally use an external BT GPS (using SiRF III chipset), and comparing it to the eXplorist 600, it locks much faster, and under adverse conditions (inside a building, using Ozi) that the eXplorit couldn't get a lock.

For single purpose use, the eXplorist is a great unit, but for flexibility, PDA and GPS still wins, as you can use Destinator for turn by turn navigation in the larger towns, and Ozi off-road.

junek
1st November 2005, 06:02 PM
ive got a 500. its sick!!
really easy to use (it was my first gps) and most importantly it holds onto reception really well.
i do a bit of geocaching and people say 'carefull in here as you will lost reception...' but i almost never do. And its ****** accurate.
like someone else said, if you want it for finding tracks, you will need discoveraus (topo is the better version) and that is $400. so think about that.

jamie