PDA

View Full Version : Mapsource in Bootcamp:can't find device

lemel
10th October 2008, 10:22 PM
Running Mapsource 6137 with Oztopo in Windows Bootcamp through Parallels on a Macbook (phew!) - plug in Garmin Oregon 300 - "can't find device".
Parallels asks me if I want to connect the Garmin so it can obviously see it. But Mapsource can't.

One of the main reasons I set up Bootcamp (took 2 *#! days to get it working!) was so I could run Mapsource so it's frustrating.

Alternative is to convert maps with MapConverter and use RoadTrip on the Mac I guess but would like to get Mapsource working anyway. Any help much appreciated!

lemel

jcd
11th October 2008, 06:33 AM
I originally had Mapsource working through BootCamp, but that was by booting my MacBook into windows, not using it through Parallels. Have you tried booting into BootCamp ? I've since setup my MacBook to use VirtualBox a free virtual machine and from memory that allows me to connect to my GPS (etrex Legend HCx) from Mapsource and transfer maps, waypoints, etc.

Once I had Shonky maps converted and loaded into Bobcat/RoadTrip, I rarely use Mapsource any more. I find that RoadTrip handles the management of tracks and waypoints fine for the limited uses I need, mainly geotagging photos.

Bye Jeff.

lemel
11th October 2008, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the info Jeff.

I booted straight into Windows and that worked fine, but it's a pain to have to reboot to move between operating systems.
I haven't had any success with the MapConverter and RoadTrip option. If you are able to give me a quick description of the process I would be truly grateful! :mighty

lemel

Edit: I've just come across an instruction guide on how to do this on Garmin's site so I'll follow that and see how I go.

jcd
11th October 2008, 04:41 PM
Edit: I've just come across an instruction guide on how to do this on Garmin's site so I'll follow that and see how I go.

Lemel,
From memory I simply followed the instructions and everything went fine, although I only did this with Shonky maps and the free version of Tracks4Australia. Garmin suggest it should work fine for any legitimate purchased maps but I don't have any so can't test this.

Bye Jeff.

lemel
11th October 2008, 06:36 PM
Success at last!
After a fair bit of fiddling I managed to get the maps converted and opening in RoadTrip. They're always seems to be some glitch or other with these things!

Well I can certainly recommend Oztopo, it's to Shonky what Shonky is to the basemap that comes loaded on the Garmin. I haven't seen the Tracks4Australia maps. I figured that they would be similar to the Shonky ones ie not much detail.

Cheers
lemel

jcd
12th October 2008, 05:56 AM
I haven't seen the Tracks4Australia maps. I figured that they would be similar to the Shonky ones ie not much detail.

In the areas I use them mostly (south east Qld) there is not much difference. Glad to hear you got the conversion to go.

Bye Jeff.