PDA

View Full Version : NEW Aldi 3.5" Tevion GPS Model: PWM-3501

Pages : [1] 2

WiNmaKlIn
16th October 2008, 09:25 AM
Hi everyone. I have just purchased the new GPS from Aldi today. I wasn't sure if it came with a cigarette lighter adapter but it does so I'm glad about that. I have read in a previous post about an Tevion GPS from Aldi earlier in the year and some of you guys were able to hack it somewhat so that it could include 'additional' navigating software. This interests me. I would also like to share my experiences with this product as I encounter them and also see what you guys think (especially in regards to troubleshooting and improvement of the device).

It was $139 and has 64MB RAM, 512 built-in Flash memory, supports 128MB-2 GB SD/MMC memory card, built-in speaker, video and audio playback, picture browsing and e-book.

I'll keep you posted on my findings. Meanwhile, I have it charging (12 hours by USB to PC).

Regards
WiNmaKlIn

WiNmaKlIn
16th October 2008, 09:56 AM
Now that I have purchased the device I know what the model number is so I googled PWM-3501.

I will share a few links so that people 'thinking' of buying it can read a bit more as Aldi do not provide a great deal of information about their products in the brochure or even on their website.

http://www.tempoaustralia.com.au/ has info on it as well as an Instruction manual (link below)
http://www.tempoaustralia.com.au/images/stories/instructionmanuals/pwm-3501tevionInstructionmanual.pdf

Here is some info as well (American)
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=PWM3501

*Note about website above - Aldi's does NOT include a 2 GB SD card, their is also no voice command function (it gives directions but you can't 'tell' it to do anything) and the Aldi one does not have an additional antenna. Please see the Instruction manual instead as this is accurate and is identical to the hard copy I got in the box.

Cheers

johnno02
16th October 2008, 11:41 AM
Hi Winmak. :welcome

Thanks for the info,I will check out the links you provided

Regards.
John

johnno02
16th October 2008, 11:54 AM
Geez,

Their website,and operating manual dont give much away,

The manual tells you how to use everything,BUT the main thing the device is for.

No info on the operation of the Gps software at all.

Looking at the main screen,looks like it may be Destinator 7,with 2008 Navteq Maps.

Should be ok if it is.
Cheers.
John

WiNmaKlIn
16th October 2008, 01:53 PM
Ok, I've just opened the CD packet and it looks like it uses navigating software called 'Mobile 8' and uses 'Route 66' maps.

There is a 15 page booklet inside the CD packet with instructions on how to use Mobile 8.

I found a link for a 'ROUTE 66 MOBILE 8 User Manual' (see below)
http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/support/Mobile_8_WM_User_Manual_English_10.pdf

WiNmaKlIn
16th October 2008, 02:43 PM
There is a 119 page User Manual for Mobile 8 on the CD. Sorry if you downloaded the wrong manual from my link in my previous post, I am on dial-up and I just realised that it was wrong when I looked at it. I have edited the previous post and included the right link by including WM in my google search ("Route 66 Mobile 8 WM" filetype pdf). I have checked the PDF on the corrected link by 'view as html' and it is identical to the manual that I have on the CD. Again, sorry about that - But the link above in my previous post is now fixed with the correct link as I have 'edited' the post. :mighty

johnno02
16th October 2008, 06:38 PM
I had a look at the manual,and with my limited experience it looks pretty good.

The little compass icon,looks exactly the same as Destinator 7,thats why I thought it was D7.

Be Interesting to hear what some of the more experienced members think of it.

Navigating Software is the latest Route 66 Mobile8,

Maps are Possibly 2008 Navteq

enviro8
17th October 2008, 05:34 AM
Aldi are offering a GPS for $139 form Thursday 16th October 2008.

The details are:

3.5" GPS Navigator $ 139 *

* 3.5" touch screen
* Li-polymer battery 1100mAh
* Headphone jack
* Volume control dial
* 512MB built-in flash
* Stylus pen
* Red light and fixed speed camera alerts
* SD card slot
* Centrality Atlas-III/400MHz processor
* WinCE net 5.0
* Window cradle and mount

Got one yesterday for $139 – great value.

It is a Tevion Model PWM-3501 with Route 66 Navigate 8 and Australia Q3 2008 map, probably the most up to date map for Australia available. The map is a Navteq map. It is a WinCE 5.0 OS unit and has a 12 months warranty.

It comes with the GPS unit, car power adaptor (12V to 5VDC), USB cable, windscreen mount, stylus and manuals as well a CD with manual, program backup, Route66 Sync for downloading updates etc. There is also a voucher code to use if re-register your map if you really have problems.

It will play videos, MP3’s, display photos and has an EBook reader

What is not included are earphones, home power adaptor (charge at home using the USB) and SD card.

It is a 3.5" unit with a menu and sleep button on top.

On the left are a SD slot, headphone socket, reset socket, USB socket.

On the right are a volume control, on/off switch, 5V DC socket.

The unit operates in a manner similar to the Tevion P130 in that the navigation program is stored in an internal memory called ResidentFlash with the Nav. program exe in its root. The configuration file that directs the OS to the program also resides here.

Instead of being called Shell.ini like many GPS units, it is called GPSRUNFILE.txt. The contents are what you would expect for a Shell.ini file except that they are enclosed in quotes eg "\ResidentFlash\MobileNavigator.exe".

The CD contains the memory image so that you can restore it if you stuff it up.

Interestingly, the Memory Image has no Imei.dat and Phone.dat files. These are generated when the unit starts up in the GPS mode and are stored in the ResidentFlash. There is no 3DNavigator.ini stored in CD Memory Image sub directory. When the map is unlocked, Route66 Sync generates 3DNavigator.ini using the data stored in Imei.dat and/or Phone.dat and this then unlocks the map.

To date I have GPSRUNFILE.txt pointing to the SD card and it runs Destinator 7 OK (this was the first SD card that I picked up). I will try the others over the weekend, meanwhile I will give R66N8 a run.

I will be trying to get, Destinator 7, Igo 8, Finean/Polnav, MacGuider/Sygic, MioMap 3.3, Tevion, TomTom 7 and Garmin XT going as well. These all worked on the Tevion P130.

The trial that I have carried out point to a great goer with really up to date maps. I am impressed with both the GPS unit and the maps. I do have 3 more GPS units to compare to and 9 GPS programs for comparison.

WiNmaKlIn
17th October 2008, 08:47 AM
Your the man enviro8. I was waiting for your post. So far I haven't tested the unit on the road but I have turned it on and played around with it a bit. I haven't had a GPS before but this one looks easy enough to use. When I set it up to plan a route to my dads place, it found the address very easily (just don't include 'street', etc in the name search; only the actual name of the street). The only minor issue is that it didn't actually plan the 'best' route as I like to go via a way that is less congested with traffic. But there is a way to add waypoints in-between destinations by using the Trip planner. I think this unit looks like it's well built physically i.e it doesn't look 'cheap'. I'll keep a close eye on this thread and keep you guys posted. From what I read in the thread about the previous Tevion GPS, it seems like the best SD card to use is the 'SanDisk Ultra II SD card'. How much better would this be than using a 'SanDisk 2G micro SD card inside an SD adapter'? (I ask because this is something I already have).

I'm assuming that 'SanDisk Ultra III SD card' would be overkill for this device (20 MB/sec) .. dunno

Have fun...

johnno02
17th October 2008, 07:35 PM
Couldn,t help myself again,I went to Aldi Cessnock,and bought one myself.

Thanks for the info Enviro8,it is, as you say a good unit,
I cant seem to get it to do a Route Simulation though,maybe I,m missing something..............

johnno02
17th October 2008, 09:00 PM
Couldn,t help myself again,I went to Aldi Cessnock,and bought one myself.

Thanks for the info Enviro8,it is, as you say a good unit,
I cant seem to get it to do a Route Simulation though,maybe I,m missing something..............

Got it sorted,
It Does, do a route simulation, speed selectable,
Certainly is "Different to use" compared to Destinator 7,Igo 8,Mio 3.3.

A little strange at Mcdonalds Rutherford,wants you to go through the roundabout,(At Mcdonalds),go up the road a little,and do a U turn,and come back to the roundabout,when all you have to do is turn left,when you get to the roundabout..............Strange.

Doesn't show the New Shopping complex at Rutherford either.

Been there since February this year.

Anomaly
18th October 2008, 01:57 PM
Hi, total newbie here. Bought my first GPS device on Thursday - the tiny Tevion PWM-3501.

I have managed to successfully get TomTom7 working OK on the Tevion with Australian maps. Gave a few out of memory errors at the beginning but seems better now.
I really only got this for the speed camera detection and these you need to get via TomTom Home.

Of course, TomTom Home sits and waits for a TomTom device to be connected so thats no good. Any other way to get this data into it?

Any help much appreciated.

trevster1982
18th October 2008, 05:48 PM
I purchased this GPS unit from Aldi on Thursday also.. It's a great little unit and has fairly up to date maps for the area that I live in which is great... (It's a new estate)

I did have to take it back today to swap it over though as the stylus pen wasn't able to be removed.. Initially it came out easily enough, but yesterday it was stuck.. coudn't even get it out with a screwdriver.. Was talking to a friend and he thought it may have melted into the hole from being in the car... Not too sure, but they swapped it over for me anyway..

Has anyone else had this problem??

Apart from that it's an excellent little unit.. Sometimes it doesnt seem to use the most sensible route, but it redirects easily enough and doesnt ask you just to 'turn around' when you have missed a street - instead it finds an alternative way..

atropine
18th October 2008, 07:00 PM
I bought that latest aldi one ($139). havent' done much with it yet, except to test battery life, as my main use is for cycling. battery life is about 3.5 hours in day mode with backlight turned on full. It was just a stationary test, so probably very little processing and no audio commands, so in real world use battery would be less. However as a comparision the 4.3inch tevion (gps-4301) only has 55mins in nightmode with the backlight off. Charging time from USB socket on computer is 4 hours.

It's probably the cheapest quality gps aldi has ever sold. The mounting bracket is incredibly cheap and thin. In my car which has a bit of a rough idle, the gps vibrates so much you can't read it. It's because the plastic is so thin and flexible that the GPS actually bounces up and down. 12v power cord is not long enough and I found I could only mount it in the middle of my windscreen at the bottom. I prefer to mount it on the windscreen closest to the drivers side mirror.

The speaker on this tevion is maybe not the best quality audio wise but it's certainly loud & understandable, much more than the tevion310. The screen is quite bright and is not as reflective as some, which is good. In general the body looks quite cheap and plasticy. Not sure how long the manual volume control will last, wish they had just used 2 buttons instead.

I've said a few negative things about it, however I still do like it, and shall keep it, once I hear from the experts in here that this runs other software wtihout problems. Especially interested in igo and tomtom.

Kanga
18th October 2008, 09:11 PM
The really good thing about Aldi is that if for ANY reason you are not happy with ANYTHING you buy there, you can return it within 60 days for a full refund, no ifs, no buts, no questions asked. The article does not have to be faulty, and you don't have to give any reason why you wan't to return it.

So if you are not sure that one of these units suits you, just buy and try. If you are not happy, take it back, couldn't be simpler.
If you are not aware that this is really the case, ask at any Aldi store. They can afford to do this as they run a low cost operation and are still making huge profits on these sort of imports.
I have spent a lot of time touring Europe in a campervan over the past five years, and have seen many of the same products for sale in Germany and France at Aldi stores, for less than half the cost of what they sell for in Australia, even allowing for the Euro A$ exchange rate. So Aldi can well afford a really good returns policy.

You have nothing to loose. It the GPS sn't what you expected, or even if you can't "hack" it to do some extras like you hoped, just return it. No problem.

Cheers,
Kanga. :wave

johnno02
19th October 2008, 12:07 AM
Hi Kanga,

Thats good info,and Handy to know.

Thank you.

These things are going to send me Either Broke,or Mad, Or,Probably both.

There are features of Igo8,mio 3.3,Destinator 7,and Now Route 66 V8,I like Individually,

However,there are some things in each of them,that annoy the hell out of me too.

To Find the ultimate Map/Software combination,I now believe is Harder than finding,eternal life.

Cheers.
John

Mark_O
19th October 2008, 07:19 AM
When I change a navigation setting, then exit from the navigation app - and go back to the main menu - my settings are forgotten.
I'm not using a memory card yet, would that be why, or is there another reason?
Anyone else have this trouble?

johnno02
19th October 2008, 10:06 AM
This drove me nuts too,until I realised you have to click on the Green tick at the bottom of the task bar at Each step.

for EG,I ticked 7 poi categories,i wanted to be alerted to,and every time i went back to look at them it had saved none,
after clicking on the green tick at each step,it saved the ones I wanted.

Definately a Quirky little program,but works ok on the road.
Not as good as some others,Not the worst either.

nickturk
19th October 2008, 10:14 AM
Hi everyone,
I bought the GPS PWM-3501 yesterday, everything is ok, but I could not connect it to my computer via the USB cord that was supplied with it.
And also there was no CD (drive) with it. I don't know if that's the case or it is just missing...somebody please help me how to connect it to my computer, and if there should be a CD in the box.
Thanks....
nickturk@hotmail.com

Rask
19th October 2008, 11:36 AM
If it uses Mobile 8 Route 66 maps does that mean the map can be updated? Also would it be possible to use the map on a Nokia Mobile Phone with GPS instead of the Aldi GPS. :wave

atropine
19th October 2008, 04:19 PM
Yeah there should be a cd. if you don't have active sync on your computer then the gps won't connect. you can download that, but you really should return it. I just came back from aldi (sunday afternoon) doing the grocery shopping, and they still have GPS's. So they should have another GPS you can exchange it for.

On another subject, there is a SPEED setting on route66 software, and under it, are all the predefined speeds for various different sorts of roads. Is it possible to set an alarm so that it will warn if you exceed the speed limit on each road.

I know there is a seperate speed alarm but it only works via a single speed setting for everything. EG if you set it at 100km/h then that speed arlarm works for all roads. It's a bit stupid because idealy you/d want an alarm for the max speed on all the various different types of roads. It means exceeding the speed limit on 40/50/60/70km/h etc roads doesn't set off an alarm, but it'll still result in a speed ticket.

fzabkar
19th October 2008, 05:00 PM
I'm a complete novice when it comes to Windows CE or GPS devices.

When the GPS powers up, is the Main Menu being generated by ResidentFlash\MobileNavigator.exe or Windows CE's shell?

Which files provide the Music, Photo, Ebook, Video, and System functions? Are they separate apps, or are they part of the Route 66 software?

If I use a semicolon to comment out the Navigator line in GPSRUNFILE.txt, will this cause the device to boot into the Windows shell? Will I see the Win CE desktop? Will I still be able to connect to the device via ActiveSync?

Can I safely delete the language files that I don't need and use the space (~20MB) for other apps, eg calculator, notepad?

atropine
19th October 2008, 05:04 PM
Experts.

Can I leave route66 on the internal memory, and have some menu thing so that I can select other GPS software from the SD card>?

I would really like to mod this, but I have no idea where to even start. If someone could give a step by step guide, or if you can link me to another guide that works and point out the changes that have to be made with this one?

I've never mod'd anything, so if you could keep things really basic and simplistic that would be great.

WiNmaKlIn
20th October 2008, 08:44 AM
Yes, don't forget to tick the green tick when you make changes to the settings.

Also, I'd like to share an experience I had over the weekend with this GPS unit. I had previously set the unit to ignore tol roads when I was planning a route to my dads place. I had forgot to set it back when I was setting a route to country NSW. The result = a long drive through traffic until I realised and talked my fiance step by step for changing it back to using Tol roads (because I couldn't do it while driving). !o!.

Very good unit. Although I missed a turn off when it said 'bear right' as it wasn't very clear as to which road to take without squinting to see what the 'next' road I was meant to be on was.

I'm afraid that I can't really help you guys in regard to 'hacking' the device, but this older thread may offer a clue or two depending on what you wanted to do. See link below.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=4515

I recommend reading the manual for 'Mobile 8' on the CD fully (I haven't read it all yet)

Good luck and I hope that some of those guys from forum link above join in here.

Nicko
20th October 2008, 09:46 AM
I would miss the road too if it said 'bear right' :wave

fzabkar
20th October 2008, 09:59 AM
I edited the GPSRUNFILE.txt and managed to get into Win CE.

Just change the MobileNavigator line to ...

"\windows\explorer.exe"

This is what I managed to find after poking about in Control Panel:
http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/GPS/PWM-3501_Tevion/WinCE_devs.txt

The OS version is Win CE 5.00 (Build 1400).

The internal flash amounts to 512MB.

I don't know whether this is intentional, but the Power Scheme is set to "AC Power", not "Battery". Maybe it's done that way for performance reasons.

atropine
20th October 2008, 10:05 AM
it seems like the best SD card to use is the 'SanDisk Ultra II SD card'. How much better would this be than using a 'SanDisk 2G micro SD card inside an SD adapter'? (I ask because this is something I already have).

I'm assuming that 'SanDisk Ultra III SD card' would be overkill for this device (20 MB/sec) .. dunno

I don't know how fast the non ultra sandisks are, but I know the ultra II's are 60x (9mbit) transfer speed. A 2gig version of that is $30. You can get a kingmax platinum or PNY 2gig that match that speed for $10. Haven't had anything to do with SD memory cards till now, not sure if sandisk has extra reliability or something which makes it worth so much or if it's just trading on it's name.

Nicko
20th October 2008, 12:35 PM
Not sure where you get the $10 because even in shopbot I see nothing under $20 for that kind of performance and the RRP on a Sandisk UltraII 2GB is $20. The only Platinum I could find was Lexar and that was at $19.

Next time you quote prices tell us where you found them with a link.

WiNmaKlIn
20th October 2008, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm still struggling to find out how fast my 'SanDisk 2GB MicroSD' card is and whether using it in an SD adapter would slow it down. It's easy enough to see how fast the Ultra cards are but not mine.

Here is a good article on understanding flash cards.
http://www.gadgetspage.com/cameras/understanding-sd-flash-memory-card-speeds.html

It seems that it's probably not faster than 10 MB/s but it's unclear.

I wonder if anyone knows how fast the Tevion device itself can read data from any suitable card? Thus giving us a 'ceiling' to work by.

Nicko
20th October 2008, 12:49 PM
Are you going to fuss over a few dollars between a standard SD and an UltraII? Yes, there will be a performance improvement when it comes to moving map espcially if the map is several hundred megabytes and more so in the Gig. Products that really notice the difference in installing maps/data onto the data card and vieing are handhelds.

atropine
20th October 2008, 03:30 PM
The only Platinum I could find was Lexar and that was at $19.

Next time you quote prices tell us where you found them with a link.

hi,

I"M in brisbane, so i was only talking about the shops near me. the Sandisk Ultra II is $30
https://shop.1wow.com.au/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=539

The $12 platinum doesn't really exist, When I turned up at umart they tried flogging me a a 5mbit/s read 1.5mbit/s write Kingston card. I told them off, said the picture and the technical data is false, and they changed the ad

http://www.umart.com.au/pro/products_listnew.phtml?id=10&id2=112&bid=2&sid=13563

The $10 PNY 2gig SD is at gamedude, though I can't find the page where I thought I read it was a 60x read. Manufacturers page only states 4mbit/s write. So now not sure.

http://www.gamedude.com.au/static/prod_show.php?art_no=memPNsd_2g

So now i'm back to finding a sandisk ultra II 2gig for $20 in my area.

Nicko
20th October 2008, 03:45 PM
Save your petrol I will sell you one for $20, put $20 into our Bank Account as per octapc.com.au "About Us" page and I will send one to you freight free.

Lemmy
20th October 2008, 04:11 PM
Hi,

First post for me. Very useful discussion. Bought this GPS from Aldi just a few days ago and I think it is great. Never had one before but after a few problems initially it works just fine. Still one issue: No matter how may times change the time to daylight saving it switches back to standard time. No matter how many times I save by tapping the "save tick".

Some instructions are a bit odd. When travelling along the Calder free way inbound the voice instructs you to turn right at the Ring Road but that would take you across the median strip and onto the oubound lanes. There is no road there. The arrow is correct pointing straight ahead.

The map will need updating in due course. Will they be available?

johnno02
20th October 2008, 08:51 PM
Hi Lemmy. :welcome

I am not sure how you accessed "Daylight saving time"

Are you talking about the PWM-3501,or another unit.

I have not found any reference to DST,on the PWM-3501

If you can access this,Please let us know how.

What I did,was set the Time Zone to GMT +11,and make sure you click on "Synchronise with gps"

Cheers.
John

fzabkar
21st October 2008, 08:27 AM
I found the following data for the GPS device in the driver section of the Win CE registry. AFAICT, when WinCE starts up, it loads various drivers, including the one for the GPS module, and this process also launches a cold start user interface application. This app is probably responsible for the "Main Menu".

I notice that when I get into Win CE, there is a running app by the name of MC... (the full name eludes me).

Maybe the secret to bypassing the Main Menu and going straight to the WinCE GUI is to delete the "MC" lines from the registry, or replace them with our own menu utility. Alternatively, it may be possible to find the "MC" menuing software and customise it.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\PWM3501\Drivers\BuiltIn\GPS]
"Prefix"="COM"
"ParamFolder"="ResidentFlash"
"Dll"="GPS.Dll"
"Index"=dword:00000007
"Order"=dword:00000002
"FrozenLat"=dword:00000000
"FrozenLon"=dword:00000000
"HalfPpmTcxo"=dword:00000001
"FrozenQCEnable"=dword:00000001
"BackgroundLogDataEnable"=dword:00000000
"BackgroundLogFolder"="SDMMC"
"MC_StartupPlugin"="\\ResidentFlash\\StartupPlugin.dll"
"MC_ColdStartUIApp"="\\Windows\\ColdStartUI.exe"
"IClass"="{A32942B7-920C-486b-B0E6-92A702A99B35}"

atropine
21st October 2008, 10:55 AM
Save your petrol I will sell you one for $20, put $20 into our Bank Account as per octapc.com.au "About Us" page and I will send one to you freight free.

Oh I didn't' realise there was a retail part of this website, I only found it via google search on forum entries. I ended up buying one at (a competitor) for the same price. But thanks for the offer.

fzabkar
21st October 2008, 11:06 AM
Sorry, please ignore my previous post. It appears that the "MC" plugin and UI files do not exist, at least they are not visible even when Explorer is set to show hidden files.

Instead I found a Russian discussion that pointed to this registry key:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\init]
"Launch10"="shell.exe"
"Launch20"="device.exe"
"Depend20"=hex:\
0A,00
"Launch30"="gwes.exe"
"Depend30"=hex:\
"Launch50"="PVShell.exe"
"Depend50"=hex:\
14,00,1E,00
"Launch97"="Gpsmc.exe"
"Depend97"=hex:\
1E,00
"Launch90"="notifyRep.exe"
"Launch98"="OVL_Manager.exe"
"Depend98"=hex:\
14,00,1E,00

When I try to run GpsMC.exe, I get an error box that says ...

MC Already running, this is version 2.19o+ !

Apparently there is a program called TaskMan for ARM based PDAs that allows you to see and kill running tasks. When I've played with it, I'll notify the forum.

I suspect that PVShell.exe is the menu for the PVAudio, PVEBook, PVPhoto, PVSetting, and PVVideo .EXEs.

fzabkar
21st October 2008, 12:33 PM
I used this Task Manager to kill the PVShell.exe task and then when straight to the WinCE desktop:

http://auto-jj-connect.narod.ru/TaskMan.7z

Copy ITaskMgr.exe and TOOLHELP.DLL to a folder on your SD card and point Explorer to the EXE.

The list of running tasks includes:

OVL_Manager.exe
udp2tcp.exe
rnaapp.exe
rapisrv.exe
repllog.exe
osd.exe
explorer.exe
gwes.exe
shell.exe
device.exe
filesys.exe
NK.EXE
GpsMC.exe
PVShell.exe

I found this to be a good remote registry editor:

http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/ceregedit_setup.exe

You can view and edit your device's registry from your PC via ActiveSync.

I tried the following calculator program (Calc98) but couldn't get it to display properly. The title bar and menu were at the bottom of the screen and the rightmost part of the keypad was off the screen.

http://www.calculator.org/public/c9853a.exe

Even some of the Windows functions appear not to be configured correctly for a 320x240 display. I often have to drag a window into the viewable area.

AnthonyA
21st October 2008, 03:26 PM
Go to this page to learn how to set the unit to boot to CE -
http://navigo.wikispaces.com/Navigo+WinCE+Hack

Don't forget to make the new directories on the ResidentFlash drive and your SDMMC card before modifying the registory, if you don't have an SDMMC then you will have to edit the hack script to place the My Documents directory on the ResidentFlash insted.

Use the reg file at the bottom of the screen of the linked page to do the patch and the other one to undo it later if you want to go back to how it was, but remember to edit the restore script and change the line that says "Launch50"="YFLoader.exe" to "Launch50"="PVShell.exe"

atropine
21st October 2008, 06:40 PM
I used this Task Manager to kill the PVShell.exe task and then when straight to the WinCE desktop:

hi fzabkar, and other hackers who have this latest $139 tevion. So from the work you guys have done so far, Is it a keeper, or is it doing strange things like the last tevion (the 4.3inch) with resetting and removing your modications everytime you turn it off (with the switch). Or is it no good for any other reason you've discovered so far?

Really dislike this route66 on it, but I don't' really want to touch the unit hack wise until I hear it's got no annoying problems and so not as good as a tevion p310 etc as far as modding.

fzabkar
22nd October 2008, 10:36 AM
I implemented the Navigo hack and it works as described, except that a new SDMMC2 directory was created. I now have a Windows desktop with links to my own apps.

I can still get MogileNavigator to function as before by creating a shortcut on the desktop, but I can't launch PVShell. I get an error box saying that it is already in use. I get the same error when I try to launch any of its component apps, eg PVAudio, PVPhoto. This same behaviour was evident before the hack whenever I used TaskMan to kill the PVShell task and then relaunch it.

I had a few scary moments with Explorer which I rectified by editing the registry.

For example, if the Explorer window shifts off-screen to the LHS, in which case you lose access to the File and Edit menus, change the Max value at the following registry key from 1 to 0:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CmdBands\SHBand1

You may also need to edit the following keys to control the behaviour of the taskbar:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\AutoHi de
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Shell\OnTop

I've tried about 5 or 6 notepad apps, and 2 calculators, but all have one problem or another. Some don't install, some require missing components, and others expect a 480x240 display. I'm also looking for Microsoft's command processor, cmd.exe.

Anomaly
22nd October 2008, 02:14 PM
Well, I've been using TomTom7 for a couple of days now. I finally managed to get speed cameras and schoolzone POIs working OK.

Pros: Proper speed alarms for actual speed zone at location
Less crazy route calculation
Vastly better user interface

Cons: Map doesn't look as smooth as Route66 map
Expects more than 64Mb so occasionally crashes

I might just try to get some better POI school zones for the Route66 App and put up with the interface and odd routing.

Update: This morning it worked like a charm. This afternoon it wouldn'y go 30 seconds before crashing. Not worth the trouble. Does anyone know how to add school zones to this baby?
Does any

atropine
22nd October 2008, 04:11 PM
I might just try to get some better POI school zones for the Route66 App and put up with the interface and odd routing.

So is it possible to have a menu, where you choose to run route66 from the internal memory and tomtom from the SD card?

I almost think there's something faulty with route66 on this tevion. It's routing is simply bizarre. On "fastest car rotue" it made me do all these left right left right turns through side streets, when I had perfectly good main roads to drive down. When going to a friends house, It wanted me to drive 1.5km/s past his house to connect to another main road to drive 1.5km's back to his house. It seemed to choose that route because the main road it lead me back to was a bit closer to his house, before diverting me through the side streets, when really it just needed to get me off the first main road and to his house via the side streets.

I've also used this on 'shortest route' and it's the first GPS i've ever used that DOESN'T ACTUALLY CALCULATE SHORTEST ROUTE. I have this known route, 2km/s in diagonal straight line, and every GPS i've ever used will make me zig zag through the short back streets to get from A to B. they do this because it is the shortest route. Not good for cars, but good for cycling. This unit however doesn't give the actual shortest route, It just give a different route than 'fastest route' maybe you could call it '2nd fastest route", but it's not shortest.

garrycol
22nd October 2008, 07:16 PM
I have also purchased the GPS. My experiences are both good and bad.

The first one spat the dummy when I connected it to my computer and internet in accordance with the instructions - the main nav.exe file on the GPS became corrupt and gave a fatal error display - this one would not save any settings when switched off and went back to default.

The second one worked OK but would not save daylight saving when switched off - the Aldi help desk guy said it was faulty and to take it back - I now know there was in fact no problem.

I have the third gps - daylight saving cannot be put in. You can trick it in nav mode and set up the time zone to -11 but it will not keep this zone when you switch it off.

I also have had some interesting routes - however (and I might be dreaming) it seems to learn. I have travelled the same routes a few times and the first time it was a weird route - however driving the correct route a few times the Gps now takes me that way.

I have tried to plan a route from Canberra to Newcastle - the GPS will not go on the Hume Highway from Sutton Forest to Liverpool - always wants to go through Wollongong - even when I set waypoints like Pheasants Nest and Casula the GPS wants to take me through Wollongong to Liverpool then to Casula down the Hume highway and then turn around.

On another one it took me to adelaide before coming back inot NSW and then to Newcastle - strange.

However with both fastest and shortest route set to go from the Hume Highway to Hornsby the GPS reckons it is best to go via the M7 but get off it at the M4 then cut across country to the M7/M2 near liverpool and continue on - it is probablt right.

The main issue for me is the daylight saving issue (I also wish it had school zones in it) but for the price and a bit of common sense when using it - it is good value.

Oh - my brother also bought one and his had half of the functions (like speed cameras locked out) - he exchanged it and all is OK now.

I also use Oziexplorer with my laptop for offroad navigation and just bought this for town use - but I would be interested if anyone cracks this to also use Oziexplorer CE and its maps - would be good to use terrain based maps on a SD card if I do not have my laptop in the car.

Cheers

Garry

Anomaly
23rd October 2008, 10:29 AM
The second one worked OK but would not save daylight saving when switched off - the Aldi help desk guy said it was faulty and to take it back - I now know there was in fact no problem.
I have the third gps - daylight saving cannot be put in. You can trick it in nav mode and set up the time zone to -11 but it will not keep this zone when you switch it off.

If you switch it off with the LOCK Switch (on the right) it will forget the +11 time zone. Use the POWER button on the top to put it in sleep mode and it will remember.

Not sure why so many people think that the lock switch is a power switch...

atropine
23rd October 2008, 11:13 AM

It is a power switch. It's like pulling the power cable to your TV out of the 240v mains, while the button is like turning it off with the remote control.

I switch it off, because of my need for a fully charged internal battery for cycling and pedestrian travel. People who just use it in their cars could just use the power button. I dont want to let it lay around for a while, and then expect 3 hours out of it, but maybe only get 1/2 that.

garrycol
23rd October 2008, 11:28 AM
If you switch it off with the LOCK Switch (on the right) it will forget the +11 time zone. Use the POWER button on the top to put it in sleep mode and it will remember.

Because that is what the handbook says Page 3 - Power On/Off Switch - the handbook does not mention anything about a LOCK switch - even in sleep mode the battery only lasts a couple of days so if it is not used you loose the settings anyway.

Garry

Nicko
23rd October 2008, 12:31 PM
A lock mode/swicth is not unusual for these devices but are often a separate switch inside the battery compartment. Not knowing this model I can't tell if it applies.

fzabkar
24th October 2008, 10:55 AM
I installed TCPMP, The Core Pocket Media Player, (BetaPlayer) 0.72 RC1.

http://picard.exceed.hu/tcpmp/test/tcpmp.pocketpc.0.72RC1.cab

http://tcpmp.en.softonic.com/windowsmobile

I discovered that its plugin files were identical in name, if not in size, to the ones in the Windows directory. So it appears that TCMP is the player behind PVShell and its associated multimedia applications. In fact if I move player.exe (5.5KB) to its own folder and execute it from there, it runs quite happily. Presumably it then relies on the Windows plugins rather than its own.

WiNmaKlIn
25th October 2008, 12:01 PM
It seems that I have run into my first problem.
ActiveSync issue: When I try to connect with ActiveSync, it appears to connect but I get the error:

"Cannot verify the version of ActiveSync on your device. A program such as a firewall may blocking a port ActiveSync uses to connect to the device, or you may need to upgrade to a more recent version of ActiveSync on the PC."

Like I say, it appears 'connected' but I can't see anything when I 'explore device' (so I can't DO anything). I downloaded and used version 4.5 of activesync, are you guys using an earlier version? Version 4.2 perhaps? I also tried turning off my windows firewall but I get the same message and problem. In event viewer I see:

"Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFCLOC could not be found and Last Error was The referenced assembly is not installed on your system."

I searched google and found a possible solution was to install "Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package" but this made no difference.

I wonder if it's an .NET framework issue? But I do have them ALL installed.

Any ideas please? This is beginning to annoy me.

fzabkar
25th October 2008, 12:29 PM
It seems that I have run into my first problem.
ActiveSync issue: When I try to connect with ActiveSync, it appears to connect but I get the error:

"Cannot verify the version of ActiveSync on your device. A program such as a firewall may blocking a port ActiveSync uses to connect to the device, or you may need to upgrade to a more recent version of ActiveSync on the PC."

I'm using ActiveSync 3.8 running on Windows 98SE behind a Kerio Personal Firewall.

WiNmaKlIn
25th October 2008, 02:38 PM
Ok, I have fixed the issue it seems. First I tried an older version of ActiveSync; version 4.2. An error then came up telling me of a version conflict and that I need to use the 'latest' version. Then I uninstalled it and tried version 3.8 (an even older version).

No Problems !

I can now See whats in the device when I 'Explore' Go figure !

Out of curiosity, does anyone use the latest version (4.5) with Windows XP successfully?

garrycol
25th October 2008, 04:40 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone use the latest version (4.5) with Windows XP successfully?

It killed the GPS???.exe file on my first Tevion - caused a fatal error when I went into GPS mode - returned the GPS for another one.

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
25th October 2008, 05:27 PM
Out of curiosity, does anyone use the latest version (4.5) with Windows XP successfully? Yup. Mine worked fine with XP and latest version of active sync.

johnno02
25th October 2008, 09:32 PM
Yup. Mine worked fine with XP and latest version of active sync.

Mine did too.............Until I ran out of patience and returned it,with it's dodgy maps,and operating system.

Cheers.
John

WiNmaKlIn
28th October 2008, 09:43 AM
Time to share some info.

I have some good news and some bad news. Firstly, I managed to get into Windows CE.

The GPSRUNFILE hack doesn't seem to work, it shows the taskbar for about a second and that's as far as it gets. What did work was changing a registry entry:

1) HKey_Local_Machine\init\Launch50
oldvalue: PvShell.exe
newvalue: explorer.exe

Above was from the website: http://navigo.wikispaces.com/Navigo+WinCE+Hack

Also from that website above it mentions: "The GPS interface will grab control after allowing the taskbar to appear for about one second." which is what happened after I edited the GPSRUNFILE file.

Note: The 'other' registry entries the above website suggests fail and I get the 'SDMMC2 error' as described in that website, so the first one is the only thing I could really use from there.

I tried the "HOW TO SET A SIMPLE MENU SYSTEM" but the system remains at the "TEVION" blue screen, and when I get back in, the files I copied to the device are always gone.
Files on the SD are never removed though.

I got back in by changing "HKey_Local_Machine\init\Launch50" to point back at explorer instead of 'menu.exe'

I got TomTom to work, but it often gives a "out of memory" error and goes back to windows. If I can stop TomTom from crashing and use a 3 point startup menu, I would be happy.

I would like the menu to give me 3 options: 1. TomTom 2. The default (as in PvShell.exe) 3. Windows (explorer)

Also, I like the 'look' of the map better in Navigator as TomTom displays a very basic look and the colours keep 'flashing' as if it's faulty (improved slightly when I chose 2D mode). But TomTom seems to give better routes.

As far as ActiveSync goes, I can't understand it, but version 3.8 works fine. I just kept trying older versions.

Cheers

WiNmaKlIn
28th October 2008, 09:59 AM
From what some of you are saying. The latest version of ActiveSync does not exactly appear to be a godsend. So for those of you that want to persist and have not returned the PWM-3501 to Aldis for a full refund, here is the link to the older versions of ActiveSync:

http://www.oldapps.com/activesync.php

Also, I managed to change the timezone permanently so that it stays even after turning off the device. The answer is to do it via Windows CE after changing that registry entry to get in (see my above post). Doing it via system or Navigator is always temporary.

When you turn the device on, it is always noon, but when it automatically syncs with SAT, it shows the correct time. I set mine via Windows CE to +11, not +10 because the SAT doesn't seem to account for the new daylight savings change.

noneother
28th October 2008, 03:53 PM
hey guys i just bought this unit for $139 from Aldi.

Firstly the box seems to have a misprint or something as I did not get 2 sets of instruction manuals or CD-Rom. When I connect this thing to my USB my computer can't even recognise it! Anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it? It says there's an error in finding the hardware.

Also I wish to get maps for China, heading over there in a month. Anyone know how I can do this? Thanks

garrycol
28th October 2008, 05:21 PM
Ok - you get one general instruction manual. In the box there should be a CD and in the CD packet there should be another Mobile 8 instruction manual. On the CD under in the folder 'Manual' there is a detailed instruction manual.

The GPS comes with Mobile 8 GPS system installed and Route 66 maps for Australia installed.

You need to download ActiveSync onto your computer as per Mobile 8 instructoions - see above posts on issues. Then install Route 66 software from the CD - the GPs should be able to link with your computer.

You will need to download and pay for Route 66 maps for China from the website.

Follow the instructions if you have them and it might work OK.

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
28th October 2008, 06:17 PM
hey guys i just bought this unit for $139 from Aldi......

As advised above .....'what's in the box', it sounds like your GPS is a return and is incomplete.

Unless you wish to persist, IMHO I'd advise a return and spending your money on a superior GPS navigation system.

The actual Tevion hardware is fine (good screen, good audio, good battery), but the R66N8 is pretty 'doggy' at best and really not a worthy navigation system.

And it's proving very difficult to get to Win CE. Maybe that's good, maybe it's bad :)

PS I really salute your efforts WiNmaKlIn :)

garrycol
28th October 2008, 07:23 PM
The actual Tevion hardware is fine (good screen, good audio, good battery), but the R66N8 is pretty 'doggy' at best and really not a worthy navigation system.

And it's proving very difficult to get to Win CE. Maybe that's good, maybe it's bad :)

What is wrong with it - seems to have as many issues as $1000 gps - it works OK when set up Ok.

As far as getting into Win CE goes - hmm did you buy it to navigate with or pull apart and play with?

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
28th October 2008, 07:42 PM
Ask yourself these questions.

Can you change the 3D view to see a little more into the distance?

Are the road/ map graphics low resolution, poor and ugly?

Does it clearly display the current local road speed limit and remind you if you are speeding?

Can you set a 'via point' or destination by a tap on the map screen (just like a paper mapping exercise)?

Can you set up multiple destinations and let the GPS sort out the best route and fastest route to access them all (e.g. the Saturday morning Garage sale dilemma?) :)

Does it give too many announcements and offer poor routing?

Does it display the route chosen and show a summary of the route statistics, toll road kms, highway kms etc etc?

Can you easily adjust or add or eliminate via points?

Does it have a decent Poi/speedcam data base?

Does it support TTS?

- - - - - -

Having just GPS'd around 7 countries in Europe, with a real GPS; all of the above features became both essential and second nature

Nicko
28th October 2008, 08:13 PM
Does it give you a position quickly like the HotFix by Garmin? What is the obvious to you about this thread? That no one is finding the GPS good enough without having to modify? Maybe because it is cheap but did you find out what the cost of an map upgrade is? Did you know Garmin have the cheapest map upgrade at $99? Did you know you can easily add free maps to Garmin? At least you didn't buy it from fleabay and join and ask for a free copy of a cracked map.

garrycol
28th October 2008, 08:35 PM
Ask yourself these questions.

Does it clearly display the current local road speed limit and remind you if you are speeding?

Can you set a 'via point' or destination by a tap on the map screen (just like a paper mapping exercise)?

Can you set up multiple destinations and let the GPS sort out the best route and fastest route to access them all (e.g. the Saturday morning Garage sale dilemma?) :)

Does it display the route chosen and show a summary of the route statistics, toll road kms, highway kms etc etc?

Does it support TTS?

- - - - - -

Having just GPS'd around 7 countries in Europe, with a real GPS; all of the above features became both essential and second nature

I am not going to check all of them as I do need need most of it - the point is though - some of the real expensive ones also have similar problems - it does navigate and tells you where to go - all for $139. You get what you pay for - go spend many more $$ and buy something that suits your needs.

The Tom Tom I bought for nearly $800 last year is not anywhere near four times better - it still sends me to silly places when relying on it.

Garry

Nicko
29th October 2008, 09:35 AM
ahhh yes, $800 was when there was no competition, now, with the likes of people buying the Tevion they are not fairing well in the sales and nor was Garmin until Garmin dramatically dropped their prices. But I like to look at life like this..... never buy the cheapest or the dearest for the best value for money :)

WiNmaKlIn
29th October 2008, 09:58 AM
One of the reasons I purchased this unit is because it can be modified. I did my research first and read a thread about the previous Aldi GPS and was impressed with what some of you guys were able to do to it and I have succeeded in accomplishing some of those goals. If I didn't come across that thread I probably would have got a $299 TomTom that was on special at the time. I have purchased a $50 4GB MP4 player from Aldi before and I was happy enough with it even though it wasn't a true MP4 player. So I thought 'why not' (about the Aldi GPS). Read this whole thread and also the previous Aldi thread(s). Download the free CeRegEditor program, do that one little reg hack that will take a second and your in Windows CE (auto-hide the taskbar so you get the whole screen for the GPS program). Any files left on Windows (shortcuts, etc) disappear upon reboot so you have to navigate to the program to run it (a minor inconvenience really).

If I could snap my fingers and make it the way I'd think would be perfect I would move ALL the windows files to the SD card and have the 512MB exclusively for the RAM .. !o! How wonderful that would be (no more 'out of memory' errors then for sure (with the 'added' programs on the SD card)). No 'out of memory' errors occur with the default set-up.

I will see what I can find out. Maybe there is a reg hack way of giving programs of your choice a higher priority thus (maybe) ensuring that they have exclusive access to memory over anything else while they are running. Who knows.

If I bought this and it couldn't be modified in any way, I would still be reasonably happy with it. There are ways to improve the look, feel and chosen routes of the device. Play with it and you will see that it's not too bad.

Turn 'autozoom' off and press the '-' key (top left) You can also change the 3D 'angle' to look further out.

Looks better than TomTom to be honest

You can set speed warnings

I wish, but you can add a waypoint (look at my post about getting to my dads, Post #9)

Can you set up multiple destinations and let the GPS sort out the best route and fastest route to access them all (e.g. the Saturday morning Garage sale dilemma?)
You can plan a trip by adding waypoints along the way

The routing isn't the greatest, try changing from 'fast car' to 'short lorry' and the route will change. Announcements can be turned off (all except the 'screeching tire' noise when approaching a speed camera).

Not sure, don't think so

Easily? .. I can be done though

Speedcam seems OK, except with the POI, it didn't show one of my favorite restaurants

Does it support TTS?
Not sure, does it matter too much?

WiNmaKlIn
29th October 2008, 10:29 AM

HKey_Local_Machine\init\Launch50
What it currently should be: PvShell.exe
What you need to change it to: explorer.exe

CeRegEditor is free and will allow you to do this. Have you tried this Wahroonga Farm and it failed?

Wahroonga Farm
29th October 2008, 10:59 AM
HKey_Local_Machine\init\Launch50
What it currently should be: PvShell.exe
What you need to change it to: explorer.exe

CeRegEditor is free and will allow you to do this. Have you tried this Wahroonga Farm and it failed?

No this works fine. I appreciate your efforts to make it more PDA like :)

fzabkar
29th October 2008, 05:55 PM
This was my previous CE desktop:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/GPS/PWM-3501_Tevion/Desktop_2.gif

I have since added TCPMP (The Core Pocket Media Player)

The image was captured with Pocket Screen Capture.

I have experienced one annoyance after autohiding the taskbar, namely that the thin line is not tappable. This means that the taskbar is inaccessible ... unless you mis-calibrate the touch screen so that the OS thinks that the bottom of the screen is a little higher than it really is.

fzabkar
30th October 2008, 05:53 AM
I notice that the specs for the PWM-3501 imply that the maximum supported capacity for SD cards is 2GB. However, I've just tried a 4GB card and the device saw its full capacity (almost) and created SDMMC and SDMMC2 folders. It also created a desktop.ini file.

WiNmaKlIn
30th October 2008, 08:03 AM
I have experienced one annoyance after autohiding the taskbar, namely that the thin line is not tappable. This means that the taskbar is inaccessible ... unless you mis-calibrate the touch screen so that the OS thinks that the bottom of the screen is a little higher than it really is.

Yes, I forgot to mention this. How do you mis-calibrate the touch screen fzabkar?

Also, I have been looking for some doco's regarding WinCE 5.0 and I have included a link to the most interesting one below.

http://download.microsoft.com/download/7/2/f/72fef3b0-9545-46a4-8886-a94f265df9c4/EVA-2.9-OS-CE-01-I01.pdf

I think I need to learn about the registry. I was poking around in the WinCE registry and found the entry below. I really don't know if changing the value will help or hurt. !o!

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Drivers\SDCARD\ClientDrivers\Cl ***\MMC_Class:BlockTransferSize
Value data: 64

The *** bit = swear word for bottom .. !o!

WiNmaKlIn
30th October 2008, 08:12 AM
I notice that the specs for the PWM-3501 imply that the maximum supported capacity for SD cards is 2GB. However, I've just tried a 4GB card and the device saw its full capacity (almost) and created SDMMC and SDMMC2 folders. It also created a desktop.ini file.
Wow, that's pretty good. I'm using a 2GB Sandisk Ultra II SD Plus Card because it's supposed to be fast. It seems ok I guess, I got it from JB-HIFI for $15. They only had 2 left. 15MB/s it claims. I can also pop an adapter out from it and plug it straight into a USB port on my PC, hence the 'Plus' bit I guess.

What is in the desktop.ini file? Anything that looks tweakable?

WiNmaKlIn
30th October 2008, 09:11 AM
I'm a fan of Open Source Software so I have checked out one of my favorite sites (below).

http://sourceforge.net/

From there I found: http://openwince.sourceforge.net/

They have a 'GPS application' called gipsy but the link to it seems void. Maybe the project has fallen off.

Anyway, I did find something useful from sourceforge called CeNotepad and I will provide the info + link (below).

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cenotepad/

CeNotepad is a remote Windows CE text editor (aka: a "Notepad" that can open text files on a connected device directly on the desktop). It runs on Win32 platforms, and works with modern PocketPC and SmartPhone devices that connect through ActiveSync.

It's a small download, I haven't tried it yet, but it looks like it might be a good remote editor.

plugmeister
30th October 2008, 02:08 PM
I couldn't resist buying one of these (also have an Aldi 4301). It will accept SDMMC cards, I tried 4G and 16G and they both work fine. The registry hack already mentioned makes it easy to get to WinCE (same as the 4301).

For those who want a custom menu, try mortscript, a fairly powerful scripting language. A simple script like the one below will create a menu:

SetChoiceEntryFormat(25,20)
SetMessageFont(20)
ChoiceDefault( "Navigator Selector", "Choose a Navigator?", 1, 10, "iGO 8", "TomTom 7", "Route66", "Exit to WinCE" )
Case( 1 )
run "\SDMMC\igo8\igo8.exe"
Case( 2 )
run "\SDMMC\tomtom\tomtom_navigator.exe"
Case( 3 )
run "\ResidentFlash\mobilenavigator.exe"
Case( 4 )
EndChoice

I have changed the desktop and startup folders (Registry change: HKLM\System\Explorer\Shell Folders\) to reside in ResidentFlash so they don't get clobbered each time the device is cold started and I have a mortscript (navmenu.mscr) script in startup that fires off the menu when I start the device and a shortcut on the desktop to start it manually. (see screen dumps below - these are from the 4301, but screens on the 3501 are similar)

Screen Dumps (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d5s96pb_44dc37hjd3)

This device has less usable memory then the 4301, but still runs most programs OK (so far anyway). I have had some memory issues but also get that on the 4301 if I don't cold restart at least once per week.

WiNmaKlIn
30th October 2008, 03:59 PM
SetChoiceEntryFormat(25,20)
SetMessageFont(20)
ChoiceDefault( "Navigator Selector", "Choose a Navigator?", 1, 10, "iGO 8", "TomTom 7", "Route66", "Exit to WinCE" )
Case( 1 )
run "\SDMMC\igo8\igo8.exe"
Case( 2 )
run "\SDMMC\tomtom\tomtom_navigator.exe"
Case( 3 )
run "\ResidentFlash\mobilenavigator.exe"
Case( 4 )
EndChoice

This device has less usable memory then the 4301, but still runs most programs OK (so far anyway). I have had some memory issues but also get that on the 4301 if I don't cold restart at least once per week.
This looks promising. You know how when you turn it on by default how it gives you a choice of which program to use (nav, ebook, video, etc)? Do you happen to know what I would point this script to in order to have that as a choice in this menu of yours? I will also like to shortcut to WinCE desktop and then (the easy bit), nav progies running on SD.

So, this thing has 'less' memory than the older one? .. Surprising I guess as it's newer. Considering that the thing has 512MB memory on the unit, is there a way to 'give' some more to RAM than it currently uses? Or am I just being stoopid now? .. !o!

fzabkar
30th October 2008, 04:54 PM
PVShell.exe is responsible for the original menu.

Unfortunately it doesn't want to run on top of the Explorer shell. The error message is ...

'PVShell' cannot be accessed. Make sure the file is not currently open. If the file is not open, try opening the file from within the appropriate program.

fzabkar
31st October 2008, 03:36 AM
Yes, I forgot to mention this. How do you mis-calibrate the touch screen fzabkar?

Control Panel -> Stylus -> Calibration

When calibrating the bottom two crosses, target a point a few pixels higher than the actual cross.

fzabkar
31st October 2008, 03:41 AM
What is in the desktop.ini file? Anything that looks tweakable?

[.ShellClassInfo]
LocalizedResourceName=@\Windows\ceshell.dll,-20480

[LocalizedFileNames]
My Documents.lnk=@\Windows\ceshell.dll,-20486

fzabkar
31st October 2008, 05:59 AM
Screen Dumps (http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=d5s96pb_44dc37hjd3)

Can you please tell me where to download Speedo and Sketch?

And which GpsViewer are you using?

Update:

I found the following URLs.

NAVgo WinCE software:
http://www.cgsgaming.net/modules.php?name=Downloads

List of free GPS software:
http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

SiRFstarIII documentation and SIRFtech software:
http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm

fzabkar
31st October 2008, 08:57 AM
When attempting to run software in a limited Win CE environment, you may get an error message complaining about missing components. Unfortunately, unlike desktop versions of Windows, Win CE doesn't identify the missing module(s).

The solution (workaround?) I am using is to upload the offending EXE to my desktop PC and then ****yse it with Microsoft's Dependency Walker utility:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Of course this utility will be limited in what it can find (because it expects the dependent DLL files to be on your desktop PC), but at least it will identify the names of the first level dependencies.

For example, many applications rely on aygshell.dll and coredll.dll in the \Windows directory. If a particular module is not installed, then you can usually copy it to the application's root folder. That is, if you can find the module, and if you can identify the correct version.

Here is an example:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/WMminiGPS_depends.gif

The required DLLs for WMminiGPS.exe are aygshell.dll, coredll.dll, and gpsapi.dll

We need to find gpsapi.dll before WMminiGPS.exe will run, assuming it runs at all on our platform.

Update:

I found that PEinfo provides me with more information that I'll ever
need, or understand:

http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/files/peinfo.zip

Here is a sample of the output:

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/WMminiGPS_PEinfo.gif

WiNmaKlIn
31st October 2008, 09:01 AM
Control Panel -> Stylus -> Calibration
When calibrating the bottom two crosses, target a point a few pixels higher than the actual cross.

Unfortunately it doesn't want to run on top of the Explorer shell. The error message is ...

'PVShell' cannot be accessed. Make sure the file is not currently open. If the file is not open, try opening the file from within the appropriate program.
Thanks for the info fzabkar, I wish I knew more about the registry, I am currently studying it by finding some ebooks, online resources, etc. What I 'really' want to do is figure a way of allocating more RAM or if that is impossible, then to find a way of ensuring that programs running from the SD have more than enough memory thus eliminating the dreaded 'out of memory' error.

I'm currently reading about (Windows Registry) SID's, Hexadecimal, and Little-Endian's and Big-Endian's .. !o!

I wonder if a hardware hack is needed? .. Maybe a different IC to allow for more RAM .. Now this is getting complicated.

If I could, I would rip out the bluetooth from an old mobile phone I have and integrate that into the GPS. Now I 'know' I'm dreaming .. !o!

Shame about PVShell. Maybe it's just a tool to 'point' to the main default program menu. Possibly it's not needed and the main menu can be accessed more directly. I'll have a look in the registry I guess.

fzabkar
31st October 2008, 09:42 AM
I wonder if a hardware hack is needed? .. Maybe a different IC to allow for more RAM .. Now this is getting complicated.

If I could, I would rip out the bluetooth from an old mobile phone I have and integrate that into the GPS. Now I 'know' I'm dreaming .. !o!

What I'd like to do is to add a connector for an external antenna. I think there is a spot in the moulding at the top RHS of the case.

Something else I'd like to find out is if the OTG USB port will allow Win CE to see an external flash drive or USB HD. AIUI, an OTG USB port allows the device to act as either a host or a peripheral. Hopefully any required mass storage driver is already included.

Maybe the device could also exchange data with a mobile phone?

enviro8
3rd November 2008, 03:24 PM
Can you please tell me where to download Speedo and Sketch?

And which GpsViewer are you using?

Update:

I found the following URLs.

NAVgo WinCE software:
http://www.cgsgaming.net/modules.php?name=Downloads

List of free GPS software:
http://www.maps-gps-info.com/fgpfw.html

SiRFstarIII documentation and SIRFtech software:
http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm

The author of Speedo and Sketch (gps885) has posted his programs here.

http://navsoon.freeforums.org/speedo-speed-limit-option-not-working-t944.html?hilit=speedo#p8123

Navigate through the site as he has amended software bugs.

The work fine on the Tevion

fzabkar
8th November 2008, 11:45 AM
I just saw the PWM-3501 on eBay. The model number was YT001. It appears to be an OEM unit.

It might be interesting to see how much it sells for. Aldi's price is looking OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-3-5-GPS-AU-NZ-EU-MAP-SAT-NAV-MP4-MP3-SiRF-III-Chip_W0QQitemZ120330200302QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 120330200302&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#eb ayphotohosting

enviro8
10th November 2008, 05:46 AM
I just saw the PWM-3501 on eBay. The model number was YT001. It appears to be an OEM unit.

It might be interesting to see how much it sells for. Aldi's price is looking OK.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-3-5-GPS-AU-NZ-EU-MAP-SAT-NAV-MP4-MP3-SiRF-III-Chip_W0QQitemZ120330200302QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 120330200302&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2%7C65%3A1%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318#eb ayphotohosting

Yes

They do look identical and the running gear is probably the same. Given the selling costs plus the postage costs, it works out similar to the Aldi model.

Because of Aldi's excellent returns policy and the 1 year warranty, the Aldi version is by far the better buy.

plugmeister
10th November 2008, 09:49 AM
Hi fzabkar, sorry for the delay, been offline for a while.

The GPS Viewer software came off my previous Aldi 4301 GPS, I just copied the .exe across to the 3501.

I notice someone else has posted a location for speedo and sketch.

I haven't tried putting the original Tevion Menu on the mortscript menu, but I did create a shortcut on the desktop and it worked fine. PVShell.exe is actually a hidden file, so maybe that's why is didn't work for the previous poster (or maybe the path wasn't correct?). From memory it was in the Windows folder, so try another menu option with:

Case( 5 )
run "\Windows\PVShell.exe"

(Don't forget to change the menu options in the ChoiceDefault statement and renumber the Case statements)

If that doesn't work you may be able to use something like Total Commander to "unhide" PVShell.exe

I don't have the 3501 anymore, I gave it to my brother, so unfortunately I can't do any more testing at present as he is in sunny Melbourne and I'm in sunnier Brisvegas.

atropine
20th November 2008, 01:24 PM
Hey,

Just thought i'd let you pwm-3501 people know that it looks like the same model is at aldi next thursday, but this time with whereis maps instead of that crap that's in it, navteq.

It's crap because although it's 3rd 1/4 maps roads that have been built 2 years ago aren't in it. and also, the route66 software really doesn't' seem to interface with the maps properly. It gives incredibly insane routes much of the time, and i've to think it's because the software isnt' talking to the maps properly.

I know most of you buy this to run other software, but other software almost always has old maps (that i'm aware off), so I reckon the original software with the latest map is good to have, even if you usually run other software.

It's $10 cheaper, and I think you can still return this model (60 days warranty). Might be worth thinking about doing if you really could be bothered. After I check that this is still within the 60 days return period I think I will as the original nav software and maps is really unimpressive, and maybe Aldi changed maps because of complaints.

Wahroonga Farm
20th November 2008, 06:32 PM
Yup I returned my R66 version today. :)

I'll probably line up for the $10 cheaper version and give it a whirl.

Hard to tell what software this time (from the screen shot), but it's definitely not R66 N8, (which was particularly awful, with very out of date maps and simply appalling features .... or lack of them).

Will we still have to contend with the flash memory problem?

Wahroonga Farm
20th November 2008, 07:15 PM
On 2nd thoughts it is R666N8 Catalogue item link (http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6490.htm)

3.5" GPS Navigator $ 129

* Windows CE 6.0 operating system
* Built in GPS receiving antenna
* Red light and fixed speed camera alerts
* USB input
* Turn by turn voice guidance
* SD Card Slot
http://www.aldi.com.au/au/media/offers/W48_3.5_gps_PD.jpg

johnno02
20th November 2008, 11:33 PM
On 2nd thoughts it is R666N8 Catalogue item link (http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6490.htm)

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/media/offers/W48_3.5_gps_PD.jpg

Thanks Mate,

Thats Me out.
Route 66,Whatever version,is a Pain.

Regards.
John

atropine
21st November 2008, 03:15 AM
Hard to tell what software this time (from the screen shot), but it's definitely not R66 N8, (which was particularly awful, with very out of date maps and simply appalling features .... or lack of them).

Yeah it's route66 still but with whereis maps. I"m hoping it wont' give crazy **** routes as it does with the navteq maps.

enviro8
21st November 2008, 04:57 AM
The unit looks like mine.

I got it a few weeks ago from ALDI FOR $139 as a Tevion PMW-3501.

It is running WinCE 5.0 as reported by various Nav programs.

The Nav program is Route 66 Navigate 8 and is supplied with an Australia Q3 2008 Navteq map, currently the most up to date map for Australia.

I currently have the following running on it with a 2 GB SD card.

Destinator 7 with Q1 2008 map
Finean/PolNav with Q4 2007 map
Garmin
Igo8
Mcguider/Sygic
Mio 3.3
Smart2Go
Tevion
R66N8 (in ResidentFlash)
R66N7
TomTom 7

They all work well.

enviro8
21st November 2008, 04:58 AM
Yesterday while experimenting with my Tevion P310 I installed a menu program and the program changed my registry.

This was not a great problem as I had changed the registry previously and had backed it up via both ActiveSync and CERegEditor.

Unfortunately, the ActiveSync restore did not work as it determined that the P310 that it came from was now a different unit. With the CERegEditor I had accidentally overwriiten the backup file with a copy from another GPS unit (I saved the backup onto the default drive with the default name.)

What I need from some kind soul is a copy of the Tevion P310 registry using CERegEditor

CERegEditor is a free for private and commercial use program and can be downloaded from: http://ceregeditor.mdsoft.pl/

To use:
Connect the P310 to the computer via MS ActiveSync

Fire up CERegEditor

Go to Connection -> Connect

Go to Tools -> Backup/Restore -> Create image/backup

And save it.

It should be a .ceimg file around 640 KB

If this could be Zipped or Rared and posted it would be great.

Now if no one can help, is there anyone who wants to sell me a P310. I need it in full running order with all the bits and pieces including disk and Personal Product Key Card?

Thanks

atropine
21st November 2008, 03:15 PM
The unit looks like mine.

I got it a few weeks ago from ALDI FOR $139 as a Tevion PMW-3501.

It is running WinCE 5.0 as reported by various Nav programs.

The Nav program is Route 66 Navigate 8 and is supplied with an Australia Q3 2008 Navteq map, currently the most up to date map for Australia.

I notice on the aldi website it says the Aldi unit coming out this thursday runs Windows CE 6.0 operating system . Does anyone know if that is bad as far as compatibility with all the other software about that runs on Windows CE 5.0 units?

garrycol
23rd November 2008, 07:28 AM
What are the pros and cons of Route 66 maps vs sensis maps. The current tevion has 08 Route 66 maps that seem to be only about 6 months out of date. A friend has a GPS with thye latest sensis and it does not seem as upto date.

Garry

atropine
23rd November 2008, 10:12 AM
I live near the one of the largest shopping centres in Brisbane.

There was roadworks around it about 2 years ago to incorporate a new ring road when the major upgrade to the centre was finished. The road still doesn't exist in the 3rd 1/4 2008 navteq maps. Note this road is not in the shopping centre, it's just a new road

One good thing about navteq V sensis maps, is that many shopping centre carpark roads are included with navteq, and it'll actually direct you out of the carpark when you plan a route from the carpark. When I last had a sensis map GPS, it didn't do shopping centres.

The bad thing about the aldi route66 & navteq is that it gives absolutely INSANE routes. I base this assesment on testing in areas I know to chk it's nav abilities. This is probably just route66 being crap, as my medion gps with Gopal software and navteq maps gives NON-insane routes, but the new aldi model with sensis maps might perform better for some reason, who knows. Good thing is that you could find other software on the net and use it with this unit instead, bad thing the maps will be out of date.

I've heard many people say sensis maps are better and more uptodate for cities, even though navteq release more maps more often. You've given a case of sensis not showing a road, but I've given you an example of the opposite.

Wahroonga Farm
23rd November 2008, 10:37 AM
I remain unconvinced that the Aldi Navteq map is as up to date as the file name/date suggests. :sick3

mlenser
23rd November 2008, 12:03 PM
There was roadworks around it about 2 years ago to incorporate a new ring road when the major upgrade to the centre was finished. The road still doesn't exist in the 3rd 1/4 2008 navteq maps. Note this road is not in the shopping centre, it's just a new roadDon't feel bad. Where I live they closed a section of C class highway when one of the open cut coal mines dug through it and they diverted it several kilometers away. That section of highway was closed in June of 2004 and even with me having filled in the relevant mapping error reports in 2007 the Garmin 2009NT maps are STILL showing it as the only possible route - go figure.

enviro8
24th November 2008, 05:21 AM
The Tevion advert definitely shows a Route 66 Navigate 8 map.

As far as I know, Route 66 maps are Naveteq maps in Australia as there are no new map updates from the Route 66 web site. The only Australia map as of last Friday was the Navteq Q3 2008 version that has been there for several months.

In my experience with streets in my area is that it is the most up to date map, nonetheless it remains several years out of date.

There would be several years lead time to produce a street map and some of the rural roads could be decades out of date.

On function that R66N8 gives is that it will advise that an area, road, street has not been digitised.

As from travelling from A to B, R66N8 is a pig of a program with only 2 travel methods, quickest and shortest with no in between such as economical.

The quickest take you down roads and streets with the highest priority order such as major distributor streets even if it is through CBD's, and the shortest takes you down back lanes and tracks.

The worst feature of R66N8 is that is you deviate from the route originally calculated, the program when it recalculates simply tries to direct you back to that original route even though it would be slower or longer.

This is common with the nav programs. The most notable exception is Finean/PolNav which recalculates the shortest, quickest or best route from the current position.

garrycol
24th November 2008, 07:40 AM
As from travelling from A to B, R66N8 is a pig of a program with only 2 travel methods, quickest and shortest with no in between such as economical.

There is also the lorry setting which I used when I towed a large trailer - it keeps you clear of tight/CBD type areas.

Garry

atropine
24th November 2008, 10:34 PM
There is also the lorry setting which I used when I towed a large trailer - it keeps you clear of tight/CBD type areas.

Garry

I tried lorry mode today, stupid thing still woudlnt' route me on the 100km/h motorway, instead chose 70km/h congestion areas with a huge amount of traffic lights and real speed nothing like 70km/h.

Today it also did the dumbest thing i've yet seen it do. It decided the place where I was going was under an overpass (it's not, but maybe a road number mapping fault), and when I reached that point on the overpass of a motorway, it gleefully told me that I had reached my destination. I took the next available exit, then put in the destination again, it wanted to take me to that overpass again. I chose a different number for the destination road, and it managed to work. When doing an interstate simulation, it wanted to drive down railway tracks and creek beds.

atropine
24th November 2008, 10:41 PM
The Tevion advert definitely shows a Route 66 Navigate 8 map.

As far as I know, Route 66 maps are Naveteq maps in Australia as there are no new map updates from the Route 66 web site. The only Australia map as of last Friday was the Navteq Q3 2008 version that has been there for several months.

Aldi have just taken the picture of their last GPS, and used it for this upcomnig sale.

old GPS http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_6095.htm
new GPS http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2867_6490.htm

It may be a different unit entirely, or just different software/maps on the same unit. The 'powered by whereis' in the picture seems to be the main difference, There's definitely something wrong about that ad.

btw, if it is using sensis maps, what cheap crap software would aldi likely be using?

darylr
25th November 2008, 06:29 AM
The only difference that I can see is the change in operating system from 5.0 to 6.0 and the price.
All the details and symbols on the screen are the same.
regards
Darylr

garrycol
25th November 2008, 08:43 AM
I tried lorry mode today, stupid thing still woudlnt' route me on the 100km/h motorway, instead chose 70km/h congestion areas with a huge amount of traffic lights and real speed nothing like 70km/h.

Today it also did the dumbest thing i've yet seen it do.

I think some of the issues are common to most GPS - based on discussion with other GPS owners.

With the Tevion it is important how it has been set up - eg, fastest vs shortest vs lorry, motorways, tollways etc - also I have noticed that if there is a tollway as part of a motorway and you have said do not go on tollways, the GPS will not take you on the motorway at all - eg the Hume Highway becomes the M7 or M5 when going north so my GPS will not use the Hume at all - so Canberra to Sydney is via Wollongong - tell the GPS that tollways are OK then all is OK.

Likewise - setting up speeds for motorways, major roads, minor roads etc - once I set these up to realistic speeds eg 110kph on motorways - but only 50 in major 60zones and 30 in town 60 zones the GPS started working better.

Using this GPS - there have been some silly directions but to be fair I have learnt new routes I did not consider before.

I am cautious using the directions on long trips eg Canberra to Brisbane but for finding something in the same town works pretty well. Likewise if you are a long distance from your destination and you get off track it will always bring you back to your old route - so I always do a new calculation and this seems to work.

I have found that using the GPS as an aid and not the primary means of naviagation (even aircraft still do not use it by itself). A common sense check is required. Also you need to understand the settings to make it work for you - as with most computers - garbage in and garbage out.

On the maps - around my area it is very up to date - however I did find the western suburbs of Sydney not so good with some overpasses on motorways marked as underpasses rather than overpasses and vice versa (was told once to drive off the bridge to get to the road below) - the offramps which had been there since the mid 80s were not there.

Lastly this only cost $139 - the nearest competition (about the same capability) available in the shops is double that - Hardly Normal did have a sale with one to $149 on the weekend. So for what it is - good value - I bought it to find street addresses in towns not to naviagte the country - it does this OK.

Most of the comments in this forum seem to be how well it can be hacked to make it into something it was not designed for - that is fine if that is your thing - maybe the forum needs set a section for modifiying GPSs so that the main forums can be left for comments on how well the GPS actually works or doesn't work. This is just a comment and doesn't imply critiscm on anyone or any post so please do not flame me - this is a forum for views and I would not this hyjacked by posts on the issue.

Anyway they are my thoughts.

Garry

déjà vu
26th November 2008, 04:36 AM
I'm going to buy one tomorrow for $129.oo. It will be used primarily around the Sydney Metro area. I shall report my findings.

twoshoes
27th November 2008, 09:18 AM
Hi all,

Have purchase the latest Aldi model (Win CE 6).

Route 66 with Sensis maps - doesn't seem to recognise suburbs?
As an example: I live in Banyule Road, Rosanna (suburb of melbourne)

I can search for Banyule Melbourne
I can't search for Banyule Rosanna (not found)

Is this standard behaviour for the 3501??'

Cheers

atropine
27th November 2008, 12:13 PM
Hi all,

Have purchase the latest Aldi model (Win CE 6).

Route 66 with Sensis maps - doesn't seem to recognise suburbs?

Is this standard behaviour for the 3501??'

No the old 3501 worked fine with suburb names, the new one doesn't know any suburb names. I think aldi are going to have the most massive return on GPS's they've ever had. BUT, if you're just buying it for the hardware to put other software on then you might still like it.

One negative I've found is that the audio is no where as loud as the old 3501. Seems to have a lower powered speaker in it.

twoshoes
27th November 2008, 01:05 PM
No the old 3501 worked fine with suburb names, the new one doesn't know any suburb names. I think aldi are going to have the most massive return on GPS's they've ever had. BUT, if you're just buying it for the hardware to put other software on then you might still like it.

One negative I've found is that the audio is no where as loud as the old 3501. Seems to have a lower powered speaker in it.

It's ridiculous!

I tried looking up Station Street, there's only about 50 in Melbourne.. makes it a little difficult to navigate!

TomTom 7 gives me 'out of memory' errors. It runs the initial setup & map selection, but doesn't get past the tomtom flash screen when loading the actual app.

Any way around this? I tried killing active tasks/processes. Maybe tt6?

garrycol
27th November 2008, 02:17 PM
I have Nokia maps on my mobile phone and it is the same - no suburbs just cities or towns - eg everything in Canberra is listed as Canberra and everything listed in southern Newcastle is in Lake Macquarie.

I am glad I did not return my 3501.

Garry

pinoyinsydney
27th November 2008, 02:22 PM
I dont know what is wrong with the device. It doesnt recognise it on my 3 pc. One pc runs on Vista and the other two on XP.

I just dont get it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Wahroonga Farm
27th November 2008, 04:41 PM
I dont know what is wrong with the device. It doesnt recognise it on my 3 pc. ....
Thanks

Have you installed Microsoft Active Sync?

Wahroonga Farm
27th November 2008, 05:36 PM
.... everything in Canberra is listed as Canberra and everything listed in southern Newcastle is in Lake Macquarie.
Major problems with this PWM-3501 release. :sick3

Seems it's been rushed out in big quantities with a poorly sorted Sensis Map (yes it's definitely a Sensis map and Win CE 6.0 OS), to overcome some of the routing problems with the Navteq map.

The Sensis map is 188Mb (Australia SENSIS 2008-Q4.map), compared to the Navteqs 186Mb (Australia 2008-Q3.map)

These obvious failings in the big cities is a bit too much and you really wonder who and how Aldi tests these things.

I guess support is the first port of call.

http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/1458/details1cj7.jpg

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/791/warrantyyv2.jpg

I was hoping that this would be a good GPS base (1 year warranty) with SDHC SD card support .... add Ozi ... for a very "Hema Nav like" 3.5"

Well we'll see. :)

garrycol
27th November 2008, 05:58 PM
Any one have any idea what it will cost to upgrade to the Route 66 2009 maps when they come out - or will it be throw away the GPS and buy a new one because the maps are more expensive.

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
27th November 2008, 06:12 PM
Well I just hooked it up with active sync and went 'shopping' via 'Route 66 extras'.

No Australia map for sale, but a New Zealand map cost euro 49.99 ('bout A$100) for a 20868.77Kb map, 2008 Q3 (v.1.210)

Europe - euro 99.99, 2097152 Kb

But I'd suggest a call to support first?

déjà vu
28th November 2008, 03:47 AM
Mine works fine.
Volume can be boosted in the software.
And you can search by suburb.....

So.... no probs yet.

Is the extra memory (sd card) used for different map databases, and where do you get these maps?

Cheers.

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 04:05 AM
Mine works fine.
Volume can be boosted in the software.
And you can search by suburb.....

So.... no probs yet.

Is the extra memory (sd card) used for different map databases, and where do you get these maps?

Cheers.

It does plenty just fine, but can it do this search successfully?

As an example: I live in 'Banyule Road, Rosanna' (suburb of melbourne)

déjà vu
28th November 2008, 05:08 AM
...no

melissajanef
28th November 2008, 05:17 AM
Hi, I just purchased the Tevion GPS from Aldi yesterday... $129.

I tried using it immediately... does not recognise NO THROUGH ROAD. Will not give the option of suburbs...

I'm definitely returning it today.

Is it just my stupidity or is it SUBURB illiterate???

I tried to find HUDSON ST, HURSTVILLE.

It gave me about 12 Hudson St... (SYDNEY)... I could not locate my destination.

Anyone out there who can help!!!??? Please do so. My first time to own a GPS but it's pretty plain and simple to use... just can't figure out the suburb searching process.

Thanks,

Melissa :goodluck

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 05:37 AM
.....Is it just my stupidity or is it SUBURB illiterate???

I tried to find HUDSON ST, HURSTVILLE.....
Nope your fine :)

It's broke :)

All streets in Sydney are in 'Sydney' with no suburb tags as far as I can determine. Fairly useless.

déjà vu
28th November 2008, 06:00 AM
I just rang customer support, they are going to send me a file which fixes the problem.

Very quick and pleasant response from CS, by the way.....

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 06:12 AM
Yes.

But they're a bit confused. Seems it's a complete map file 180mb download.

Not sure how it's comin' yet, I think they think it's via active sync, but who knows :)

déjà vu
28th November 2008, 06:20 AM
It's a 211MB download.....
Below is a copy of the emailed instructions they sent me.....

Dear Customer,

To update the Sensis map on your Tevion P3501 Navigator, you need a PC with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/Win98SE/ME.
If you don't have access to such a computer, please contact the Tevion After Sales Support team on 1300 88 6649.

1. If you have not installed Microsoft ActiveSync on your PC, you need to install this program first by following the instructions below for your version of Windows.

Microsoft Windows XP or Vista - Open your web browser, go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/eulas/eula_activesync45_1033.mspx?ProductID=76 and follow the instructions on this page to download and install ActiveSync 4.5. After downloading “setup.msi”, run setup.msi to install Microsoft Activesync.
Microsoft Windows 98SE or ME - Open your web browser, go to http://download.oldversion.com/msasync38b5004.exe and run the setup program, “msasync38b5004.exe”. Restart computer after installing.
2. After Microsoft Activesync is installed on your computer, you are ready to install the ROUTE 66 Map Updater.
Go to http://www.tempoaustralia.com.au/gps/map_updater.exe and save the “map_updater.exe” file to your desktop.
3. Connect the Tevion GPS Navigator with the USB cable to your PC and switch on the Tevion GPS Navigator.
4. If this is the first time that you connect a USB storage device to your PC, you might need to install extra software.
Follow the instructions on the screen of your PC to install the USB drivers that come with Windows.
5. As soon as the connection between the PC and the navigator is established, Microsoft ActiveSync on the PC will ask you if you want to set up a new partnership. Select 'Cancel' as this is not necessary and the device will be set up as 'guest'.
6. In the Microsoft ActiveSync window on the PC you see that the Navigator is now connected.
7. Now start up the “map_updater.exe” file, which you have downloaded.
8. The map updater will remove previous maps from your device and install the updated map.
9. This installation can take a few hours, depending on the speed of the connection between PC and Navigator.
10. The installation is completed successfully when the Map Updater program closes. Disconnect the Tevion GPS Navigator from your computer and it is now ready to use.

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 06:30 AM
Ok and well done déjà vu. That makes more sense than the poor lass on the phone:)

Interesting that the R66 update function under the extras' menu still says 'no update available'.

Strange the fix wasn't implemented via the embedded updater?

johnprop
28th November 2008, 09:49 AM
I bought my first GPS a 3.5" Tevion GPS Model: PWM-3501 from ALDI yesterday for $129.

Is there any advantge in using a faster 2GB SD card (eg. Kingston 2GB 8.9MB/sec $16 or Sandisk Ultra II 9MB/sec $18) instead of an ordinary 2GB SD card (Class 2)?

And secondly can other software be loaded into the Tevion and if so how?

Cheers

pinoyinsydney
28th November 2008, 11:01 AM
Have you installed Microsoft Active Sync?
I just installed the microsoft active sync and it worked fine on my XP pc. However, the it did not work for Vista. It still does not recognise the device.

Thanks wahroonga farm for that.

cheers

déjà vu
28th November 2008, 11:09 AM
I installed the update, and the suburb street search function works now.

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 11:41 AM
Yup. :) Slow process though .... on my old lappy.

Not something all customers will be doing though.

I feel sorry for all the poor folk who queued buying them for Christmas pressies.

Map is now: Sensis 2008 Q4a

WiNmaKlIn
28th November 2008, 12:02 PM
Hi guys. I've been away for a while. Now I see that there is a new GPS in town. By looking at the picture that was submitted in this thread, it has 1GB of Flash. What CPU does it have? Is the hardware better than the PWM-3501 that I paid $139 for? So far it looks like it has double the on-board Flash.

By the way. Can anyone help Enviro8 with a CERegEditor created backup for his P310? He still needs it.

Cheers

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 12:13 PM
The picture tells that too :)

The boxes I saw all identified the hardware as:

SISIS A8 ARM9 266MHz processor, 64Mb ram with an internal 1GB of in built flash memory called VDISK where the GPS program is stored.

atropine
28th November 2008, 12:29 PM
. By looking at the picture that was submitted in this thread, it has 1GB of Flash. What CPU does it have? Is the hardware better than the PWM-3501 that I paid $139 for? So far it looks like it has double the on-board Flash.

The screen has lower contrast than the old screen but about the same brightness. The speaker is not as loud as the old model, it's the main reason i'm thinking of returning it. Old one had 400mhz centrally atlas III processor, this one is 266mhz. The battery lasts longer in the old model.

The new model has sensis maps though, but I wonder if you could use that updater that fixes the fault to update the old model to sensis maps. New model has twice the internal ram as you say.

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 12:35 PM
...... The new model has Sensis maps though, but I wonder if you could use that updater that fixes the fault to update the old model to sensis maps. ....

I'd suggest that it would be a perfectly safe and sensible procedure to follow. :)

If it fails simply reload from your supplied R66 disc using the 'install' software feature.

phild
28th November 2008, 02:37 PM
Just bought this unit from Aldi today. These GPS things are new to me and I have read some of the posts here. The processor low speed has me somewhat worried. How does this SISIS 266MH A8 Arm9 compare to others like Atlas SIRF 400MH? Is there a speed difference?
Also what is this upgrade described (by deja vu)? Does it overwrite existing maps with Sensis Whereis? I would prefer not to have whereis maps as I am really tired of the navigational errors it makes (when using the website).

garrycol
28th November 2008, 02:40 PM
I'd suggest that it would be a perfectly safe and sensible procedure to follow. :)

If it fails simply reload from your supplied R66 disc using the 'install' software feature.

Why don't one of you guys try it and let us know if it works and is actually better than the Route 66 maps.

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 03:35 PM
Just bought this unit from Aldi today.
Unfortunately your brand new GPS has a map fault as sold. It doesn't recognise suburbs in big cities.
These GPS things are new to me and I have read some of the posts here. The processor low speed has me somewhat worried. How does this SISIS 266MH A8 Arm9 compare to others like Atlas SIRF 400MH? Is there a speed difference?It's all a bit of a mystery really. I suspect the CPU is OK. It appears to run R66 just fine.
Also what is this upgrade described (by deja vu)? Does it overwrite existing maps with Sensis Whereis?It simply overwrites the existing Sensis Whereis maps (which don't work) with new Sensis Whereis maps that do work. The upgrade is essential. If you didn't want Sensis maps why did you buy this GPS? :sick3
I would prefer not to have whereis maps as I am really tired of the navigational errors it makes (when using the website). As above.

phild
28th November 2008, 03:52 PM
It appears to run R66 just fine..... If you didn't want Sensis maps why did you buy this GPS? :sick3 As above.

A friend bought a previous 4.3 Tevion which I believed had different mapping. I probably thought R66 was it and didn't pay enough attention to the one I got. I use a test address that TomTom's and Navman's fail. I tried it on this one and my friend's and it passes. I thought maybe it may be preloaded with Navteq or whatever it is and if I do the upgrade I'll end up with whereis. So there you are, I am fairly confused about these things.

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 04:11 PM
Yes the Tevion a month ago was R66 with Navteq maps, but it was generally slated for giving poor routes.

Maybe this is why Tevion moved to Sensis maps? Not sure :)

atropine
28th November 2008, 05:25 PM
How does this SISIS 266MH A8 Arm9 compare to others like Atlas SIRF 400MH? Is there a speed difference?

You can see a difference with how fast route66 loads. But in actual use it seems ok. This shows them side by side, and run at the same time.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbr84suEl0

phild
28th November 2008, 05:31 PM
You can see a difference with how fast route66 loads. But in actual use it seems ok. This shows them side by side, and run at the same time.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=eZbr84suEl0

Thanks heaps Atropine. Based on this I think I will be returning this unit. Very unimpressed by the speed differential. The new model is so much slower. But I will do the upgrade to do my address test beforehand.

Wahroonga Farm
28th November 2008, 05:48 PM
Nice comparison. Yup I guess that shows up the CPU definitively.

Oh well another Aldi return. Still it's kept me amused for a day or so :)

phild
28th November 2008, 09:30 PM
I expected predictive input whereby partial entries would present a list of potential matches. Can't seem to make this happen.

Also I upgraded the sensis maps to Q4a which fixed the suburb problem and I must retract my criticism of whereis maps earlier. What I am doing apparently indicates a problem with the navigational software. Anyone know what the whereis website and TomTom uses? This Aldi unit gets it right whereas the other ones don't, including Navman and Garmin (if I recall correctly).

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 06:36 AM
I expected predictive input whereby partial entries would present a list of potential matches. ....
I think R66 is one of the best in this respect .... once you get used to it's little foibles.

Say your seaching for '11 Dardanelles St, Mortdale, Sydney'.

Type in 'Dar Mor' then hit the 'tick' and you'll get a fairly long list of matching choices.

Add a few more letters 'Dard Mort' and I think it finds only one match. :)

It'll also find place names and locations (hotels etc) rather than just street addresses.

Not bad.

In fact this $129 unit (with 2008 Q4a) will probably make a suitable Christmas pressie for someone who just needs to find places. I guess I've softened my critical stance on poor old R66 .... a wee bit :)

déjà vu
29th November 2008, 07:05 AM
Mine works pretty well now.
I'm getting used to it and how to operate it.

But, can anyone tell me how to get rid of that screeching sound?
And can someone explain how the travel modes work?

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 07:54 AM
.... can anyone tell me how to get rid of that screeching sound?...
Your brakes? :)

rocknrolla
29th November 2008, 07:59 AM
hey guys,

I also have one of these GPS' and had all the difficulties, but after receiving the free upgrade it has worked better than any of my previous units.

The screeching noise can be turned off under SETTINGS>ALARMS>SAFETY CAMERAS.. then select one of the options and use the link in the bottom left corner of the screen (looks like a bell and a spanner) then you can change the noise or turn them off.

The travel modes change between fastest and shortest. I beleive that fastest uses the streets with the quickest speed limits.. i've found myself using the 'shortest options'

I think this is one of those products where it takes a while playing with it to get the hang of it

garrycol
29th November 2008, 08:00 AM
Mine works pretty well now.
I'm getting used to it and how to operate it.

But, can anyone tell me how to get rid of that screeching sound?
And can someone explain how the travel modes work?

The screeching sound is the audio signal for things like spped cameras, favourites, POIs and can be set to different sounds. You need to go into settings then alarms and then into either poi, favorites or safety cameras and set sounds to either off or on as required.

Has anyone found that their plastic pointer stylus thing is stuck in the back of the GPS and will not come out no matter what you do - mine has - is the case of the GPS easy to open so I can go inside and force the stylus out.

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 08:00 AM
Travel modes simply use the speed data applied to each road and section. In R66 it's all visible and user changeable.

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 08:04 AM
Has anyone found that their plastic pointer stylus thing is stuck in the back of the GPS and will not come out no matter what you do - mine has - is the case of the GPS easy to open so I can go inside and force the stylus out.Garry
This problem was reported on the earlier model as well. Might be easier to return/swap.

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 08:06 AM
hi there, The stylus pen can get stuck due to overheating of the unit by either using for extensive periods or leaving it in the sun..

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 08:15 AM
hi there, The stylus pen can get stuck due to overheating of the unit by either using for extensive periods or leaving it in the sun..
I think it's some more fundamental design problem. :)

rocknrolla
29th November 2008, 08:20 AM
who would leave a gps in the sun all day??!

not only would it wreck the unit, it is just begging to be stolen

P.S. when i rang customer support and they sent me the upgrade, i noticed i couldnt do it on my VISTA because microsoft activesinc doesn't work, neither would the other program (i think its called mobile something)

does anyone know how i could make the upgrade work with VISTA

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 08:20 AM
Dont think so,
Every gps has a built in stylus pen and all roughly in the same place

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 08:31 AM
Don't foreget to look around the rest of this site and learn 'bout the wonderful world of GPS navigation.

Many many options and some very good even free.

And the best online shop. :)

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 09:00 AM
my gps is fine as long as i keep it out of the sun so my pen wont melt....

grubco
29th November 2008, 10:47 AM
Hi all,
I read through all the posts here regarding an error message I have on my Aldi PWM-3501 Tevion navigator. A great unit by the way... well it was on the first day. On the second day, when I enter into GPS mode, I get this error message:
---------------------------------------
Error
Engine initialisation error. Error code
0x10005. Please reinstall the
application.
---------------------------------------
Has anybody experienced this yet?
I'm unsure what "the application" is, but I reinstalled the software from the CD (under the first menu INSTALL), but nothing changed.
I'm thinking about using the format command and trying that install thing again.
Alternatively I can refund it and buy a TomTom (or such) instead, as my Aldi has already sold out of these.
Any help appreciated.
David.

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 10:49 AM
Sounds like the WinCE OS ... and you can't reload or fix that. It's refund time I suspect. :sick3

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 11:01 AM
hope this sorts a few things out for some people!!!!!!

The pwm-3501 is a great unit but there is one small error using the link below this should help you out.

The SD card is not recommended to be 2gb or more for some who are wanting to know.

The stylus pen is located at the back of the unit about half way up on the right hand side and the end looks like a volume controller.

The protection kit is the film covering the screen.
If you have any troubles i would recommend calling the after sales support line because they are very helpfull and very happy to help you out and would save you time and money for taking it back for a refund or an exchange

Heres how to re-install the sensis mapping to get the SUBURB SEARCH active!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Please locate your Microsoft Windows version below and follow the corresponding instructions:
Microsoft Windows XP – Microsoft Activesync 4.5 is required - Click on the following link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/eulas/eula_activesync45_1033.mspx?ProductID=76 and follow the instructions on this page to download and install ActiveSync 4.5. Click on “Accept and Download” to start the download and then click “Save”. Select desktop as your destination and from your desktop, run “Setup.msi” to install.
Microsoft Windows 98SE or ME – Microsoft Activesync 3.8 is required - Click on the following link http://download.oldversion.com/msasync38b5004.exe and run the setup program, “msasync38b5004.exe”. Restart computer after installing.
2. After Microsoft Activesync or Windows Mobile Device Center is installed on your computer, you are ready to install the Map Updater.
Go to http://www.tempoaustralia.com.au/gps/map_updater.exe and save the “map_updater.exe” file to your desktop.

3. Connect the Tevion GPS Navigator with the USB cable to your PC and switch on the Tevion GPS Navigator.
3. If this is the first time that you connect a USB storage device to your PC, you might need to install extra software.
Follow the instructions on the screen of your PC to install the USB drivers that come with Windows.
4. Microsoft Activesync: As soon as the connection between the PC and the navigator is established, Microsoft ActiveSync on the PC will ask you if you want to set up a new partnership. Select 'Cancel' as this is not necessary and the device will be set up as 'guest'.
5. In the Microsoft ActiveSync window on the PC you see that the Navigator is now connected.
6. Now start up the “map_updater.exe” file, which you have downloaded to your desktop.
7. The map updater will remove previous maps from your device and install the updated map.
8. This installation can take a few hours, depending on the speed of the connection between PC and Navigator.
9. The installation is completed successfully when the Map Updater program notifies you that the download is complete. Disconnect the Tevion GPS Navigator from your computer and it is now ready to use.
If you have further questions, please contact the After Sales Support team on 1300 88 6649 during the office hours of 8:30am – 5pm, Monday to Friday or alternately email info@tempoaustralia.com.au if you have further queries about your Tevion GPS Navigator model 3501.

grubco
29th November 2008, 11:13 AM
Sounds like the WinCE OS ... and you can't reload or fix that. It's refund time I suspect. :sick3
Thanks for the quick response. I did the format and am reinstalling the software again.
I also read here not to use 2gb or higher SD card. I have a 2gb SD card which I started to use last night... but everything else works OK on the unit, just the GPS function.
Also, I called the service number (which suprisingly answered on a Saturday morning) but they only said they'd email me some links to upgrades or something; they didn't want to hear the details of my error message. And I never got the email either...

garrycol
29th November 2008, 11:18 AM
hope this sorts a few things out for some people!!!!!!

The pwm-3501 is a great unit but there is one small error using the link below this should help you out.

The SD card is not recommended to be 2gb or more for some who are wanting to know.

The stylus pen is located at the back of the unit about half way up on the right hand side and the end looks like a volume controller.

The protection kit is the film covering the screen.
If you have any troubles i would recommend calling the after sales support line because they are very helpfull and very happy to help you out and would save you time and money for taking it back for a refund or an exchange

Heres how to re-install the sensis mapping to get the SUBURB SEARCH active!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Please locate your Microsoft Windows version below and follow the corresponding instructions:
Microsoft Windows XP – Microsoft Activesync 4.5 is required - Click on the following link http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/en-us/downloads/eulas/eula_activesync45_1033.mspx?ProductID=76 and follow the instructions on this page to download and install ActiveSync 4.5. Click on “Accept and Download” to start the download and then click “Save”. Select desktop as your destination and from your desktop, run “Setup.msi” to install.
Microsoft Windows 98SE or ME – Microsoft Activesync 3.8 is required - Click on the following link http://download.oldversion.com/msasync38b5004.exe and run the setup program, “msasync38b5004.exe”. Restart computer after installing.
2. After Microsoft Activesync or Windows Mobile Device Center is installed on your computer, you are ready to install the Map Updater.

3. If this is the first time that you connect a USB storage device to your PC, you might need to install extra software.
4. Microsoft Activesync: As soon as the connection between the PC and the navigator is established, Microsoft ActiveSync on the PC will ask you if you want to set up a new partnership. Select 'Cancel' as this is not necessary and the device will be set up as 'guest'.
5. In the Microsoft ActiveSync window on the PC you see that the Navigator is now connected.
6. Now start up the “map_updater.exe” file, which you have downloaded to your desktop.
7. The map updater will remove previous maps from your device and install the updated map.
8. This installation can take a few hours, depending on the speed of the connection between PC and Navigator.
9. The installation is completed successfully when the Map Updater program notifies you that the download is complete. Disconnect the Tevion GPS Navigator from your computer and it is now ready to use.
If you have further questions, please contact the After Sales Support team on 1300 88 6649 during the office hours of 8:30am – 5pm, Monday to Friday or alternately email info@tempoaustralia.com.au if you have further queries about your Tevion GPS Navigator model 3501.

This was posted up yesterday

rocknrolla
29th November 2008, 11:27 AM
Thanks for the quick response. I did the format and am reinstalling the software again.
I also read here not to use 2gb or higher SD card. I have a 2gb SD card which I started to use last night... but everything else works OK on the unit, just the GPS function.
Also, I called the service number (which suprisingly answered on a Saturday morning) but they only said they'd email me some links to upgrades or something; they didn't want to hear the details of my error message. And I never got the email either...

my girlfriend also rang them this morning to get the update and they told her the server was down and to wait for the email. they must be under the pump!

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 11:34 AM
and????

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 11:42 AM
......The SD card is not recommended to be 2gb or more for some who are wanting to know....

This is a Win CE 6.0 PND. It will run SDHC cards >2GB. Just popped in a 4Gb SDHC card full of pics and it finds everything, just fine.

.... But

As already explained, the CPU is cheap and cheerful and this unit struggles to do anything very quickly. Scrolling photos is like watching grass grow :)

It runs R66 ... just, but that's it folks.

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 11:45 AM
THANKS captain obvious

Nev
29th November 2008, 11:54 AM
and????

THANKS captain obviousWRNYSAH

pappa smurf
29th November 2008, 12:18 PM
sorry neville

phild
29th November 2008, 12:26 PM
I may return this unit because of the slow speed but not sure for the moment. Many years ago I returned a Navman because it was slow and inaccurate. I just took this Tevion for a short run and was quite happy with the way it worked. I left it in the console in front of the ashtray and it had little trouble with the satellites and knowing when to give an instruction so I may not need windscreen mounting. I have next to no experience using gps's but it did seem to work well. I like the way you can enter KFC/suburb and it knows....it didn't know Coles though! I could switch it off to interrupt a trip and it knew to continue when I switched it back on later. One thing though when restarting at a T junction, it didn't instruct me which way to go.
Wish it had a faster processor.

ekman
29th November 2008, 01:04 PM
Hi all
I am a newbie to GPS and have just today bought the Tevion GPS from Aldi

I have one issue - when i search for street e.g Richmond the result shows all sydney Richmond streets as "Richmond [Sydney]. I don't know which one is for the suburb I want..

How do resolve this issue

Another problem is that it shows places of interest although I have unticked it in the settings. They just keep appearing

Thanks in advance

grubco
29th November 2008, 01:16 PM
Wow, talk about slow... after my format, I reinstalled the software from the CD, which took over 2 hours!!! (I also noticed previously that running videos from the SD card was slow and jumpy).
However - the good news is that after the reinstall, the unit works perfectly again! I really didn't expect it. And I have more menus and settings that I swear were not there before... like the ability to set the time now.
Thanks for the help everyone.
If anyone else had this problem, format it and reinstall (and wait...)
Also, I took the SD card out and won't use it again, just in case.

mlenser
29th November 2008, 01:47 PM
I have one issue - when i search for street e.g Richmond the result shows all sydney Richmond streets as "Richmond [Sydney]. I don't know which one is for the suburb I want..

How do resolve this issueHave a read of Post 156 (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=37027&postcount=156) to see how Pappa Smurf updated his unit and fixed this problem.

atropine
29th November 2008, 01:50 PM
The sensis maps and POI's are much better with this new unit (after map fix). I've tried the locations and routes that the old 3501 failed at and this works. It also shows roads that the old one didn't.'

The GPS chipset is faster, and seems more sensitive (more satellites). I don't' like quieter speaker, and slower CPU. I think as an example the TomTom One also has the same CPU and that was a popular unit, so for running this software and other GPS software maybe it'll be just fine.

phild
29th November 2008, 02:02 PM
The sensis maps and POI's are much better with this new unit (after map fix).

The GPS chipset is faster, and seems more sensitive (more satellites). I don't' like quieter speaker, and slower CPU.

Interesting comments Atropine. I thought it's ability to see satellites was very good hence running it from down on the console rather than the windscreen. I wouldn't know about the speaker, I just set her to full volume and she is clear enough for me/

MuLLeT
29th November 2008, 02:45 PM
Gooday all. Nice to find some eager bevers here ready to explore. Anyone got other GPS apps running on the new Aldi/Tevion-3501 with CE6 yet?

I'm one of the geeks that buys it to play rather than find my way home ;)

[from Lotsall/Navsoon to Aldi/Tevion - in joke for a few around here!]

I've tried several iGO8 versions and it simply resets. Tom Tom looks promising but I'll need to work out the registry hack for the maps.

I think we should be able to bypass the boot navigator [\VDisk\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe] and drop into a clean desktop [\windows\explorer.exe] with a few registry tweaks, to choose our GPS nav software preference as before - ie http://navsoon.freeforums.org/lotsall-3775-the-good-oil-wink-t445.html

Just need some time to play with this sucker ;)
It sure is a ssllooowwwww bunny when playing through MS activesync!

Am just updating the maps so R66V8 is still viable (or should I say useable), and a make a few registry backups and then I'll get to play..... ;)

cheers
MuLLeT.

P.S. I tried a boot bypass by holding top menu/power buttons whilst turning on. Came up with 2 chinese menu choices - nothing to loose as there is an image backup on disk - I THOUGHT! Tried both and it totally took out the VDISK and R66. If I could guess what the chinese was I think it was a CE6 ROM reset. At least I now have some FM radio function options and a Bluetooth configuration menu in settings!!! hahahahaa. Would be good if it could find suitable FM output and/or the bluetooth chipset!!!! probably need to spend another $2 chinese to get these functions... lol...

Also tried Format, 'cause I thought it might give a quick way to format and old SD Card full of pictures! Nope - just formats VDISK. So in one day I've rebuilt this ssslllooowwww sucker twice and now updating it to be usefull. I wish I had the sense to just go and buy another proprietary one.... but what the heck..... live and learn - this is too much fun ;)

phild
29th November 2008, 02:54 PM
I'm one of the geeks that buys it to play rather than find my way home ;)

I've tried several iGO8 versions and it simply resets. Tom Tom looks promising but I'll need to work out the registry hack for the maps.

I think we should be able to bypass the boot navigator [\VDisk\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe] and drop into a clean desktop [\windows\explorer.exe] with a few registry tweaks, to choose our GPS nav software preference as before - ie http://navsoon.freeforums.org/lotsall-3775-the-good-oil-wink-t445.html
. At least I now have some FM radio function options and a Bluetooth configuration menu in settings!!! hahahahaa. Would be good if it could find suitable FM output and/or the bluetooth chipset!!!!

Geeze MuLLeT, please share anything you find about this thing...be great if there was bluetooth!

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 02:59 PM
... P.S. I tried a boot bypass by holding top menu/power buttons whilst turning on. Came up with 2 chinese menu choices - nothing to loose as there is an image backup on disk - I THOUGHT! Tried both and it totally took out the VDISK and R66. If I could guess what the chinese was I think it was a CE6 ROM reset.

At least I now have some FM radio function options and a Bluetooth configuration menu in settings!!! hahahahaa.

Would be good if it could find suitable FM output and/or the bluetooth chipset!!!! probably need to spend another $2 chinese to get these functions... lol........ live and learn - this is too much fun ;) Yup I've got that far. I suspect the FM and bluetooth chipsets aren't installed. My 'blow up' happened when trying to activate MioPocket on it. But it all seems a bit indestructible ... and bounces back each time. Only one reload for me and yes it's very tardy.

If you find a way to unlock it .... Would improve the little suckers usefulness somewhat. I was hoping it was to be my new Oziexplorer cross-over GPS :)

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 04:55 PM
The blue thingi is 'bluetooth' and the green one is 'FM'. Looks pretty ... but useless.

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/9647/display1dw8.jpg

phild
29th November 2008, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=Wahroonga Farm]The blue thingi is 'bluetooth' and the green one is 'FM'. Looks pretty ... but useless.

Is that a registry change...how do you get to the registry?

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 05:41 PM
....My 'blow up' happened when trying to activate MioPocket on it. ....
Not recommended :)

Wahroonga Farm
29th November 2008, 05:48 PM
In other words ... I don't have a clue.

I'm not that smart at the nitty gritty.

Hocko69
29th November 2008, 06:30 PM
I got one of these today, and had great difficulty doing everything that involved a computer! The most common problem, whether I was using Windows Vista or XP (different computers, obviously) was that repllog.exe had encountered a serious problem and had to shut down.

I got sick of it after a while, returned the unit whence it came, and got a replacement. Now, when I try to copy files to it in Sync, I get the message that repllog.exe had encountered a serious problem and had to shut down.

Any ideas what this is about, and what, if anything, I can do to fix it?

Thanks

phild
29th November 2008, 07:14 PM
I get the message that repllog.exe had encountered a serious problem and had to shut down.

Thanks
Can't really help with this one but I had no problem after installing activesync as described earlier. Do your other usb devices work ok? How stable do you think your OS is? It would be worth your while to stick with this to 1) resolve your PC problem, and 2) enjoy the benefit to the gps.

MuLLeT
29th November 2008, 07:16 PM
Hocko69,

IMHO, common denominator seems to be your system NOT the device. Uninstall Activesync and then re-install clean activesysnc.

Unit communicates fine on XP pro SP3 for me ;)

MuLLeT

Hocko69
29th November 2008, 08:12 PM
Thanks, guys. I installed activesync twice already, and keep getting the same message. Did a bit more investigation, and it's got something to do with disconnecting and reconnecting the device within 40 seconds as something keeps the port open for that long.

It doesn't help, but at least I know what the problem is.

As regards my OS, I don't trust it at all!

Thank for the help. Also, it's a very good forum. My first GPS so treating it as a new toy, and it's great to have user friendly info and advice.

phild
29th November 2008, 08:13 PM
Do these devices generally use much power in stand-by mode? Cold starts are a bit tedious!

garrycol
29th November 2008, 08:29 PM
Do these devices generally use much power in stand-by mode? Cold starts are a bit tedious!

In sleep mode they run the battery down in about 3 days. All settings except time are maintained - it resets to default time (Jan 2007). It willl synchronise with GPS time after a couple of minutes after going into GPS mode (on the east coast Eastern Standard Time - not Daylight saving time - to get this you need to go back into GPS settings and set time as -11 instead of -10.

Garry

Wahroonga Farm
30th November 2008, 07:00 AM
Hi again,

Has anyone made any progress on this unit? Or any clues or tips as to why it won't boot up another GPS proggie. What and why?

It has an excellent and versatile WIN CE 6.0 screen. You can execute .exe's directly with no mods. Makes running regedit and other proggies a snap.

But why not a GPS proggie?

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/1645/compositeaq2.jpg

Wahroonga Farm
30th November 2008, 07:23 AM
And it even has an inbuilt procedure to modify the internal addressing (gps.txt file) to run another GPS program.

Click the car icon, then select your program

http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/2358/rungpsproggieno1.jpg

But the proggie won't run :(

Meli1073
30th November 2008, 02:46 PM
I bought the Tevion pwm3501 a couple of days ago. I’ve never owned a GPS but have used them in other people’s cars before, so I understand how they’re supposed to work etc. I have one issue with the unit and I’m hoping it’s a software setting or something really basic that I’ve just overlooked. When searching for a street address to navigate to, the search results don’t bring up the suburbs. This is incredibly frustrating - there are numerous streets of the same name in Sydney (and most other Australian cities) but the results list the street name and then Sydney - no suburb to help you choose which one to select and there doesn’t seem to be anyway to get more info about a listing except to select it and hope for the best (my random selections so far have not been very accurate!) Filtering doesn't seem to help at all either. Any help would be gratefully accepted!!

dags
30th November 2008, 03:22 PM
instructions in post #156

I just did it to mine & it works fine now

Wahroonga Farm
30th November 2008, 03:28 PM
First posted at #122 (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/member.php?u=16822) thanks to déjà vu, with discussion prior :)

Meli1073
30th November 2008, 06:10 PM
Thanks guys - i had actually looked through the forum beofre I posted - obviously not hard enough - 13 pages of posts is a killer....
:wave

phild
30th November 2008, 07:11 PM
Discovered another route Whereis website doesn't get right but this Aldi thing does. From this I expect that the Tom Tom and co get it wrong as well. How accurate are others finding the route finding software?
Despite the slow speed, this thing is looking good and I am getting a little hooked on the games as well!

ekman
1st December 2008, 10:55 AM
Hi
i have a bluetooth icon on the PWM-3501
how do i make it work
thanks in advance

Wahroonga Farm
1st December 2008, 11:11 AM
Hi
I have a bluetooth icon on the PWM-3501. How do i make it work
thanks in advance
Read from #171 down. You've activated the software function (how did you achieve this :)), but the hardware is not included in this GPS, so nice to see .... but of no use. :sick3

grubco
1st December 2008, 02:42 PM
My GPS is working okay, but when connecting to my PC to recharge, I get an error message on the taskbar saying:
------------------------------------------------------------
USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED

ONE OF THE USB DEVICES ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER HAS
MALFUNCTIONED AND WINDOWS DOES NOT RECOGNISE IT...
Should I uninstall and reinstall the software again? Or look for some drivers on the CD? There doesn't appear to be much data on the C drive; just the Route66 stuff.
It doesn't bother me too much as I don't need to access the unit for anything, but its annoying to see.
Oh and every other USB device I used, does work OK - just this thing.

atropine
1st December 2008, 03:04 PM
HI,

I tried updating the old 3501 with the new sensis map, but the updater software cant' even see the GPS, or at least it's not seeing the GPS it wants to see.

Does anyone know if there's a file on the new GPS that Id's it'self to the software which then allows for the update, and if so, could I just copy that file to the old GPS and the updater might work?

I don't suppose things that simple?

Wahroonga Farm
1st December 2008, 03:11 PM
My GPS is working okay, but when connecting to my PC to recharge, I get an error message on the taskbar saying:
USB DEVICE NOT RECOGNISED

ONE OF THE USB DEVICES ATTACHED TO THIS COMPUTER HAS
MALFUNCTIONED AND WINDOWS DOES NOT RECOGNISE IT...

It was working here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=37045&postcount=167) ok?

grubco
1st December 2008, 03:41 PM
It was working here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=37045&postcount=167) ok?
Yeah it was - and still is. Only when I connect it to the PC, the PC does not recognise it. I think this started about yesterday, but not entirely sure. But as for just the unit itself, it is working fine.

grubco
1st December 2008, 05:17 PM
You're not going to believe this (ie anyone who has read some of my posts)... re my latest qualm with my GPS not being found by PC when connected... now it is found and detected OK again.
I swear this gadget is deliberately making me look and act like a fool on this forum (its probably laughing at me now...)

Wahroonga Farm
1st December 2008, 05:21 PM
Yes it can be a bit quirky. Needs everything in a 'known state'.

Like a fresh boot of the GPS etc. :)

Note: Updated solutions to all known problems with the Win CE 6.0 Tevion PWM-3501 are here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7938) .

Marlboro2728
1st December 2008, 08:57 PM
I am having trouble getting the GPS to talk to the PC. Tevion advised I needed ActiveSync but you can't get this for Vista. Microsoft advised to use Windows Mobile Device Center but this can't pick up the GPS either. Any suggestions. :sick3

enviro8
2nd December 2008, 04:44 AM
Why don't you try.

Downloading and installing MS ActiveSync and run it in the XP mode.

I took Vista off my computer, but in XP you go to the exe of the program, right click, open "properties", open "compatibilities" and select the appropriate compatable mode.

I assume that there is a similar function with Vista.

Anyway it is worth the try.

Here is a site that confirms the above

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/using-windows-vista-compatibility-mode/

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 05:23 AM
Yes! There is a major problem with Vista (but not XP).

Vista (at least my Home basic) does not support the usb device (Tevion GPS).

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/1237/mobiledevicecentreau7.jpg

Interesting.

Again .... Lean very hard on Tevion Support, as this is completely unacceptable.

IMHO Tevion will need to provide a Vista usb driver for this mobile device. Not sure why XP recognises it though.

Note: Updated solutions to all known problems with the Win CE 6.0 Tevion PWM-3501 are here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7938) .

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 07:39 AM
Tempo Australia are now offering a fix for Vista users.

See details here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=37132&postcount=1) , where Vista users will be mailed an SD card.

Since cards are cheap now, what's the bet it's a 1gb card, rather than a 250Mb?

http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/1479/mediawindowpv2.jpg

My guess is that you'll simply plug the SD card into your Tevion and use the Media Window and the 'Explorer browser function' (the magnifying glass) to navigate to the card and then execute the update program.

I suppose if you cannot talk to the GPS via a PC (seems no one at Tempo Australia could get hold of or write a Vista driver) this was the only way to achieve a good customer outcome.

Messy and expensive.

They've certainly created an interesting problem for themselves :)

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 07:57 AM
BTW Here's Tempo Australia's listing for the PWM-3501.

http://www.tempoaustralia.com.au/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=38&category_id=13&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=71

It's the earlier 400MHz Win CE 5.0 model, not the latest one

And here is the Chinese supplier (I think), but only details of the earlier model.

http://www.power-gps.com/en/chanpin/PWM-3501.html

monica
2nd December 2008, 08:36 AM
HELP!! i bought 2 GPS's from Aldi (Rouse Hill) the other day. I have only turned one on so far and it came up with a blue screen with writing in Chinese.... I got it to finally get to a semi normal screen (somehow) but it is all in chinese, i don't understand / nor read chinese so i can't use it.

I have tried to ring the after sales service with NO LUCK so far. Has anyone else had this happen and fixed it?????

PLS HELP I need to use this ASAP.

ta

m

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 09:10 AM
http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/4439/tevionsp7.jpg

If you go to settings which is the 2nd from bottom (left), it will bring up the settings menu which has 3 icons.

Click the one with the tools icon (left most). That will load the next level down menu which has various settings which are selected by clicking the icons along the top row, one of which is language (the one with the Capital A icon).

English is the uppermost on the left side.

Click it and I hope it fixes your problem.

:)

robdavo
2nd December 2008, 02:42 PM
I want to install iGo8 or TTN6 or Mio or any other GPS program into my PWM 3501 INSTEAD of R66, which is about the worst of the GPS programs to use. But for the life of me, I cannot find the GPSRUNFILE.TXT referred too.
Can anybody tell me in simple terms how to replace the program. I have tried placing iGo8 onto the SD card and selecting it, but nothing happens.

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 02:53 PM
We still don't know how to run all GPS proggies yet on the Win CE 6.0 unit.

A simple method is to select any xyz.exe proggie via the explorer type function in the media window (spy glass), however it appears that certain gps programs will NOT run (as you may have discovered).

I certainly can't get Ozi CE to run (it simply crashes out), but I can get a few others like Smart2go and Navigator to tick over happily. This GPS runs a Port 4 GPS modem. Most Chinese PND's run Port 1 for the GPS chipset.

There's more sophisticated methods further back (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=37105&postcount=185) in this thread at #184 and 185.

Here is the response I received from the manufacturer.

Dear John,

Thank you for using our device.

I am sorry to tell you that if you want to use another GPS software, it maybe cause some unexpectable problem.

Because before we sold out our devices, we had already to send our devices to the map company to debug their software with our device.

If you are good at software knowledge, you can debug it by yourself. But I as I know,besides the Route66 there is only the PolNav software can run in this device.

Thank you.

Steve
So we need some kind soul who's 'good at software knowledge' :)

I simply wish to run Ozi CE.

garrycol
2nd December 2008, 03:22 PM
I have the October version of the 3.5" Tevion - has worked fine since I have had it and in particular the red light and speed camera functions all worked.

On the weekend I connected it to the Route 66 website to see if there were any updates - apparently none - however my red light camera and speed camera alerts no longer work.

I have gone into settings and they are both on - ie use scretch sounds, and visual alert 500m before hand and also advise of nearby cameras off route - settings exactly the same as they were previously.

Any ideas on what has happened?

Thanks

Garry

grubco
2nd December 2008, 05:15 PM
Just curious... how are you guys getting these screen captures from your GPS units? Are they captures, or cropped photos?

mlenser
2nd December 2008, 05:40 PM
I bought my father one of the October Aldi PWM-3501 units and frankly its routing suggests some very odd paths.

Would it be possible to install the new "Sensis" maps in the older style?
Would I just copy over the 198mb .map file to change it?
Would changing to the Sensis maps alter the way the unit determines its routing?

I've tried fastest (car), shortest (car), fastest (lorry) & shortest (lorry) without any real change.

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 05:52 PM
Just curious... how are you guys getting these screen captures from your GPS units? Are they captures, or cropped photos?
Download and unrar this 363KB file

http://www.sendspace.com/file/9m1qkw

and pop it in the 'utilities' folder directly on to your GPS VDISK folder via active sync as shown.

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/1713/vdiskfoldersvf3.jpg

Run the 'utility applications' via Media 'explorer' as explained earlier.

The screen capture one is 'psc.exe'. You'll work it out. :)

But if you break it ...... :sick3

Wahroonga Farm
2nd December 2008, 06:04 PM
I bought my father one of the October Aldi PWM-3501 units and frankly its routing suggests some very odd paths.

Would it be possible to install the new "Sensis" maps in the older style?
Would I just copy over the 198mb .map file to change it?
Would changing to the Sensis maps alter the way the unit determines its routing?

I've tried fastest (car), shortest (car), fastest (lorry) & shortest (lorry) without any real change.
Hi,

Weird routing was THE problem with this unit.

Somewhere in the Tevion threads someone popped up and said that the new loader did not recognise the old Navteq maps.

Thus I suspect (not surprisingly) it's probably a no go.

The new Sensis based model appears to provide much better routes (at least no ones complained :)), and the general driving experience is ok.

So .....

Since the thing is under warranty

.... and the supplier changed the map data within a month

.... perhaps they have recognised a problem

.... and if you lean on them hard

.... they may offer a solution to upgrade from the Navteq to the Sensis maps. That would be excellent. :)

.... But don't hold your breath as I suspect this would mean it would cost them extra licence fees for the Sensis mapping

... but then again your GPS is pretty useless as it is

So have a go at Tempo Australia and escalate to a supervisor etc.

zoszos
3rd December 2008, 11:10 AM
Hi new here and just brought my first gps unit yesterday.
Have read the threads on the 3501 from Aldi and thought of one thing.
As I have Vista and need the update to connect to Vista (lucky I have xp here to update the maps) on a sd card (rang and waiting) is it not possible that someone can upload the file or host somewhere (tempo are you listening).

As it occurred to me there may be times when receiving the sd card may not be possible due to travelling etc and also time constarints etc.

Btw the sd card :hatoff is a good thing to have no complaints there but the above is just an idea.
Kevin

Wahroonga Farm
3rd December 2008, 01:40 PM
OK I guess I just wasn't trying hard enough. :)

Started with a clean install of Ozi CE 2.19 into an 'OziExplorer 2' folder in the root of the SD card, changed the GPS software via the simple

Setting -> GPS -> motor car GPS addressing method

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/1637/bootingoziceri7.jpg

... and hey presto it's perfect (well almost).

Note: I had previously popped in a working OziCE SD card and that was the one that would not run. I still don't know why, as it runs on another Chinese PNA.

Anyhow the Win Ce6.0 Tevion 3501 seems to run OziCe ok on a brief test. The buttons respond relatively promptly, and I can scroll around any map at any zoom level quickly and this is with the full 250k Natmap mosiac loaded (2Gb or so of map on SDHC card).

However there is a Problem

I required an SDHC card for the full 250k Natmap. I picked up a $20 4Gb type 2 San Disk card from Woolies. This runs fine ... but the Tevion won't boot from cold with the SDHC card in the slot.

Remove it, let it boot and insert it and it's all ok. A smaller set of Natmap maps on a standard 1Gb SD card does not have a problem in the boot phase.

So it's still not all onky dory .. but close :)

MuLLeT
3rd December 2008, 05:28 PM
:sick3 Yes, Wahroongah Farm, I have found dumping stuff directly on the SD card doesn't work. It is best to send everything through the (snail) activesync. Even JPG backdrops I was playing with need to go through activesync. Copied direct to SD through USB reader simply gave black pics! I reckon it is something in CE6 which never worried us older CE4.2 users. ;)

MuLLeT.

Wahroonga Farm
3rd December 2008, 05:45 PM
It is best to send everything through the (snail) activesync. .... reckon it is something in CE6 which never worried us older CE4.2 users. ;)

MuLLeT.Ta,

Yes it's all a bit odd some apps are ok others not.

Slow CPU and Win CE 6.0 make it a very different machine. Still the basic menu system and features are ok. It's slow to do everything but once it's running a GPS app, it seems to trundle along ok. :)

Werami
3rd December 2008, 06:17 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here and know nothing about theses things technically and little otherwise. But I noticed that after downloading the Route 66 maps exe from Temposustralia I now have a less precise GPS.

For example:
At roundabouts I know get a voice command " bear left at roundabout" ...this was previously " at the roundabout, take the second exit"

Another example is the screen route showing straight ahead but the voice command saying "bear right". This was after I deviated from the calculated route earlier.

I have 2 of the Tevion PWM-3501s (one's for the folks when visiting the big smoke) so I tried my spare which hasn't been altered from factory and it is giving exit instructions for roundabouts and I also noticed that if I type in the full suburb name "Redcliffe" I get no matches but if I type in "Redcli" it comes back with heaps of matches.

I'm wondering if there was a trade off when the suburb name problem was fixed...or have I inadvertantly changed another setting that has caused the voice commands to change?

Kev

Wahroonga Farm
3rd December 2008, 06:30 PM
All good questions werami. :)

I'm deep in the county so I really don't get a chance to test this thing practically :)

phild
3rd December 2008, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=Werami]

For example:
At roundabouts I know get a voice command " bear left at roundabout" ...this was previously " at the roundabout, take the second exit"

I find it peculiar that at some roundabouts I am instructed to "bear left" rather than a more appropriate proceed through or ahead. I go left only to be taken on some lengthy detour back to the roundabout. Does bear left mean go straight ahead (or take second exit)?!?!

Werami
3rd December 2008, 07:08 PM
After I noticed the change to voice commands on my unit I found the best thing is to follow the screen display.

In my case, where I have 2 units, 1 with the factory setup and another with the downloaded set up I did a back to back test of the same route and at the same roundabout got differing voice commands.

Follow the screen display and you should be right..no pun intended.

I'll call the tech line tomorrow and advise them of my observations.

Cheers
Kev

Wahroonga Farm
3rd December 2008, 07:15 PM
This R66N8 Tevion GPS does appear to be a 'special' nightmare all round. :sick3

I've recently spent 3 months driving in Europe with an old Mio 3.3 GPS travelling UK, Ireland and 1/2 dozen countries in Europe.

Everything was as perfect as it could be with Roundabouts managed without a problem. Then there's overpasses and underpasses and split roads and tunnels and all sorts of nightmarish things to deal with in a strange country.

Miss Mio came up trumps.

Drove in and out of Central Rome in peak hours with nothing but a wing and a prayer and Miss Mio between us and a head on with 50 insane Italian drivers.

She did gracefully ... every time. The missus and Miss Mio had the occasional hissy fit, but that was to be expected. :)

So I guess I'm saying there's GPS software and GPS software.

Route 66 has always been at the bottom, and it looks like it stays there IMHO.

dags
3rd December 2008, 07:43 PM
Bought the Tevion on the weekend & have updated the maps, but havent had a chance to try it in the car yet. I commute to work by train daily, so the GPS is not really going to get a lot of use, but if the Tevion is going to be unreliable on the odd occasion I do want to use it, I might be tempted to return it & spend the extra $70 to get the Garmin. Any opinions on the Nuvi 250 ?

phild
3rd December 2008, 07:45 PM
[QUOTE=Wahroonga Farm]

I've recently spent 3 months driving in Europe with an old Mio 3.3 GPS travelling UK, Ireland and 1/2 dozen countries in Europe.

Everything was as perfect as it could be with Roundabouts managed without a problem. Then there's overpasses and underpasses and split roads and tunnels and all sorts of nightmarish things to deal with in a strange country.

Miss Mio came up trumps.

I don't know anything about Mio but does it work in Sydney?
Whenever I tested the top of range Tom Tom, Garmin, Navman in store, their routes agreed with the Sensis/Whereis web site route. Now why would I want this if these route me over a hardly operating punt at Mortlake when the arterial Concord Bridge should be given. At least R66 gets this right!

Nicko
3rd December 2008, 08:32 PM
what is the GPS set to Phild? most direct, fastest?

phild
3rd December 2008, 08:38 PM
what is the GPS set to Phild? most direct, fastest?

Do you mean the ones I was trying out because I am not sure. Just tried the website and it was showing fastest. So to get there fast at night I am detoured to a punt that will operate sometime the next day.

Werami
3rd December 2008, 09:01 PM
The point I was trying to make was in my case the download may've been a retrograde step which lead to vague voice directions.

In the "testing" I did around Brisbane before the download I couldn't fault the unit except for using the search menu.
The maps and voice directions were spot on.

I'll test my theory about using partial suburb names instead of full names when searching on the unit with standard factory settings some more.

Kev

atropine
3rd December 2008, 10:00 PM
you guys experiencing problem with the updated maps should contact support and let them know. I haven't used it since testing it for a couple of drives after the update. If it says 'bear left' when it should say 'take 2nd exit' etc, then that's something they have to fix. Shouldn't just accept it.

I'd assume this fault is with everyone's unit, but i'll check mine tommorow.

phild
3rd December 2008, 10:27 PM
Just remembered a 3way roundabout where it told me to go straight ahead when I needed the 2nd exit which was a righthand exit ( I think the map indicated correctly though)!

garrycol
4th December 2008, 10:21 AM
I have the October version of the 3.5" Tevion - has worked fine since I have had it and in particular the red light and speed camera functions all worked.

On the weekend I connected it to the Route 66 website to see if there were any updates - apparently none - however my red light camera and speed camera alerts no longer work.

I have gone into settings and they are both on - ie use scretch sounds, and visual alert 500m before hand and also advise of nearby cameras off route - settings exactly the same as they were previously.

Any ideas on what has happened?

Thanks

Garry

Still not advising cameras - the locations are in the system but it does not advise when approaching cameras.

Everytime I have connected to Route 66 via active sync the GPS has had problems afterwards - might be that the PC says to disconnect the GPS but then says the GPS is not connected and to reconnect - when you do nothing happens.

So - I would like to do a complete reinstall from the CD - I have tried but cannot see where the option is to do this.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Garry

déjà vu
4th December 2008, 11:09 AM
I'm returning mine tomorrow...
Reasons:
- Slow, erratic boot up time.
- Fastest/shortest lorry settings never work.
- Seriously bizarre routing at times (shortest route - car) in southwestern Sydney.
- Weird/inaccurate vocal directions.
- The Tomtom One is on sale for $266 somewhere. I read about it in my junk mail.

Most Aldi stuff is great but I don't think this is worth the money, or any more of my time.

atropine
4th December 2008, 01:13 PM
Most Aldi stuff is great but I don't think this is worth the money, or any more of my time.

I agree with you about the tevions, if you wanted to use the original software. I think Aldi regard Australians as Cheap *****s, presumably because statistics say we are.

We used to get the Medion Gopal GPS's which worked really well, and great quality, but Aldi must have decided Australians were too cheap to want to buy Medion so replaced it here with the tevions. It's the same with a whole lot of other products too, we get cheap versions of quality stuff they get overseas.

Wahroonga Farm
4th December 2008, 08:09 PM
I'm returning mine tomorrow...
Reasons:
- Weird/inaccurate vocal directions.
...I could probably live with some funnies, as most GPS have 'brand name' idiosyncrasies, which one quickly learns to accommodate.

I played a bit with it on a trip to Newcastle today. Routings were fine, but the context of the voice direction was simply awful.

# It seems whenever it is 'in doubt' to simply say ... 'Bear left' ... In fact it says 'bear left' far to frequently and at the most asinine places.

# It simply cannot cope with roundabouts as others have noted. Most GPS 'know' the number of roundabout exits and indicate 'straight ahead and take the 2nd exit' etc

# This GPS has no 'knowledge' of the number of roundabout exits. Today it correctly directed me (on the map) to u turn at a 3 exit roundabout. This required me to take the 3rd exit. It simply said 'bear left'. Hopeless! It is simply not safe to watch a GPS and drive. You need to rely on the voice directions, particularly once you are at the intersection.

# And it's other favourite saying is 'follow the road'. Now that's about as useless as they come because I'm certainly not using it to drive around a paddock. Of course I'm following a road. :sick3

# It often indicates to do something 'after the 2nd road' even when there is no '2nd' road in sight. Most GPS's will actually indicate to 'turn right or left' after the 'x number road'.

All fun ... but like déjà vu .... it's most certainly not a keeper. At any price.

And that's despite running Ozi CE 2.19 with the 2Gb Natmap 250k Mosaic on a 4Gb SDHC card, quite well.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9638/natmap250kdisplayfp1.jpg

It has the small problem (already noted) that it won't start with a SDHC card inserted (no matter how it is formatted). And it's does a few other little odd things in Ozi, like not accepting the 'auto GPS' detection switch .... So no real joy with this excellent app either.

phild
4th December 2008, 08:51 PM
Bit by bit I am not getting use to the roundabout instructions. Todays use and it got the few roundabouts I used with correct instruction. I don't understand how it gets a mix of correct and incorrect audible instruction for this. It's a programmed piece of technology. How can it possibly not relate to the map information that it derives its route from!
Maybe male oration could better resolve the workings of a roundabout!?

garrycol
5th December 2008, 08:44 AM
I could probably live with some funnies, as most GPS have 'brand name' idiosyncrasies, which one quickly learns to accommodate.

I played a bit with it on a trip to Newcastle today. Routings were fine, but the context of the voice direction was simply awful.

# It seems whenever it is 'in doubt' to simply say ... 'Bear left' ... In fact it says 'bear left' far to frequently and at the most asinine places.

# It simply cannot cope with roundabouts as others have noted. Most GPS 'know' the number of roundabout exits and indicate 'straight ahead and take the 2nd exit' etc

# This GPS has no 'knowledge' of the number of roundabout exits. Today it correctly directed me (on the map) to u turn at a 3 exit roundabout. This required me to take the 3rd exit. It simply said 'bear left'. Hopeless! It is simply not safe to watch a GPS and drive. You need to rely on the voice directions, particularly once you are at the intersection.

# And it's other favourite saying is 'follow the road'. Now that's about as useless as they come because I'm certainly not using it to drive around a paddock. Of course I'm following a road. :sick3

# It often indicates to do something 'after the 2nd road' even when there is no '2nd' road in sight. Most GPS's will actually indicate to 'turn right or left' after the 'x number road'.

All fun ... but like déjà vu .... it's most certainly not a keeper. At any price.

And that's despite running Ozi CE 2.19 with the 2Gb Natmap 250k Mosaic on a 4Gb SDHC card, quite well.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/9638/natmap250kdisplayfp1.jpg

It has the small problem (already noted) that it won't start with a SDHC card inserted (no matter how it is formatted). And it's does a few other little odd things in Ozi, like not accepting the 'auto GPS' detection switch .... So no real joy with this excellent app either.

Which 3501 are we talking about - the October version gives very good instructions - correct exits at roundabouts, bear left when you need to move to the left - take the second road when there are two roads etc. I have found new quick routes that I did not even know about. I have to agree - some weird ones as well - but commonsense makes these obvious.

Mins has lost speed cameras but that was a result of connecting it to the route 66 site - still no responses to my post above on how to ininstall the complete system from the cd.

How do you do it?????

Garry

AntMan
5th December 2008, 08:48 AM
Hi Everyone .. I am experiencing exaclty the same issue with the roundabout confusion ..i have used the unit on several trips in sydney and providing you go no where near a round about all things are good. I have emailed tempo australia on mon 1/12 (yet to receive a reply) I have just now logged a call with their support desk ..they are going to investigate ..I will post a reply when received ..

Wahroonga Farm
5th December 2008, 10:49 AM
Which 3501 are we talking about .....I'm bangin' on 'bout the November 17 WinCE 6.0 model, which originally would not search suburbs (Sensis 2008 Q4) but now with the updated (Sensis 2008 Q4a) maps. :)

darylr
5th December 2008, 11:06 AM
Hi Everybody,

I hope somebody from Tevion Support is following these threads. It will give them some insight into the problems associated with the Tevion units. Maybe they should hand out some test models to some of our experienced users to ensure they do everything right before releasing them onto an uninitiated public. :sick3

Have a great weekend :wave

regards

Darylr

Wahroonga Farm
5th December 2008, 01:07 PM

Wahroonga Farm
5th December 2008, 01:41 PM
Looks like a new 221Mb FTP download available :)

http://www.tempoaustralia.com.au/gps/

Wonder if this fixes roundabouts?

http://img385.imageshack.us/img385/7656/tempoaustraliaftpdownlokn9.jpg

tigergt
5th December 2008, 01:55 PM
I updated the software because of the suburbs profile and now everytime i approach a roundabout whether im meant to go straight or take the third exit it just says, Turn left.
Everytime i get to a round about its "Turn Left" even though its showing to go straight. Anyone having similar issues?

Wahroonga Farm
5th December 2008, 02:09 PM
I updated the software because of the suburbs profile and now everytime i approach a roundabout whether im meant to go straight or take the third exit it just says, Turn left.
Everytime i get to a round about its "Turn Left" even though its showing to go straight. Anyone having similar issues?
Yup plenty of folk. See Post # 232 for example?

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showpost.php?p=37294&postcount=232

grubco
5th December 2008, 02:25 PM
I've only done 1 long drive with my unit so far (the November model), and that was to go to the airport from western Sydney last weekend.
At round-a-bouts, it gave the correct instructions, ie, "at the round-a-bout, take the second exit" as my friend's TomTom one does. The "bear left" alerts (I had a few) always made sense according that particular road, and my red-light/radar camera alerts are still working. (It found a hidden(?) speed camera under a bridge on the M5 that I didn't know about).
So now I'm worried that it might crap itself one day and cease to function this well. To that end, I'm not going to fiddle or touch any of its inner workings (ie the operating system, etc).
I agree that most Aldi gadgets are quite good, and having bought a few various things over the years, I also agree that some are not as good. Here's hoping this unit doesn't end up in the latter basket like the 20gb recordable Multimedia player I bought a few years ago (rip).

Wahroonga Farm
5th December 2008, 02:43 PM
....At round-a-bouts, it gave the correct instructions, ie, "at the round-a-bout, take the second exit" as my friend's TomTom one does. The "bear left" alerts (I had a few) always made sense according that particular road, and my red-light/radar camera alerts are still working.....
Map 2008 Q4 - 188Mb map file

The out of the box November unit seems to navigate fine and deals with roundabouts. It can't however search for suburb based addresses. BIG problem :sick3

Map 2008 Q4a - 204Mb map file dated 25/11/08

So this map was rushed out via SD card (for Vista users) and internet download (for XP users). It fixes the suburb search problem, but introduced a voice context issue, particularly at roundabouts. Next BIG problem. :sick3

Map 2008 Q4a - 214Mb map file dated 01/12/08

Just released. Will it fix any problems. Doesn't appear to? :hatoff

dags
6th December 2008, 09:57 AM
used it on a trip from Gosford to Surry Hills this morning. Directions ok, except it got a bit confused on the Western Distributor & took me via Wattle & Harris streets, which I doubt is the most direct route from Harbour Bridge to Surry Hills. I was running late when I left home, so didnt have much time to play with it, so dont know if it was something I missed setting, but I found the map display never moved from where I set off. The directions followed my progress, but even when I got to Surry Hills, the map was still displaying my street in Gosford.
It's definately going back to Aldi & I will probably get the Garmin Nuvi 250 from JB for $192. This was my first ever drive with GPS, but I can see that spoken street name directions would be so much better than "bear left". If I was to use it regulary in the city, I would definitely go for a model with spoken street names, but for the use I will get out of it, the Garmin 250 will probably do

phild
6th December 2008, 10:38 AM
The directions followed my progress, but even when I got to Surry Hills, the map was still displaying my street in Gosford.

Yes it does tend to stay on a map but I found a press on the back arrow gets the current position map properly showing.

Jason_dinAlt
6th December 2008, 01:03 PM
I had the dreaded reinstall application error message. Reloading from the cdrom does not fix it. BUT, if you FORMAT disk first then reinstall it works a charm, plus there seems to be a load of extra options and menus available. The software that it came preloaded with had a bug that if you were already navigating and then decided to press "navigate" to a new location it would momentary pop up, then disappear without letting you enter a location and then decide that you want to navigate to the location you were at when you pressed navigate, ridiculous! That bug is gone when you load the software from the cdrom. It also didnt allow you to exit many screens unless you selected a new option, but this is also fixed with the software that is on the cdrom

My only complaint now is it takes a tad over TWO hours to reload the software form the cdrom

grubco
6th December 2008, 01:06 PM
I have a query... probably others have noticed it too.
As I said, my unit's voice road directions and other features are a-ok... but I query its "best direct route" ability. Going from Sydney's west (Blacktown area) to Darling Harbour today, I used the M4 to the end at Burwood - but the unit constantly wanted me to get off the M4 and use Great Western Highway instead, when with all its traffic lights/intersections, it would definately be a longer way to go. I had it set for Fastest Car and Don't Avoid Tollways... So is this a bug others have noticed too?

grubco
6th December 2008, 01:09 PM
I had the dreaded reinstall application error message. Reloading from the cdrom does not fix it. BUT, if you FORMAT disk first then reinstall it works a charm, plus there seems to be a load of extra options and menus available. The software that it came preloaded with had a bug that if you were already navigating and then decided to press "navigate" to a new location it would momentary pop up, then disappear without letting you enter a location and then decide that you want to navigate to the location you were at when you pressed navigate, ridiculous! That bug is gone when you load the software from the cdrom. It also didnt allow you to exit many screens unless you selected a new option, but this is also fixed with the software that is on the cdrom

My only complaint now is it takes a tad over TWO hours to reload the software form the cdrom
Hi. I experienced the same thing... the Reinstall Application Error, the format, the new extra menus... mine works better now too.

phild
6th December 2008, 06:40 PM
Hi. I experienced the same thing... the Reinstall Application Error, the format, the new extra menus... mine works better now too.
Just wondering what aspects of the unit are working better now? Had you already done the Q4a Sensis upgrade before the reinstall?

grantbriss
6th December 2008, 08:41 PM
...it is now giving me the following message:
GPS Executable file set in gps.txt (\VDisk\MobileNavigator\MobileNavigator.exe)
is not valid, use default exe
Any suggestions?
Grantbriss