PDA

View Full Version : Hitachi

albanywa
16th October 2008, 06:48 PM
I didn't have a clue about GPS but I wanted a GPS to log the position of plants I found in the bush and to get me out if I got lost.
I was offered what seemed like a bargain in the local Retravision. I soon worked out it wasn't what I wanted but thought I could make do.
Today I compared my reading with another users and it was very different. I entered the position into Google maps and that looked about 50kms out!
I think it uses Sensis maps and the road directions seem to be OK, but not when I try to get a position.

Anybody help me with this Please

Nicko
16th October 2008, 06:50 PM
It may not have enough decimal places to show the correct accuracy, what co-ord did you try to put into google?

albanywa
16th October 2008, 06:59 PM
When I did comparison it was degrees out.
117.786 -34.3700 was taken in Frankland WA just off the Frankland/Rocky Gully road, where theres a road off to the golf cou course and rubbish tip. It's Racecourse rd

Would degrees, mins, secs be more accurate?

The Explorer
16th October 2008, 07:48 PM
Hello
Appears to me that you (or the GPS?) have left a digit out.
The co-ords you provided..

117.786 -34.3700

plot in Stirling Range NP (miles away from Frankland as you suggest)...but, add a "0" to the Longitude

117.0786 -34.3700

and it plots in the area you mention.

My suggestion - have another look at the numbers you recorded/entered.

Cheers
Greg
PS drove through Frankland on Saturday!!

albanywa
16th October 2008, 08:57 PM
DUH! :beta
I haven't found a way to record positions in the unit yet, so I took a photo of it.
That's my excuse :)
Thanks Greg!

The Explorer
16th October 2008, 09:21 PM
Dont worry - we've all done it. Transcribing long numbers will inevitability result in errors. If you find yourself using a GPS on a regular basis, getting one that records waypoints (and tracks) along with the facility to download the data via a computer into a gps mapping program (thereby removing the "middle man") will remove significant opportunities for error...and make your life easier (except when the GPS/PC doesn't work :)

Cheers
Greg