PDA

View Full Version : Using MapSource and nRoute with an old GPS

aka_db
6th November 2005, 07:37 AM
Hi, new here so apologise for asking a question that may have been answered before. I have been trying to find out if I can use MapSource and nRoute in particular with my old Garmin GPS 45Xl. I havent been able to find out if this will work, I am guessing that as no info is about, it probably won't. Has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks, db..

Ozzie
6th November 2005, 09:45 AM
Im not to sure if you can use mapsource for what you want, as I use Megellan, maybe someone here can help you with that. what I can suggest to you is to try using OziExplorer as your moving map. OziExplorer is one of the most compatable software around and will do most things that you need, whether you have a garmin or megellan.

Ozzie

arthurking83
6th November 2005, 10:21 AM
What I've been reading about Mapsource is that it needs "unlock codes" (??)
So going with that kind of info I'd reckon it won't work??

I'm assuming you want this to work for auto-routing?
If it's only for realtime navigating, ie. just to view where you are, there are other software products available. As Ozzie said, Ozi is good for realtime navigating.

There is another piece of software called RemoteGIS (http://www.remotegis.com/) . It's vector based, so you can download all of Aus vector info at 250K, from Natmap for use as the maps, and the total cost would be $0.00 :D

If you wanted autorouting abilities, you could try Destinator and other programs like that.............

cheers.

aka_db
6th November 2005, 11:43 AM
Thanks for your comments, I have a Garmin GPS 45XL, 10+ yeasr old, still works well and I don't really want to replace it, I use OziEx. now and find this very capable. I was just considering moving up to routing after playing in a friends Challenger the other day which has this capability standard. I will have a look though at the RemoteGis site, always happy to try new toys.

Thanks, DB.

arthurking83
6th November 2005, 01:10 PM
A lot of cars have navigation devices onboard. My greatest concern with these is the availability of updated maps as the years roll on.......

Same goes with any GPSr and its associated mapping, but there are far more 'enthusiasts' working on mapping projects for each model of GPSr to satisfy those concerns, than with the navigation devices fitted by car manufacturers!

cheers.

Dooghan
6th November 2005, 06:54 PM
hey aka_db

This is what Mapsource help file says about waypoint, route and track management:
Waypoint/Route/Track Management

MapSource is compatible with all Garmin GPS systems except the GPS 100 family of products (including GPS 100AVD, GPS 100MRN, GPS 100MIL, and SRVY II) and Panel Mount Aviation products.I can confirm this as my software is registered to a 60CS but my basic Etrex work well with the software. I have tried nRoute but as I have not got City Navigator it only shows a basic map. But the Etrex does work with it and will do realtime navigating. So it seem that all the unlock code does is unlock the maps to give you more detail on the computer and also so you can upload maps to the GPS.

Hope that helps

Dooghan

Nicko
6th November 2005, 11:34 PM
Metroguide, BlueChart, City Navigator and City Select only work with mapping devices from Garmin. Two things here, mapping device meaning you can install maps, and examples of a mapping device from Garmin are the GPS III, GPS III+, StreePilot series, eMAP, Legend, Vista, GPS V and any unit that has GPSMAP at the start of it's model name. The 45/38/12 series, Geko series, Etrex, Etrex Camo, Etrex Summit, Etrex Venture & GPS 72 cannot have maps installed at all. The second issue is that these so called mapping devices have an "internal" serial number, or if you like, an electronic identification number, which the above mapsource software reads and determines them to be Garmin mapping units.

nRoute allows City Navigator, City Select and, if I'm not mistaken, Bluechart, to be installed onto a PC or laptop to provide routing capabilities when employing nRoute along with one of the afore mentioned programs. If you do not have nRoute then the afore-mentioned programs do not allow you to route on your laptop. Remember, Metroguide will not and cannot provide auto routing like City Navigator and City Select does. It will point you in the right direction, with an arrow pointed at the final destination, but does not guide you street by street.

Without the required mapping Garmin models you cannot achieve what you desire. Thus, buy a mapping unit, such as a Garmin legend or GPSMap 76, City Navigator and nRoute and you will have everything you need for your laptop to work as a really big Garmin screen.

If you are into going bush then you will not find a product from Garmin that will cover the outback tracks etc as extensively as Magellan does. However, Magellan does not produce auto-routing software. City Navigator and Metroguide pretty much limit themselves to bitumen and any city or major town that runs along them.

If you want the best of both worlds, then get Travroute PC software, OziExplorer PC software, the NATMAP Raster maps, your 45XL connected to the laptop and away you go. And to boot, on this web site are free tracks!

Pluto
7th November 2005, 09:09 AM
......If you are into going bush then you will not find a product from Garmin that will cover the outback tracks etc as extensively as Magellan does...While this statement is true, there are third party maps available for use with Mapsource and Garmin Mapping GPS Units, that do cover non-metro areas.

In particular, Track4Australia (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tracks4australia/) provide free map downloads that are continually upgraded through contributions from subscribers.

aka_db
7th November 2005, 05:46 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. I am getting a clearer picture of me spending more money than would be worthwhile. I don't really need something to tell me where to go anyway. I already have someone to do that :) . I appreciate the advice and think I might find a better project to fulfill my spare time and stay with OziEx and my peacful maps...db.

arthurking83
7th November 2005, 06:48 PM
I am getting a clearer picture of me spending more money than would be worthwhile. I don't really need something to tell me where to go anyway. I already have someone to do that :) ....db.

That's the intended function of this site (as far as I'm aware :D )

I really don't believe that auto routing software is any good (?? kind of!)
I work as a courier, and I reckon a good sense of direction is more important, and also a good sense of impending "doom" ahead too!

Auto routing doesn't take into consideration peak-hour traffic jams, and temporary road blockages (accidents, etc).
As these occurences happen all to frequently, you'd be getting better 'value for money' with decent hardware or better, updated maps!

This is easy for me to say as I get around most places easily enough. But, as the type of person that has dreams about maps :o ........
Uh! hang on, scrap that last bit.......
I do tend to read maps quite a lot, especially when I travel/holiday etc.
Getting around unfamiliar places the best mapping (I found!) is the good 'ol Melway/UBD style books.
I do use the MeriColor sometimes (last week I navigated to a regional hospital easier!) to get to specific points when I get (way) out of town (Melb).
Even though the Meridian doesn't have auto routing, finding my way around Canberras' roundabout maze was quite easy.

Sense of direction! Oh! and lots of zooming around the screen :D
One of those 7" Lilliput screens (even better a 10.4").....that'd be nice!