PDA

View Full Version : Geocache Found

Jackaroo
8th November 2005, 06:36 PM
Just a short post to share the news. Found my first geo-cache today.
Spent 15 minutes climbing around the North Mole in Fremantle, looking into all sorts of crevaces, and there it was.

What other members are into Geocaching, if any.

Craigus
8th November 2005, 07:04 PM
well done!!

I'm intreged to know more about the whole 'cache thing'.. we (the wife and I) have been talking about doing it for a while now, just a matter of finding the time and reading some more. :cool:

energizer61
8th November 2005, 07:12 PM
Congratulations on your first find :)
It's a great use for the GPS
it can become addictive though, you have been warned ;)
I've found over 300, hidden around 28 & got more in the pipeline. I know there are others here that are into caching as well, so you may get some caching tips here... best place to talk caching though is http://forums.geocaching.com.au :)

arthurking83
8th November 2005, 08:25 PM
Good one, Jackaroo!

I'm still waiting to find my first.........and still hoping to find the time :D

Been thinking about do'in it for some time now, and I reckon my 5 year old will love it!
I'll dress him up like Capt Feathersword!
I'm half way there.....with the peg leg! (knee injury!)

cheers.

gammapisigma
8th November 2005, 11:33 PM
Well done Jackaroo,

Wishing you many finds. Caching can be a lot of fun.

Cheers,
GammaPiSigma.
A caching family.

Jackaroo
9th November 2005, 11:44 AM
it can become addictive though, you have been warned ;)
Yes - can be very Addictive.

Have searched geocache.com and have happily been punching co-ordinates into the GPS. Have about 10 now that are close to Home.....and are just screaming to be found

Looks like a few detours on the way home from work

Aushiker
10th November 2005, 06:34 PM
Well done Jackaroo.

There is a good group here in WA. Check out the GCA forums mentioned early. Good crowd over there.

Andrew

brisey
13th November 2005, 09:58 PM
Good on ya Jakaroo, I was introduced to geocaching by a mate a few months ago & we usually check out which caches are around when we plan a 4 wheel drive trip. Try some of the caches Team Landcruiser has from the geocache australia site he leads you into some good scenic areas.

MarkkyMarkk
14th November 2005, 09:44 AM
Jackaroo,

I just found mt first geocache yesterday, too. The 5 year old thought it was great. I told him that we we're going on a treasure hunt and he was sooo excited. However, he wasnt too keen on the *****ly bushes we had to walk through, and also the fact that we had to leave other treasure behind & rehide the cache. Anyway - we're definitely going to do more in the future.

If you get tired of trying to type out cahce coords all the time, try downloading GSAK (Geochacing Swiss Army Knife) which is free & allows you to download the .loc files from www.geocaching.com strainght into it. It allows you to click on each cache & shows you the web page again for clues. You can also show each one in OziExplorer, & also send the points straight to your GPS. Save heaps of time & you dont have to worry about misstyping coords.

mav282054
24th November 2005, 05:11 AM
Geocaching is a great pastime and great fun for the kids too if you want them to do a bit of healthy walking.
Whenever I am overseas and get a chance to wander, it is the old faithful GPS unit loaded up with waypoints of places I am going that is also enjoyable.

Most geocaches have young kids toys in them (or the young at heart) and is interesting to follow Travelbugs (moving them on to other geocaches spots).

Quite addictive.