PDA

View Full Version : Carputer or mini Laptop ???

fni493
8th November 2008, 03:48 PM
As xmas is coming up soon I was thinking of getting myself a present, for a long time I have been looking at getting a small computer to use in the car for navigation both Ozi and street navigation, maybe now even look at in car video, reversing camera and possibly interface with the head unit. Unfortunately my knowledge is limited and with so many new mini laptops coming out I get even more confused on which way to go. I am looking at mounting a touch screen in the dash and would like your suggestions or recomendations on which would be the better option. My preference at the moment is something with a ss drive and possibly hooked up to some sort of power supply that can be be programmed to switch the computer on and off with the ignition, will these new Eeepc/ Dell etc be the best option or a mini computer.

Thanks for any replies
Confused

eden
8th November 2008, 05:02 PM
honestly you could go either way, depends on your budget. good thing about the lappy is you can still have the touch screen and camera, then take it out. but then if you use it a lot it could beome a pain in the butt. depends on cash and what you want to do. also depends on what you want to use it for hence the size of the cpu.

UncySpam
17th November 2008, 11:09 AM
I have been through the car pc phase, and just recently bought myself an eeePC 701. This now does my carpc duties, with far lass hassle and drama than my previous setups, and for far cheaper.

I'd recommend you check them out and see if an eeePC or other mini laptop will do the job first, before spending on a carpc.