PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Etrex Legend & moving map?

MKPatrol
10th November 2005, 12:59 PM
I just got myself a Garmin Etrex Legend, and i wanna connect it to the laptop and have moving map and all that good stuff. But i have no idea how to do it, and what programs i need and so on. I would like the most detailed maps, of the countryside and also the metro areas, just like a street directory.
Can anyone help?

Craigus
10th November 2005, 01:03 PM
Moved here by me, you have a better chance of getting the help you're after here rather thin on the back of another thread.. :cool:

Jackaroo
10th November 2005, 01:10 PM
For the country areas i use OziExplorer http://www.oziexplorer.com/ It can be used around the city as well but detail not as good

I also have the Natap raster series of maps that I use with Ozi.

With this i connect my legend to the laptop via the eTrex pc cable, start the moving map process and a big red arrow appears on the map where i am.

I was quite surprised at how easy this process was

As I said, there is probably much better applications around for city navigating

;)

Craigus
10th November 2005, 01:19 PM
For city or street level navigation (with voice) you can't go past Destinator with FreeDrive as your front end. 3 Months in and I haven't been lost on the road yet. :D *TOUCH WOOD* :eek: and for all your off-road work OziExplorer is king, if you use our maps. :rolleyes:

MKPatrol
10th November 2005, 03:31 PM
Ive got OziExplorer, dont have destinator yet.
I dont have any maps, except the standard Ozi ones. Can anyone donate me some maps, im in WA?
Thanks