PDA

View Full Version : Australian 250K Raster maps now online

The Explorer
12th November 2005, 07:10 AM
Raster maps now online - from https://www.ga.gov.au/
"Geoscience Australia’s 1:250,000 scale national topographic data,TOPO-250K RASTER, is now available free online. It forms the backbone of NATMAP Raster products which are popular in the recreational and commercial markets.

This much anticipated release will be of significant benefit to GIS users across a wide range of applications, such as regional planning, agriculture, emergency management, environment, tourism and map based presentations. Commercial map makers will also benefit, with the data (an alternative to vector data) allowing for the development of commercial map products for tourism and other markets.

TOPO-250K RASTER is made available free online as part of the Australian Government's Spatial Data Access and Pricing Policy.

The TOPO-250K RASTER data is a raster version of Geoscience Australia's GEODATA TOPO-250K Series 2 national fundamental vector data.

The TOPO-250K RASTER data can be downloaded free as individual mapsheets by visiting our Free Downloads page and searching on topography. Users are required to complete a simple registration process and use the data in accordance with the licence provisions"

Good Stuff
Cheers
Greg

bushie
12th November 2005, 07:49 AM
Boy you have to be quick, I was just going to post this info

direct link

https://www.ga.gov.au/products/servlet/controller?event=DEFINE_PRODUCTS

Available as ECW raster no border info, legend as separate .jpg image they will be a bit more challenging to calibrate (although I think they list the map extents on a different page.
(different vector formats also available)

Yeah, forgot about the import DRG :eek: ,,works fine.

Bushie

mitchofsutho
12th November 2005, 07:54 AM
I've got to get up pretty early to beat you Bushie! :p

Jackaroo
12th November 2005, 07:57 AM
The Map Datum for the AusWay maps = Australian Geocentric 1994 (GDA94)

Thanks for the detailed instructions on importing and settings mitchofsutho

Is the Map Datum correct as you mention the Ausway maps not the Raster Maps :confused:

mitchofsutho
12th November 2005, 08:07 AM
Thanks for the detailed instructions on importing and settings mitchofsutho

Is the Map Datum correct as you mention the Ausway maps not the Raster Maps :confused:

Opps :o I had cut and paste similar instructions from the Ausway thread and edited it to suit the NatMap thead. I have now edited the original instructions so read NatMap and not Ausway.

GDA94 is the correct datum for both the current Ausway and the current NatMaps.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention. I'm supprised Bushie didn't catch me out!

bushie
12th November 2005, 08:32 AM
Not on that one Mitch but import DRG doesn't seem to work

Its OK though if you go to import ECW (although you do get a warning about Auslig files not having accurate info).

From the tracks I have laid over them out as far as dubbo and Dunnes swamp etc they seem OK.

*Its also a fast link, to down load 12 maps in around 10min :) *

Bushie

mitchofsutho
12th November 2005, 08:56 AM
Not on that one Mitch but import DRG doesn't seem to work

Its OK though if you go to import ECW (although you do get a warning about Auslig files not having accurate info).

From the tracks I have laid over them out as far as dubbo and Dunnes swamp etc they seem OK.

Bushie

Okay, You win! :( ...I obviously did not get up early enough!

Although DRG will allow the image to import, it does not convert the coordinates. I was too quick with the cut and paste, particularly as I have imported heaps of those maps before using ECW!

The correct instruction should read:

"Select ECW Maps (UTM or Lat/Long based only)"

Craigus, as 30 mins has now passed, and I can not edit the post, can you please make the above changes to the original post regarding importing NatMap images to OziExplorer and change "Select all DRG Maps on a CD or in a Folder" - to read "Select ECW Maps (UTM or Lat/Long based only)"

Thanks
Mitch

mitchofsutho
12th November 2005, 12:11 PM
Craigus,

As there are a few difference importing ECW files and DRG, etc image files in OziExplorer, I have rewritten the importing instructions for importing the NatMap ECW files. See below.

To avoid confussion, can you please delete my original post on this subject.

Regards
Mitch

To import the NatMap 250K image files into OziExplorer, do the following:

Download required files.
Unzip the files into a folder, say the Temp Folder. There will be three files for each map. An ECW image file; Legend .JPG file; and a Copyright .TXT file.

In the event that multiple ECW map image files have been unzipped into the Temp Folder (or whatever), as the same file names are used for the Legend and Copyright files, these will obviously be overwritten.
If you have not already done so, create a folder under C:/....OziExplorer/Map/ ,called something like NatMap 250K. This is where the map images and .map files will be located.
Open OziExplorer.
Under the File Menu, click on "Import Map".
Select "ECW Maps (UTM or Lat/Long based only)"
In the "Image File Path" box, enter the folder in which you unzipped the files. eg Temp Folder.
In the "Map File Path" box enter the end destination of the map files. Eg C:/.....OziExplorer/Maps/NatMap 250K (or whatever you called it). The folders need to have already been created.
Click "Import"
A warning message may display stating: "You may be attempting to import Auslig RASTER 250K Release 2 maps. The internal Georeferencing in these maps is not accurate enough for precise GPS positioning using OziExplorer." - Click "OK".

The later releases of the NatMap (former Auslig) Raster 250K do not appear to have this issue.
A Window advises how many maps were successfully imported.
If still open, close the Import application by clicking "OK".
Ensure that both the ECW Map Image files (downloaded) and the newly created .map file, (created by OziExplorer), are in the same folder, i.e C:/.....OziExplorer/Maps/NatMap 250K (or whatever you called it), as by default, OziE looks for them under this folder unless alternative folders have been specified under the Map Image tag in the Configuration settings.
If you desire, you can now delete the Legend and Copyright files you unzipped into the Temp folder.
You will now be able to load and view the NatMap images in OziE.

arthurking83
12th November 2005, 01:26 PM
Done mitch!

are these the actual images?

I've been downloading the vector info (for the last 3 months or so, very tedious!) these maps are based on.

cheers.

bushie
13th November 2005, 08:50 AM
These maps are raster images as ECW files. When you select your maps you now have the options of various vector formats or the ecw raster image.

Bushie