PDA

View Full Version : topo map

joelie-boi
25th November 2008, 01:02 PM
i have i cheapo gps from ebay, the sd card it with runs route 66, is ther any way that i could run topo maps on there for off road use

festy
25th November 2008, 01:56 PM
There's a fair chance you can run OziexplorerCE on it, but you'd probably have to do a bit of fiddling to get it installed.

Wahroonga Farm
25th November 2008, 04:57 PM
You can almost certainly run Ozi CE on it. And this is really what all the fuss about cheap chinese GPS is all about. Run Ozi Ce on a 4.3" unit and you've got yourself a very cheap Hema navigator.

You need to work out how the GPS program on the SD card is 'addressed' when you hit the 'navigation button'.

Some use a 'shell.ini' file, which you can open and modify with Wordpad or any text editor.

Have a poke around and report back.

Enviro8 is good at this stuff. :)

Wahroonga Farm
25th November 2008, 05:26 PM
Just to clarify the additional costs.

$130 - Oziexplorer (you need this to generate map files for OziCe maps)

$40 - OziCE to run on your GPS

0$ - Img2ozf (http://www.oziexplorer3.com/img2ozf/img2ozf.html) (from Oziexplorer) to convert .ecw to .ozfx3 images

$99 - Natmap 250k (All Aus)

Total investment = $269

Then you could add Hema maps if you so desired for a full Hema navigator

Wahroonga Farm
25th November 2008, 07:58 PM
One other limitation.

If you go the 'no name' GPS route, (or any GPS for that matter), make sure it has a WinCE 5.0 OS or higher.

Why?

Because Win Ce 5.0 and up supports SDHC CD cards. Win CE 4.2 doesn't. So the SD card limit for Win CE 4.2 PNA/PDA is 2Gb.

So what?

Well. :)

If you wish to run Ozi CE with the full Natmap 250k mosaic plus a few other maps, you'll be looking at a 4Gb SDHC SD card. The Natmap 250k mosaic won't compress to less than 2Gb.

You can still run the Natmap 250k but you'll need to load a couple of the smaller map mosaics (north south slices of Australia). Maybe a few 2Gb cards if your going on a really really long and determined treck. Not quite a Hema.

Many cheap GPS are still Win CE 4.2.

It makes the Aldi Tevion look good :)