PDA

View Full Version : Shonkymaps inaccessible on C510

countryslicker
2nd December 2008, 08:03 AM
I have downloaded and installed the very latest firmware for my Garmin, and the latest versions of MapInstall, MapMaker and RoadTrip.

I then downloaded the Mac version of ShonkyMaps and successfully installed them all using MapInstall on my desktop G4 running Tiger 10.4.8. (refuses to install under Leopard).

RoadTrip works perfectly on my Mac with any maps – absolutely amazing.

But no matter what I try, I cannot access these maps on my Garmin StreetPilot C510. Under map settings I can see City Navigator 9 (can be selected on or off), and under that ”[1] ALL” (meaningless to me and unselectable).

The 2GB SD card in my Garmin contains a folder called “Garmin”. Inside that is a 411 MB file called “gmapsupp.img”.

Just wondering if there is an incompatibility problem between my Garmin model and Mac ShonkyMaps.

I don’t own a PC, and don’t know anyone who has one, so trying some sort of Windows/Mac conversion would be almost out of the question.

Any advice appreciated.

Robert

(I realise there is a similar earlier post, but no particular Garmin model was mentioned, and I’m not sure what the maps referred to are).

Dooghan
2nd December 2008, 05:02 PM
Turn off the CN 9 maps and you should see Shonky Maps. You can't use both at the same time.

countryslicker
2nd December 2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks Dooghan, but I've already tried deselecting CN9 many times, but it makes no difference on my Garmin. I can still see maps, but they are the same as CN9. They look nothing like the Full Topo ShonkyMap I can see on my Mac with RoadTrip.

Robert

Gee_You Patrol
2nd December 2008, 06:01 PM
In map info on the gpsr how many maps are shown on the screen

Nev
2nd December 2008, 06:03 PM
Have you tried a direct download of the gmapsupp.img file from here (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2525&page=1&highlight=Shonkymaps)?
Which leads to: "Click Here for the datacard installable version (http://www.gpstechnologies.com.au/gpsaustralia/garmin/gmapsupp.img)".

Works fine on all my Garmin GPS units (and others).

countryslicker
2nd December 2008, 06:16 PM
Gee You Patrol
As I mentioned in my original post, under map settings I can see City Navigator 9 (can be selected on or off), and under that ”[1] ALL” (meaningless to me and unselectable).

Nev
No I haven't tried a download of the datacard version as I was totally unaware it existed. I've only ever been to the ShonkyMaps website to download. Looks like I'd better try the datacard version, and see what happens. I'm all new to this stuff - sorry.

Thanks

Robert

P.S. I've now almost reached my monthly 1 GB download limit, so will have to wait until next week to re-download. Will post back.

countryslicker
3rd December 2008, 07:45 AM
I notice from the link supplied by Nev that “you can order ShonkyMaps, Contours Australia and Tracks4Australia on datacard, CD or DVD from the Forum's shop if you do not wish to download".

At the prices quoted, this is clearly a much better option for me than waiting a week or more to download on wireless broadband:

There are 2 versions available:

(1) Contours Australia 2.0 + ShonkyMaps 3.51 + Tracks4Australia 1.2 + POIs on DVD bundle $5.00

Or should I get:

(2) ShonkyMaps Topographic map of Australia on 1GB Datacard

Price: $15.00

Is either suitable to fix my Garmin problem? Are they PC or Mac versions, or cross platform? I already have a 2 GB card for my Garmin.

Thanks

Robert

(The shop is not open at the moment because of the time difference)

Nicko
3rd December 2008, 12:48 PM
When you buy the datacard you get the bundle DVD included

countryslicker
3rd December 2008, 12:52 PM
Thanks Nicko. I've ordered the DVD. Will post back here in due course. Thanks everyone for your feedback.

Robert

countryslicker
9th December 2008, 07:02 AM
So, I purchased the DVD from the Forum shop, and received it yesterday. But same problem as originally posted – could not see any extra maps on my Garmin, only City Navigator 9. Spent another frustrating day trying all sorts of solutions without success, then gave up last night.

About an hour ago, I decided to do a bit of lateral thinking. I focussed on my brand new 2GB SD card, which I have been using straight out of the box from the shop (it works with my Mac perfectly this way).

As a wild experiment and with nothing to lose, I decided to erase and re-format the card on my Mac as MS-DOS (Fat 32). I then re-copied the Garmin folder (containing the gmapsup.img folder from the DVD) back onto the newly re-formatted SD card.

Voila! After inserting the card into my Garmin and turning it on, things were suddenly different. Going to Map>Info I can now see and select “Shonky Topo”, “Tracks4Australia 1.20” and “Contours Australia V2.00” (as well as CN9).

The requirement to re-format an SD card as FAT 32 for use in my Garmin is neither mentioned in my Owner’s Manual, nor on the Read Me file on the DVD I purchased. I have never read about this requirement anywhere (but I’m all new to all this anyway). No-one mentioned this formatting requirement when answering my post (but that's not a criticism).

Anyway, all’s well that ends well. So Mac/Garmin users – be alert but not alarmed.

I'm very happy now :wave

Robert

Michael
9th December 2008, 07:56 AM
The requirement to re-format an SD card as FAT 32 for use in my Garmin is neither mentioned in my Owner’s Manual, nor on the Read Me file on the DVD I purchased. I have never read about this requirement anywhere (but I’m all new to all this anyway). No-one mentioned this formatting requirement when answering my post (but that's not a criticism).

I have a Garmin 60Cx which uses microSD cards, never had to format them, just used staight out of the packaging.
Do not recall any other mention in the forum before, so it seems to be a new issue.

Dooghan
9th December 2008, 12:42 PM
I have a Garmin 60Cx which uses microSD cards, never had to format them, just used staight out of the packaging.
Do not recall any other mention in the forum before, so it seems to be a new issue.Same here Michael. Maybe it wasn't formatted in the first place or you didn't format it with some weird Mac format did you countryslicker. I've never used a Mac so I have no idea.

mlenser
9th December 2008, 02:34 PM
Well done countryslicker, as the others have said we haven't come across this issue before but will be aware of it from now on.
I personally just had an 8gb SD card that suddenly stopped being recognized by either of my digital camera's or my PND .. but .. I was still able to access it via the PC. Lucky for me as I was able to download the last photos from it before sending it back on warranty (love those lifetime warranties).

countryslicker
9th December 2008, 02:41 PM
The 2 GB SD card I purchased (EMTEC BASF brand Made in Japan) worked straight out of the box on my Mac and in my Pentax digital camera without any formatting needed. Why I have to re-format the card in some weird PeeCee format to use it in a Garmin is a complete mystery to me and is not yet explained.

I really appreciate the feedback here to my post, but I thought this was a Mac for Garmin Forum. I'd better start being aware of who doesn't use Macs or doesn't know much about them (no offence intended).

You're about a 10 minute drive from me Mike (mlenser) - I bet you could have fixed the problem on the spot.

Weird Mac formats indeed :lol2

Robert