PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas with TT730 maps to TT710 ?

simbob
5th December 2008, 10:08 AM
Hi folks... wondering if anyone has any educated thoughts on what i am told can't be done... I already own a Tom Tom GO 710, and yesterday purchased a Tom Tom Go 730 thinking that i would be able to use the newer maps to update the 710 (and give that unit to my girlfriend.) Whenever i try transferring the new map across though, the old unit says "no maps installed." I rang TomTom and after 40 minutes on hold they told me it can't be done. I understand that they don't want people pirating maps etc, but i have purchased the two units so i don't see that i am doing anything wrong if i can get the one map to work on both units... any suggestions oh wise GPSers ?
Cheers in advance
Steve

Nicko
5th December 2008, 03:42 PM
I don't understand why you think you could update the old one with the new units maps?

simbob
5th December 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't understand why i would think i couldn't....
the new unit isn't a different brand or a different series... it's the "new verision" of the same model (ie Go710, 720 730)..
so i thought it was a reasonable assumption...

Nev
6th December 2008, 01:26 AM
Most (all?) GPS makers will protect their maps by linking them to an individual unit using some sort of serial/file/ID protection method. I would too! :D