PDA

View Full Version : New GPS Help Please

PeP
15th November 2005, 07:22 AM
Hi All,

I'm lookin around for a cheap yet functional first GPS unit. I'm after something that can be mounted on my dirtbike and if possible even in my car.

Features: Able to use like a nav system around town (if possible) as well as a GPS unit allowing me to store tracks and not get lost in the bush!

Would like to also connect it to my PC to update maps etc, after new or good second hand model that wont break the bank!

Thanks,

PeP

Craigus
15th November 2005, 07:44 AM
HI Pep,

Take a look at the guide we have put together HERE (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=780) :cool: Should be a good help to you.

PeP
15th November 2005, 07:52 AM
Thanks mate, the one that seems right for me at the moment is the Garmin eTrex, what thoughts do you have on this model?

Sorry bit of a novice :o

Craigus
15th November 2005, 07:59 AM
To be honest I still do not have a handhel GPSr :( Though there is plenty of people here with this unit, I'm sure someone will give you there thoughts on them soon enough I'm sure. :cool:

Jackaroo
15th November 2005, 08:17 AM
I have just purchased an eTrex Legend ( never had anything else so cant compare to others. :o
Can do everthing you request except for the navigating around town.
If I was going to purchase an eTrex ( yellow ), I would try and go for the Legend ( blue ) as a minimum. Has a built in Basemap, that once updated with Tracks4Australia maps, is quite good for seeing where you are
CAn be connected to the PC and tracks, waypoints and routes uploaded/downloaded with OziExplorer software :)