PDA

View Full Version : Aerial for Garmin 255w

Bob Segrave
11th December 2008, 11:24 AM
Hi
I am about to buy my first GPS hardware - a Garmin 255W. I shall be installing it in my motorhome. The vehicle is similar to many others in that it has a "beak" forming the sleeping compartment. Is there a useful antenna for this (or any similar)model in case the beak interferes with reception? The antennae I have seen seem to be designed for receiving vehicular traffic warnings.
Tks
Bob Segrave

jonesy
11th December 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't think this model has an option for an external antenna.

Nicko
11th December 2008, 11:58 AM
use the machine and see how you go, the 255 does not have external antenna facility because of the high performance antenna inside. If you think you need something I suggest a re-radiating antenna, type in RA-50 in the search bar in the shop.

Bob Segrave
11th December 2008, 12:07 PM
Thanks for your speedy and helpul reply. I have checked the RA-50 - can this be used without an antenna socket on the GPS model? It doesn't mention requirements in the advert.
Tks
Bob

mlenser
11th December 2008, 01:10 PM
Re-radiating antenna's can be used with any gps and do not plug into the gps but have a little transmitter that you put close to your gps and an antenna that you place outside the car.
The only issue I've had with them is that you need some distance between its antenna and transmitter and if you have a small car this could be an issue and probably impossible to use on a bike.

Nicko
11th December 2008, 01:34 PM
It is suppose to work up to 1 metre away from your GPS and is powered by the Cig plug. A socket with a housing can be purchased from DSE and wired into the camper. Best you include an inline fuse too.