PDA

View Full Version : laptop or carputer

suzy
20th November 2005, 09:35 PM
just looking on ebay for a cheap lappy as i don't want to run my current laptop as it's worth more than the car so i would like to leave it at home.
the setup i have is laptop running ozi with some usb gps thingy,any way it works.
what i was thinking was buying a $500 laptop of ebay and chucking it under the seat and running a mouse though the glove box and hook up a little 7'' lcd screen.the screen isn't a problem just wanted to know if it was worth it and how the laptop will do shut under the seat.
I want to put it under the seat because theres not much room to open the lappy while driving so if i can just have the 7'' screen running it will be sweet.
I would like to run it of 12v as well,i have a 300 watt inverta but it's a modified sine wave and i have been told not to run my power of that and besides that it sucks to much power after running the fridge and radios and stuff.
or just set up a carputer

cheers scott

Craigus
21st November 2005, 05:03 AM
I started out with a laptop under the seat but ended up going for the carputer simply because it was hard to turn the lappy on while driving (reaching under the ****** seat all the time) and It wasn't quite powerful enough for me (PIII 450)

With the carputer it's all 100% hidden, no one knows anything’s there except for the screen. If you have the know how with computers I would recommend going with the carputer.. :D

suzy
21st November 2005, 09:05 AM
I started out with a laptop under the seat but ended up going for the carputer simply because it was hard to turn the lappy on while driving (reaching under the ****** seat all the time) and It wasn't quite powerful enough for me (PIII 450)

With the carputer it's all 100% hidden, no one knows anything’s there except for the screen. If you have the know how with computers I would recommend going with the carputer.. :DI know what i need to run the laptop but i don't know what is needed to run the carputer.I have a screen and the software,what sort of hard ware is needed?where do you start..?

vincentvega
21st November 2005, 12:52 PM
you start at www.mp3car.com. Go to the community forums and read all the FAQ's

hours of light reading ;)

Mirek
2nd December 2005, 11:05 AM
Hi Suzy,
I have tried laptop, it was dificilt to turn it on, did not last for long ( hard drive).
I have NavNet" In vehicle PC - navigation and entertainment system" ( just launched) all in one. It is hidden, only Touch screen is visible. It is briliant system and I have navigation (City and Topo- moving maps) DVD,CD,Video, Mp3 , Flash card, Internet, Web browser, reverse cameara , Window XP,LAN with my home PC and more.
If you want to know more or buy one , have a look on
http://www.dmck.org/git
Highly recommended.

Mirek

vincentvega
2nd December 2005, 11:11 AM
a laptop is dead easy to turn on. Like i said do some reading on mp3car.com

and how exactly is your fancy navinet any better in the hard drive department?

from your site:

"IBM PC compatible platform that features a fast Intel CPU, a good amount of RAM and a large hard drive"

Mirek
2nd December 2005, 11:18 AM
**EDITED BY CRAIGUS! I'M SICK OF SEEING THIS SPAM ALL OVER THE BOARDS!**

festy
2nd December 2005, 11:42 AM
I have tried laptop, it was dificilt to turn it on, did not last for long ( hard drive).
I have ....
Highly recommended.
Mirek

Mirek,
Lay off the spam please. i wish you the best success with selling your product, but trying to give the impression that you're a customer and not the seller does not fill anyone with confidence.

Scott,
Re: modified sine wave inverters, lots of people will tell you not to run computers off MSW inverters, but they're actually about the safest thing to run from a MSW inverter besides maybe a light bulb. If you have any electronics knowledge, read up on how a switchmode PSU works, and you'll see why the waveform fed into one is meaningless. Also, most computer UPS units are MSW, and they're *designed* to run computers :)
re: the battery drain, an inverter will only draw the amount of power it's supplying ,plus an inefficiency factor of maybe 15% - that means that if you've got a 400w inverter with a 50 light bulb plugged in, the inverter will only be using ~58w, not 400.
Anyway, to answer your question - some laptops can be run directly off 12v, some require closer to 16v to run. I've run Toshibas, dells etc direct from the car's battery, but other laptops require a voltage step-up. Search the site for laptop power supply info, there's a few options for supplying 16v without an inverter around.

Mirek
2nd December 2005, 12:00 PM
Wrong Mate,
I Am User
Cheers
Mirek

toby25000
2nd December 2005, 12:15 PM
rubbish!

festy
2nd December 2005, 02:12 PM
Wrong Mate,
I Am User
Cheers
Mirek

Funny, the email address you signed up with on this forum is the same as GIT's 'contact us' address...

arthurking83
2nd December 2005, 03:46 PM
Mirek,
4 post - 3 posts about some rubbish nav system, and 1 to defend your actions , does not make you a user.

It adds up to spammer!
and possibly someone that "stretches the truth" a bit :D

If you have experience with this nav system, then tell us, but we don't need 5 links to the garbage you sell!

Have a nice day.

UncySpam
2nd December 2005, 04:54 PM
can the admins please ban this lamer from the userlist?

Craigus
2nd December 2005, 05:27 PM
Not just yet.. He has been warned! Next useles spam post will see him moved out the door! Every one gets ONE chance to redeem them selves.

Mirek
5th December 2005, 06:57 AM
Ask any question I would like to share my experience.

arthurking83
5th December 2005, 04:11 PM
So!

Showing off one or two images that appear on the website!! means your a user? :rolleyes:

Do you have any relationship with the company selling the Nav system or not??

......because from where we're sitting, this doesn't look good (for you).

:mad:

UncySpam
5th December 2005, 05:07 PM
you could start by telling us how much and where we can buy one from?