PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Geko Problem

Swampy
23rd November 2005, 05:09 AM
My Geko 201 has died. The back-up battery hangs under the circuit board cantilevered off a tiny amount of solder. What a crap design.
I am going to enter into discussions with GME Electrophone today.

Craigus
23rd November 2005, 05:15 AM
:eek: Crap! Hope things work out.. If not I'm sure someone here has a steady enough hand to re solder it on fo you. :rolleyes:

cmg
23rd November 2005, 05:37 AM
Swampy,
if you're in Brisbane I'll have a go at fixing it for you (I do repairs on electronic equiptment), we have all the stuff here at work. Plus we have guys more talented than me to help if required. You would just have to open the case, I wouldn't want that responsibility.
Just let me know.

EDIT: saw on DBW that you're in Newcastle, so probably not so handy :(

Swampy
23rd November 2005, 06:36 AM
I opened the case to find out what was wrong. The battery has floated around inside the case and shorted across the terminals. It is a 3.3V battery now delivering 0.8V.

bayvu
23rd November 2005, 07:35 PM
Into electronic repairs too, not too difficult to repair, about five minutes work with the case off. I just wonder if any other components have been damaged with the battery floating around?

You could try a local repair shop that's into radio communications or even track down the soldering instructor at the local TAFE. They may take it on as a project for their students to observe (that used to happen a lot when I was at TAFE! and it was free).

Or try a local HAM Radio operator, some of these guys are brilliant!

Swampy
24th November 2005, 09:31 AM
GME Electrophone have agreed to replace the battery. If that is the only problem then it will be free of charge. If any other damage has happened then it will cost me for an exchange unit. Either way I will use hot melt glue to brace the battery when the unit returns.

Nicko
25th November 2005, 01:57 PM
Let me know what the exchange price is and see what GPS Australia can do for you. Be aware, if any Garmin or Magellan is opened you practically have voided warranty.

Art
26th November 2005, 10:04 AM
I thought that the PCB battery would only serve to back up the clock.
Interesting if it causes the unit not to function at all.

Swampy
28th November 2005, 05:09 AM
The unit is already out of warranty. The unit functions depending which terminals the loose conductor (battery) is sitting against as it moves around in the case.

Nicko
29th November 2005, 03:16 PM
No problem, just get a price from GME and see what GPS Australia can do for you

Swampy
23rd December 2005, 05:56 PM
Closure on this and a thankyou to GME who repaired and modified (to my request) my GPS at no charge out of warranty and despite the fact that I had opened the unit myself.

arthurking83
23rd December 2005, 06:11 PM
Good to hear Swampy :D
It's all too often that you hear stories where it always ends in bad feeling towards the manufacturer/local distributor!

Now I'm no longer in my own business, but when I was I always valued customer loyalty over profits.
There may always be one particular annoying customer, and I stopped supplying these types of folks!
But for GME/Garmin to wear the cost(of ~$50) of an obvious fault in their product, must be peanuts compared to their annual profits??

This ending, brings me one step back........... from the Magellan Explorist XL ;)

cheers.