PDA

View Full Version : scanning maps

lufc00
9th December 2005, 08:24 AM
i have scaned a map but it is in six sections wat software can i use to attach them together, will oziexplorer do this

bluezooky
9th December 2005, 02:29 PM
Panavue is the best program providing all the sections overlap, unfortunately itís fairly expensive. The no cost alternative is to calibrate each individual scan and use ozi map merge from the oziexplorer site.
Regards Charlie

lufc00
9th December 2005, 02:49 PM
thanks bluezooky ,i googled panavue ,they have a web site ,and there is a trail version available for download i'll give that a go
cheers

The Explorer
17th December 2005, 09:15 AM
Hello - if you calibrate (in OziExplorer) each section you can then join them easily with the OziExplorer Mapmerge program (just select sections to join and all is done automatically)....may or may not be easier than using image stitching software - depends how hard it is to calibrate each section of the map I suppose.
Cheers
Greg

brisey
20th December 2005, 03:45 PM
Hello - if you calibrate (in OziExplorer) each section you can then join them easily with the OziExplorer Mapmerge program (just select sections to join and all is done automatically)....may or may not be easier than using image stitching software - depends how hard it is to calibrate each section of the map I suppose.
Cheers
Greg
I used to stitch the sections using graphics software & got reasonable results but unfortunatly not always dead accurate, recently I tried what the explorer said I am completely happy with the results. Mapmerge is real easy to use & the final map has the .map file automatically made for you.

The larger the map the more processor hungry though. I was making a very large map & it took 12 hours for my computer to finish it.

Cheers

Bri

daveg
23rd January 2006, 07:04 PM
Does anyone know if you can get big scans done through a printer or similar company? Something that could do A2 or larger would be nice and help to avoid so much rejoining! I tried a few places and they wanted too many $$ to do it.

arthurking83
23rd January 2006, 07:15 PM
..... I tried a few places and they wanted too many $$ to do it.

One option!

Befriend a budding young architect, or engineering student!

Buy her flowers, chocolates, roses, dinner.......etc...!

Then when the time seems right.......pop the big question!

"Can you scan some...............?" :D :D

I reckon tertiary institutions, local architect/drafting services.......may have access to large format scanners!..........

For a slab or two!!!

:)

The Explorer
24th January 2006, 05:37 PM
Does anyone know if you can get big scans done through a printer or similar company? Something that could do A2 or larger would be nice and help to avoid so much rejoining! I tried a few places and they wanted too many $$ to do it.

Where are you?
What is too may $$

Expo (ph 9388 8999) in West Perth do it - expect to pay ~$25 to $30 for a single map..price negotiable for larger numbers of maps - I just had 438 done :eek:

Cheers
Greg

bluezooky
24th January 2006, 06:58 PM
Columbus Navigation used to do them in Victoria, not sure about nowadays. Maybe not the the cheapest but I believe Robert scanned and processed all the Maptrax Topos so he knows what he's doing.
Regards Charlie

lazydays
7th October 2006, 07:22 PM
I don't find it too hard to do multiple A4 scans and then stitch em together.
I like using Canons Photo Stitch. You should be able to find somebody with a canon camera and borrow the CD.
The program also likes a generous overlap

hangover
10th October 2006, 07:25 PM
I don't find it too hard to do multiple A4 scans and then stitch em together.
I like using Canons Photo Stitch. You should be able to find somebody with a canon camera and borrow the CD.
The program also likes a generous overlap

I didnt know you could use it outside of the canon images, ****** good idea !

PetrB
23rd November 2006, 06:58 AM
There is software especially for stitch scanning maps.
The StitchMaps joins scanned or digitised maps together to build one overall map.
It joins fully automatic your Google Earth images to one complete map and calibrates too.

Web page: http://www.stitchmaps.com

Petr