PDA

View Full Version : Attention TomTom One owners.....

gpsa
13th January 2009, 10:36 PM
particularly those from Melbourne. Had to send my car in for a service to Lonsdale Street in Dandenong just a couple of weeks ago, and discovered to my great surprise that my TomTom One doesn't even recognise the street!!!! I'm not very familiar with Dandenong myself, but even I realised that this is a major street in Dandenong! How can I rectify this situation on my TomTom??

Is anyone else aware of other streets/roads not recognised by the TomTom?

Pocileh
13th January 2009, 11:18 PM
And does it find Lonsdale street under "Melbourne" or is that a different one?
My system lists one under "Melbourne" but not under "Dandenong"
Sometimes a street is listed under a different community than one would expect.

Michael
14th January 2009, 04:48 AM
Within Greater Melbourne metro area there are different Lonsdale Sts in:
Melbourne CBD
Bulleen
Caulfield
Coburng
Dandenong
Geelong
Mcrae
Point Lonsdale

Not to mention the Lonsdale avenues, cresents & lanes in:
Melbourne CBD
Cranbourne
Merinda Park
Rowville
Moorabbin

mlenser
14th January 2009, 08:37 AM
How can I rectify this situation on my TomTom??Have you updated to the latest maps?

gpsa
14th January 2009, 03:58 PM
Have you updated to the latest maps?

No, admittedly not, but my understanding from speaking with locals is that Lonsdale Street in Dandenong has existed for quite a while, which is interesting......

gpsa
14th January 2009, 04:00 PM
And does it find Lonsdale street under "Melbourne" or is that a different one?

Hi there,

Just out of interest, have you lived in Melbourne before? (I note your location in Holland).
Lonsdale Street in Melbourne is listed by the TomTom One, but not the one in Dandenong.

Pocileh
14th January 2009, 04:20 PM
Hi there,

Just out of interest, have you lived in Melbourne before? (I note your location in Holland).
Lonsdale Street in Melbourne is listed by the TomTom One, but not the one in Dandenong.

Yes, but only for about four weeks, about 12 years ago, so I cannot say that I'm familiar with Melbourne.
That's why I stated

I know this from my own experience in my area and noticed that Dandenong was at the south-east of Melbourne looking as if it is part of it.
I am interested in this kind of things because, as a preparation on our holiday trip to Ozi later this year (6 weeks travelling from Cairns to Melbourne to Adelaide) I bought the Australian map to use in my TT Rider.

gpsa
14th January 2009, 08:17 PM
Hi Pocileh,

May I suggest a GPS other than TomTom; not sure what the search function is like in continental Europe. From all accounts (based on internet research I've done), this most inconvenient limitation of my TomTom One (not being able to search by street name first) applies worldwide. I think a Garmin or Navman would have been a far more practical option....

Pocileh
15th January 2009, 01:09 AM
Hmmm, I'm used to TT. Have it on PDA as well as the Rider.
Very satisfied customer. Started to use it about four years ago, the Rider being more recent.
Think it's mainly a matter of what you are used to.
All these systems seem to have their own tricks and anomalies.
A friend has a navman and I wouldn't want to have that system.

Another thing is that many (european) sites provide additional info (speed cameras, campsites, fuel stations, hotspots just name it -other than the 'offical' POI's - and planned routes as well) in TT format so that info is easily accessable.
If I want to do a tour on my motorbike and have no idea where to go? Just go to one of the bikersites, download a tour, put it in the appropriate folder on my TT and off you go.
Don't have to convert from GPX to....whatever.
Maybe it's because TT is more to the point in this corner of the world and has more comprehensive data.
With the help of TT I planned cycletours for several years, on my motorbike guiding a group of clyclists through Western Europe, from Berlin, Straatsburg and Paris to the Netherlands and from the Netherlands to Grenoble, but also on round tours through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany and France.
Apart from the odd mapfault it never dissapointed me, even on trips to Russia and Kazakhstan (yes, up to the Kazakhstan border)
I then don't worry too much about being unable to find a certain spot once in a while.
I wouldn't like to be presented with an unendless list of streets having the same name in maybe villages, towns or suburbs.
Just punch in the place you go to, two, three, maybe four characters of the street and you're done.
But as said before, I guess it's primarely a matter of what you are used to.

gpsa
15th January 2009, 02:29 PM
Yes, very true. Streets and roads with the same name here in Melbourne seem to spring up in many different suburbs. In addition, there are many "sub-suburbs" in Melbourne and I find the TomTom is very very fastidious in this respect - type in the "wrong" suburb name, and the street doesn't come up. You can appreciate this happens even when a street happens to be on the border of 2 neighbouring suburbs......really impractical, I think.

turbojet
15th January 2009, 03:07 PM
I looked on google maps for longsdale st dandenong it comes up
Then i looked it up in NT 2009 in mapsource and it appears to call the street the pacific hyw all the way threw dandenong were on google maps there is a section called longsdale st

Michael
15th January 2009, 03:14 PM
I hope you meant to type 'Princes Hwy'??
Either that or your NT 2009 is really up s*** creek.

notso44
15th January 2009, 03:29 PM
My Nuvi 250 finds Lonsdale street in Dandy.

Also finds about 23 others in various locations.

turbojet
15th January 2009, 03:39 PM
Typing error should be Princes hyw

gpsa
15th January 2009, 07:56 PM
My Nuvi 250 finds Lonsdale street in Dandy.

Also finds about 23 others in various locations.

And therein lies the failure of the TomTom.....

Was just looking at the Garmin Nuvi 250 at JB Hi-Fi today - retailing for $192. I think it was about $399 when first released back in November 2007, or was it earlier than that?

My usual contact for all things electronic is regrettably away on holiday, so I'm holding off on the purchase for the moment (till he gets back to Melbourne).

It seems like a reasonable entry-level unit - how do you personally find it? Had a quick look at the next Garmin model up too (the 260), which as I understand it, says street names where the 250 doesn't. Otherwise, they're both the same, I'm led to believe.

Nicko
15th January 2009, 09:11 PM
The Nuvi 255 replaces the Nuvi 260, it is a better featured product than the Nuvi 260

gpsa
17th January 2009, 06:12 PM
Had a look at the Nuvi 255 today - it displays one's travelling speed on the map screen, while the 260 doesn't. Is this correct, or should that be the reverse?

Wahroonga Farm
17th January 2009, 07:03 PM
Garmin Nuvi 255 Specs (https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=13428#specsTab)

And the answer is Yes, .... limited by the map data which will be generally good in the city areas poorer in country regions :)

Speed limit indication is a feature I truly love and is one of my top 5 'must haves' in a street navigation GPS.

Perhaps my number One .... is display brightness. The Garmins have this in spades easily outclassing all the opposition.

Comes with two Australian text-to-speech voices (one male and one female) are included, and both pronounce most street names accurately and a bucket load of Pois ... some 600,000 (both in my top 5).

Interestingly it runs micro SD cards.

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/2377/featuresjz6.jpg

notso44
17th January 2009, 07:28 PM
I have the 250W which I find excellent,

No spoken street names but graphic display is great.

It's got all that you need. Ive had mine for nearly two years and it has been faultless. Just updated to 2009 maps.

gpsa
19th January 2009, 09:47 PM
Hmmm....screen brightness on my TomTom One leaves plenty to be desired, hence I've just purchased a sun visor to tackle those times when I'm actually driving in the direction of the sun.

That's a phenomenal number of POI's - not sure how many I have on my TomTom, but I doubt very much that it's anywhere near 600000....

I'm being swayed towards a new Garmin, I think (maybe the 255). Not sure how much I really need the travelling speed on the map display - my car speedometer seems to match up really well with the TomTom's indicated speed (just checked yesterday, actually). I'd imagine it could be an issue for those who doubt the accuracy of their speedometers.....

Nev
20th January 2009, 01:01 AM
I'm being swayed towards a new Garmin, I think (maybe the 255). Not sure how much I really need the travelling speed on the map displayEven my faithful and favourite car navigator (I also have a 760) nuvi 250W will display vehicle speed on the map page while not autorouting.

PS: You won't need your sun visor. :grinner

Wahroonga Farm
20th January 2009, 05:14 AM
PS: You won't need your sun visor. :grinnerA very compelling reason to buy a Garmin IMHO.

If you cannot see the display (and Australia happens to be a sunny place), then what's the use of it?

Tom Tom, Navman and Mio all use low NIT screens. Why?

You need at least 400-500 cd/m to see an lcd display in bright conditions.

A true sunlight readable display is normally considered to be an LCD with at least 1000 nits of screen brightness and a contrast ratio greater than 5 to 1. Although I think that figure is a bit excessive.

Have you ever seen a screen brightness spec for a GPS?

No?

Funny that.

Not even Garmin, and they should be shouting it from the rooftops.

PS Sorry I've a 'bee in my bonnet' when comes to GPS screen brightness and viewability :)