PDA

View Full Version : PDA Setup with GPS

kingkong
11th December 2005, 06:48 PM
Hi,

just wondering what my options are to have this kind of setup? What do I need to get once I've purchased the PDA? The HP iPaq HX4700 is slightly out of my budget, so I was looking at something slightly cheaper than that. The PDA would be used by the other half at work most of the time, but I thought if I was to get her one for Christmas, I could use it in the car for trips etc.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers
KK

bayvu
11th December 2005, 10:09 PM
You'll need a gps module, Compact Flash or whatever else works with the particular PDA you buy and OziExplorerCE for moving map.

I have a Dell Axim 5 & a Toshiba E800, both have CF card slots.

Bought my CF Card GPS on eBay for $127, works well!

kingkong
18th December 2005, 02:46 PM
Ok, so I decided not to muck around and got the HP hx4700 :D

Now I just need to get a GPS receiver (and software). I was planning on using Ozexplorer CE.

Does anyone have any suggestions on type/brand of reveiver? I was thinking a Compact Flash card, as I've heard the bluetooth ones are a bit temperamental.

Also, any suggestions on a mount/car adaptor? I have a hilux 4x4.

Cheers

selar
18th December 2005, 03:50 PM
I have a NAVMAN GPS Bluetooth receiver as well as a HP GPS Bluetooth receiver and both have been rock steady, I have used both with an XDAII and a Palm Tungsten T3.

kingkong
18th December 2005, 07:13 PM
Thanks Selar. How much do they cost (if you dont mine me asking)

Cheers

selar
19th December 2005, 03:24 AM
The HP one is a rebranded Globalsat BT-338. I saw it recently on www.ow.com.au for $145.

p-jay
19th December 2005, 11:09 PM
g'day kk,
i have an Ipaq 6365 ( see my post elsewhere in this forum regarding gps related problems) and a Haicom mouse style gps with a BT cube . i was put off the BT by the amount of negative posts i had read . But i was painted into a corner by the port problems with the 6365 and had to opt for the BT cube. i got it all up and running in minutes and have not had a problem since. my only complaint is that i need 12v to run the gps and BT so i am committed to the car. if i had my time again i would go for the 4700 and probably the independent battery powered BT receiver, at least i'd be free of the car that way.
good luck,
p-jay