PDA

View Full Version : Magellan Triton 300

Jakes5
15th January 2009, 09:02 AM
Hi I have just found this forum - maybe a day too late!

My daughter is very keen on Geocaching and so went and purchased a discounted Magellan Triton 300(with Australian maps & Roads) from a well known chain outdoor shop. Price was $265 which seemed to be worth a shot. Probably wouldn't have purchased at original RRP of $378.

I then plugged it in to the computer, installed VantagePoint and uploaded new firmware as suggested. Unfortunately now my Aus basemap is not able to be activated - although I can see the .mgi file in display maps. It will however use the NA basemap which does have a coastline depiction of Australia but not the same detail.

Also the displayed time and date seem to be 18 hours behind - which I can't seem to be able to fix.

Any ideas on rectifying these issues would be appreciated. The obvious suggestion would be to take it back since it was only purchased 24 hrs ago and I can clearly demonstrate that the basemap for Aus is there but not able to be activated.

Apart from these issues the unit looks OK and I have managed to do some uploading into the unit from Geocache site.Which is probably my main aim. The above errors are just frustrating.

I would comment that the unit has taken an inordinate amount of time to get up and running compared to most modern plug and play type devices.

Thanks in anticipation.

The Explorer
15th January 2009, 11:29 AM
Hello
It is strange that the unit comes with both the NA and Australian basemaps. If it was a legitimate Aus unit there would be no NA basemap installed. If you cant get the Aus basemap to work take it back. With some risk you may also like to try uninstalling the Aus basemap with Vantagepoint (delete from unit but make copy to hard drive)....and then try and view it with VantagePoint to see if it is a functioning basemap. If you can view it, reload it back to the GPS and remove the NA basemap and see what happens. Having both installed at once is unnecessary and leaves you with didley squat memory for other purposes (detailed maps and waypoints etc).

To change the time you have to go into Profile settings - and change the time zone to match the area you are in. There are several profiles ...so the timezone has to be change in each one (if you use that particular profile). There is also a daylight saving setting that must be turned on or off as appropriate.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
15th January 2009, 01:35 PM
"Some Australian" versions have both, depending upon what firmware version it has. If you send it back to Next Destination you must supply a copy of the invoice too.

The Explorer
15th January 2009, 01:51 PM
"Some Australian" versions have both, depending upon what firmware version it has. If you send it back to Next Destination you must supply a copy of the invoice too.

Strange - having the NA basemap supplied can be seen as a bonus I suppose and it is easily removed (and saved for later use) with VP but as the 300 has limited memory (10mb) and no SD card slot wasting 6.5mb on the NA basemap is a weird plan of attack.

Cheers
Greg

Nicko
15th January 2009, 02:13 PM
Yes, well..............

Jakes5
15th January 2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

I now have local time set correctly going through and changing all profiles as suggested - still don't seem to be able to access Tide times although no big drama.

Have had contact with Next Destination and they want me to send it to them to fix basemap problem - I will include receipt - didn't realise that. I wondered if the NA basemap was installed when I updated firmware.

Went back to shop I purchased from and they will get their rep for Magellan involved as I didn't think it fair that I would be posting GPS back to WA when I had purchased less than 24hrs prior in QLD.

I'll hold onto in the meantime as still works well as a GPS for what I need.

Even given all of the above I don't mind the unit - must be a masochist!

Jakes5
15th January 2009, 07:23 PM
Further to the above is it possible to to use one of the ShonkyMap detailed maps to upload say if I took the Aus basemap off(using Vantage Point as suggested). Aus basemap isn't working anyway?

Will my meagre 10mb be enough space to attempt this? I will be using the GPS for 90% of the time in QLD anyway and I do have the NA basemap which gives me a coastal Aus outline.

Nicko
15th January 2009, 09:13 PM
No you can't, the closest to ShonkyMaps is OliverK Maps but then you do have the Festy maps. look under Maps, Australia Wide, magellan and "free Magellan Maps" or just type that last bit in, in the search bar. I am currently collecting his maps to put them on a DVD for sale through the shop for $5 which is inclusive of postage and packaging within AU.

The Explorer
15th January 2009, 10:27 PM
No you can't, the closest to ShonkyMaps is OliverK Maps but then you do have the Festy maps. look under Maps, Australia Wide, magellan and "free Magellan Maps" or just type that last bit in, in the search bar. I am currently collecting his maps to put them on a DVD for sale through the shop for $5 which is inclusive of postage and packaging within AU.

....also keep in mind the size of any mapset you upload must be less than the amount of internal memory available (as 300s dont have sd card option). No idea what size the files are of the mapsets Nicko mentions but suspect most are larger that 10mb, though not sure.

Cheers
Greg

Jakes5
16th January 2009, 06:27 AM
Thanks again!

Still can't get Aus basemap to work after taking off GPS and re-uploading from VantagePoint but have got a more detailed QLD map from maps.festy.org which seems to works fine and fits OK.

I'd definitely be interested in the compilation of maps CD once available.