PDA

View Full Version : PDA GPS help

Viper
15th December 2005, 09:32 PM
Hello,

I am hoping someone out there can help with this question :rolleyes:

I have a PDA and am trying to find out which would be the best way to go with a GPS setup, either a GPS mouse or a NAVMAN GPS sleeve???

I will mainly use it in the car but on occassions use it on foot.So the Question is which do you think is better? :confused:

Craigus
16th December 2005, 05:22 AM
What model PDA do you have? CF GPSr's work great for both car and foot use.

Viper
16th December 2005, 11:58 PM
I knew there was something that i forgot :rolleyes:

its a HP 3715

selar
17th December 2005, 04:05 AM
Get a bluetooth gps if your PDA has bluetooth. Advantages are that they draw no power from the PDA, and also you can position the receiver where you get best signal, not where you want to mount the PDA.

UncySpam
17th December 2005, 01:44 PM
if the navman sleeve is competitively priced with a decent cf gps, then go that way, as they are a lot more hardy. Only problem is that they mena you wont be able to fit most normal accessories with the gps fitted (like mounts and stuff) cause the pda is too big...

The Explorer
17th December 2005, 03:11 PM
Get a bluetooth gps if your PDA has bluetooth. Advantages are that they draw no power from the PDA, and also you can position the receiver where you get best signal, not where you want to mount the PDA.

Hello - Can easily be argued that having a separate power supply required for Bluetooth GPS is a disadvantage. I have 2210 Ipaq with CF GPS – when used the in car it is connected to a single 12Volt power cord. If you had a Bluetooth GPS you would need to power it off batteries (so keep some handy) or another 12V power lead and plug. Mounting the PDA near the windscreen is not a problem so I see little advantage gained with Bluetooth GPS with repsect to reception – CF GPS I have came with an external magnetic aerial anyway (as do some Bluetooth GPS units) so if you have bad reception wack the external antenna on..so again no issue. Unfortunately the PDA in question (HP 3715) does not come with CF slot so all this chatter is irrelevant with respect to original question. Maybe an SD GPS would be OK though they appear fragile....also no room (memory) for maps (ie you really need at least one memory card slot for maps as PDA’s have limited space)….IMHO if you have a choice get a PDA with CF and SD card slots and your laughing…though screen on 2210 is very sad in bright light.
Cheers
Greg

selar
18th December 2005, 04:33 AM
The advantages I mentioned are more apparent once you leave your car, and carry your pda/gps combo around on foot or mt bike.

The Explorer
18th December 2005, 11:39 AM
The advantages I mentioned are more apparent once you leave your car, and carry your pda/gps combo around on foot or mt bike.

Fair enough - but I still can not see any advantage in having two pieces of equipment (PDA/Bluetooth GPS) when out of the car especilally when a combined unit (PDA with CF GPS) does the job perfectly.

You can argue that the GPS draws power from PDA and therefore battery life will be less but don’t think it is a significant difference. Having to recharge or carry additional batteries for Bluetooth GPS is a disadvantage and as mentioned before Bluetooth GPS units have a bad history of jamming PDA's if not turned off in right sequence. Friend of mine has given up on hers. I do believe however that some of these issues have been resolved with PDA firmware upgrades, but not sure.

I either carry my PDA/GPS in an aquapaq around my neck or in top pocket of backpack - very rarely have issue (because of location of gps aerial) with satellite reception so again having separate Bluetooth GPS would offer no significant advantage in this regard.

Just my opinion based on experience/research.

Cheers
Greg