PDA

View Full Version : Eee PC and Ozi

isuzumu
24th January 2009, 10:43 AM
Having a few problems getting my new Eee PC 901 to find the com port for my Magellan Mederian Gold GPS. When I have managed to get a com port I can not get NMEA Data to work.
I am running Ozi through an external hard drive as well, now I also have a IBM laptop which I can get to work also using the external hard drive.
Is there anyone using a Eee PC with Ozi and have you had this problem?
When you go into Systems Properties/Hardware/Device Manager it does not come up with Ports (Com & LPT) untill you plug in a usb say a GPS and then it comes up with USB- Serial Controller. I have tried reinstalling Driver but no good.
Hoping someone has a handle on this as it is very frustrating.

Cheers Bruce

Wahroonga Farm
24th January 2009, 05:50 PM
USB <-> Serial are notoriuously finicky.

What usb serial device do you have?

isuzumu
24th January 2009, 06:29 PM
Hi I am running Windows XP and puluging in my Magellan GPS, not sure if that is the info you are asking.

Cheers Bruce

Wahroonga Farm
25th January 2009, 04:38 AM
Sorry :sick3

I misread your post.

wombat70
25th January 2009, 06:42 PM
Hi I am running Windows XP and puluging in my Magellan GPS, not sure if that is the info you are asking.

Cheers Bruce

HI I have a EEE PC901 XP Home Oziexplorer i have a GPS Mouse no problems at all . It may not like your GPS .
GPS mouse available from online shop . Hope this helps :hatoff

isuzumu
27th January 2009, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the reply Wombat, have ordered a GPS Mouse hoping it will solve the problem. My main worry is I can not find com ports in device manager and now I've lost the USB Serial Controller to, mucking around to much hahaha

Cheers Bruce

Mr Router
10th February 2009, 07:18 PM
Try this to find the port :hatoff

Duncan51
28th March 2009, 06:38 PM
[QUOTE=isuzumu]Thanks for the reply Wombat, have ordered a GPS Mouse hoping it will solve the problem. My main worry is I can not find com ports in device manager and now I've lost the USB Serial Controller to, mucking around to much hahaha

Cheers Bruce[/QUO

Bruce I've had power problems with mine and solved it by getting the proper in car inverter from the US. Also got a GPS mouse which BTW is fantastic. The COM ports changed on me so I had to do a COM port check via the control panel in the E. Also the power plug isn't as tight as I'd like so I taped the plug in so that it won't shake loose. All in all the E works great with Ozi & XP.

Cheers

Dunc.

AusPak
29th March 2009, 02:31 AM
Having a few problems getting my new Eee PC 901 to find the com port for my Magellan Mederian Gold GPS. When I have managed to get a com port I can not get NMEA Data to work.
I am running Ozi through an external hard drive as well, now I also have a IBM laptop which I can get to work also using the external hard drive.
Is there anyone using a Eee PC with Ozi and have you had this problem? :hatoff
Cheers Bruce
I have been using my EeePc 901 for about a year now. Had a similar problem. All was solved by using the Franson GPSgate.
It will find the port that has NMEA data on it. You can then select the port and type of output you want. There are some free progs. that do the same but GPSgate has worked good for me.
Hope that helps ! :hatoff

Jardry
2nd April 2009, 05:38 AM
As per previous poster, I too use Franson GPSGate, a GlobalSat Bluetooth GPSr and a Bluetooth dongle (small fingernail sized one via Zazz) and everything runs great together.

Franson GPSGate also allows me to run Garmin nRoute and a GSAK macro that resorts the current database using the GPSr co-ordinates as the centrepoint when out geocaching.

Just need to "Alt-Tab" to switch between applications.

For in car use the eeePC is a lot easier to manage than a normal size laptop.

Hope this helps