PDA

View Full Version : Mio C520 upgrade - some feature missing

arnie
28th January 2009, 10:29 AM
Hi,
I have just upgraded my Mio C520 with the new 2008 map.
I followed the quick start guide step by step, which included updating the firmware first.
Everything went smoothly, but the interface has changed and I am now without some of the features, that were there prior to the upgrade.
The ones I really notice, and would like back are:
The current road speed limit does not show at all, and there is no alert when in a school zone, if I have not reduced my speed to 40kph.
Not sure if these features have been done away with or it is just my C520.
Also, Is it possible to return to the pre upgrade state? I have the original disc.
Thankyou.

Wahroonga Farm
28th January 2009, 11:25 AM
If the features have changed after the map only? upgrade, I'd suggest that you contact Mio /Mio Australia.

Was it just a map upgrade, or a whole of GPS upgrade to 'Mio 2008' (the Navman look-alike)?

If so Mio 2008 is rubbish (INHO) and you're far better off with Mio 3.3; although the maps will date as I guess there will be no further map releases for this most excellent GPS engine.

arnie
28th January 2009, 01:45 PM
Hi,
I'm not sure if it was a gps upgrade (sorry this is the first one owned and not very technically minded)
On the unit itself under "Mio - about" it says
Applications Package R1.0.07.1117
Rom Version: C520AUS.V1.9965.0044

The steps as per the quick start guide were:
1) Update Firmware (had to be done before installing and using new maps)
2) Install MioMore desktop (suite of tools) on pc
3) Reinstall map software on the Mio,
4) Install the maps
5) Install voice guidance files

The screen interface is different now - ( No split screen display) and navigating menu's also changed, and a lot of options no longer there, I can't see any option to add a new traffic camera or edit an existing one. All of the features that were the reason I bought this model do not appear to be there any more.

I have contacted Mio Australia-Tech support, but the person I spoke to was unable to help me, said she would have to call me back.
Is it possible to go back to the V3.3?
I thought only the maps were going to get updated.
Thanks for you comments.

The Explorer
28th January 2009, 03:15 PM
Hello - where is this update availble from? - cant find it. No sign of it on the mio website that I can see.

Cheers
Greg

arnie
28th January 2009, 05:16 PM
When I bought the Mio it came with a Free 2008 map upgrade (had to send in a redemption form ) They were due to send the upgrades out inOctober, but they only started sending them out last week.
Just did a google and found this info someone has posted elsewhere.

"as for the c520, the purchase/switch to navman GPS software and navman maps, indeed means the c*** models are quite doomed."

so now I know!

Is anyone is able to tell me if I can revert back to the 3.3 version by reinstalling from the original disk, I realise it wont have the 2008 maps, but for my use thats ok.
Thanks

fred4x4
28th January 2009, 07:36 PM
Hello arnie i have the 2008 update , if you read the back of the cd case it notes ( the upgrade will change features of the device and you cannot revert back to your earlier version. and just to ad as i have painfully found out you cannot run mio pocket unlock as it has done with mine shuts the unit down .

arnie
28th January 2009, 08:45 PM
Hi Fred4x4,
I got the magnifying glass out and found the note on the back cover!!
Is it intentional that they didn't make it more obvious, there is no mention on the quick start guide, it just says "you need to update your Mio before you can install and use the maps" and I saw no alerts when running the disc.
Thanks for pointing it out, I would have rather kept the earlier version for another year. To me this feels more like a downgrade, with some of the features I liked gone.

Wahroonga Farm
29th January 2009, 06:39 AM
That's really really bad news. Mio 3.3 split screen is probably the best GPS engines released.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51frcv6LHpL.jpg

Time to hammer Mio to get your 3.3 back. :(

You're now probably running Navteq not Sensis maps also.

http://www.navigadget.com/wp-content/postimages/2008/02/moov300.jpg

arnie
29th January 2009, 07:19 AM
This upgrade is still Sensis.
I am waiting on a call back from Mio, don't hold out much hope of the return to 3.3, but will try.
Wonder how many other people will not see the small print on the back of the cd case, go ahead and upgrade and then find they have lost a lot of the features, as well as the problem with Mio pocket, as unfortunately fred4x4 found out.

arnie
29th January 2009, 08:33 AM
Just phoned Mio again, they must be busy! very long wait times.
Told them I was not happy about losing the features and that there should have been a clearer warning that some of the current features would be lost and the changes were irreversible.
They told me to return the C520 and they will change it back to 3.3.
That suits me, even if the maps aren't the latest.

raz
29th January 2009, 08:37 AM
Hi, I to have done the same thing.. The original deal was an updated map to the 2008. I bought the unit because of the features and the split screen that did not appear on other GPS units as well.. I'm very disapointed with what they have done..

Wonder if there is anything that can be done to get the older version back..

raz
29th January 2009, 08:39 AM
Just phoned Mio again, they must be busy! very long wait times.
Told them I was not happy about losing the features and that there should have been a clearer warning that some of the current features would be lost and the changes were irreversible.
They told me to return the C520 and they will change it back to 3.3.
That suits me, even if the maps aren't the latest.

They should be giving us a new map as they stated on the deal as well..

arnie
29th January 2009, 09:11 AM
Hi Raz,
You could Phone Mio and let them know that they did not clearly warn of the loss of features,and that the changes would be irreversible.
I think there will be a few people caught out by this upgrade!

Wahroonga Farm
29th January 2009, 09:44 AM
Hello - where is this update availble from? - cant find it. No sign of it on the mio website that I can see.

Cheers
GregVisit the Mio e-store

http://aus.mio-store.com/Software%20&%20Maps/Mio%202008%20Mapping___315.htm

raz
29th January 2009, 09:56 AM
I presume that upgrade would be the same ones as to what we received from them..

Wahroonga Farm
29th January 2009, 10:32 AM
These are Navteq maps.

Nicko
29th January 2009, 10:37 AM
$199! Crickey, they need to wake up to market forces, Garmin and TomTom have updates at $99, although TomTom cheap update is only until end of Feb.

Am I correct that the unavailability of previous features is due to losing iGo?

arnie
29th January 2009, 10:43 AM
looks as though the 2008 maps from Mio-store are the Navteq, and the 2008 map upgrade (by redemption) that Mio has just sent out is Whereis.

Wahroonga Farm
29th January 2009, 11:55 AM
looks as though the 2008 maps from Mio-store are the Navteq, and the 2008 map upgrade (by redemption) that Mio has just sent out is Whereis.What is the Date/name of the Whereis map file?

arnie
29th January 2009, 09:10 PM
Just had a look at the upgrade disc, the file in the maps folder is AU99R083 21/4/2008 (would that be the name & date of the map?)
There is also a "Whereis" end user license.

Leomist
29th January 2009, 10:27 PM
Hi there fellow Aussies, i too am very agro about this painfull "Update" i have tried almost everything to downgrade but with no sucess the firmware is stuck. i dont exactlly want to be GPSless, they must flash the gps with the old system. why cant they just send that application to us?

I am seriouslly dissapointed !!!

To have lost the one feature that was the best feature that being the split screen i mean the whole thing just looks retarded now.

messed up this is no upgrade.

I will keep my eye on this topic because i would like my mio back the way it was without having to send it back.

Leo.

fred4x4
29th January 2009, 10:38 PM
Hello Leomist i am not 100% on this but i herd that you can buy a disk to reinstall the old version back into the mio device , maybe from mio no harm in calling them ?

arnie
29th January 2009, 11:00 PM
In answer to Wahroonga Farm
"What is the Date/name of the Whereis map file?"

On the back of the cd case
"New and improved MioMap 2008 powered by Whereis® R15

Wahroonga Farm
30th January 2009, 05:18 AM
In answer to Wahroonga Farm
"What is the Date/name of the Whereis map file?"

On the back of the cd case
"New and improved MioMap 2008 powered by Whereis® R15Ta, that is the latest Sensis map available.

Slopetydope
30th January 2009, 06:50 PM
I too am very upset about this "map upgrade". It's no longer the gps i bought as far as Im concerned. And if it had this interface and features before, I wouldnt have bought it.

They should at least give you the option to reinstall back the old version if theyre taking the some of the features out. Or put a dialogue on the software installer about the irreversible upgrade.

I'll keep an eye on this post.

Cheers

Leomist
31st January 2009, 08:16 AM
I got a reply from mio all they said was to contact the tech support :blah .

Here i was thinking i was contacting there support....

But no apparentlly they are too incompetent to help me via the email process. and eed me to waist time with them on the phone.
here is my email to them:

First of all, i would like to say that untill today i was happy with my mio c520 however with this recent "update" i have found my mio to be rather unsatisfactory. Limited, and without the main features as to why i bought this gps in the first place. No split screen, the new map system is a joke. I request that i be sent out a cd or a download to undo this horribe update to revert my mio back to it's original state. As i am not happy with it's present state at all. I use my GPS on a daily basis so if this request can be carried out as soon as possible i would once again become a happy and satisfied customer.

here is the reply.

Dear Leo, Thank you for contacting the Mio team. You will need to call Mio support on 1300 646 477 as this process requires us to isolate the problem and walk you through to a solution. This way, the technician will guide you through your problem step by step and hence resulting in a positive resolution. Kind regards,

Fantastic !!! :sick1

Let me point out a few mistakes in there reply " isolate the problem" gee i thought i was clear on what the problem was how about The friggin update.

I dont have time to **** about on the phone to someone im not going to be able to understand.

Or send my mio away, as i still have to use it.

So if i get time to call them i'll post here what the out come was, the how to fix it reply.

Anyone else who perhaps has the time to call them please do so and post your outcome and fix here.

Leo. :goodluck

Nicko
31st January 2009, 02:17 PM
The article below is from GPSPassion which clearly highlights the problems Mio have had over the years. They have purchased Navman and Magellan recreational but have floundered in their GUI (Graphic User Interface)

While Garmin, TomTom or Navigon enhance their navigation software wich each new release, Mio generally makes drastic changes...Keeping count, the upcoming "Spirit" software to be used on the Mio S series recently announced at the CES show in Las Vegas is the fifth version of MioMap since 2003 (Destinator in 2003, Navigon 4/5 in 2004/2005, iGO 2006/8 in 2006/2007, Navman in 2008) ! It's easy to confuse users with all these changes, especially since Mio generally does not offer an upgrade path, the iGo 2006 on the 26x+ being the exception.

Spirit picks up from the Navman software inherited from the acquisition in 2007 of Navman by Mitac, the parent-company of Mio and used "as is" on the Moov series in 2008. The slightly dated Navman map display is back, but the interface has been entirely redesigned with iPhone like "sliding menus"...as usual we'll reserve judgment until it has been tested on the road, in the meantime you can take a look at the slightly "off the wall" articles posted on miobuzz.tv a blog maintained by Mio. You can use the Mio announces GPS Series S...as in Spirit topic in the "GPS and Mobile News" forums to discuss.

lumpicam
31st January 2009, 05:09 PM
I have never come across a company so poor. The 'upgrade' is actually not as up to date as the oridinal maps loaded, as well as what has already been spoken of on here, the screen system is no where near as good as the old. Worst of all though, you try getting hold of them, and if your lucky enough to get someone, can they actually answer any questions?
In reply to Leomist i did get on the phone eventually and did explain quite clearly my issues and in Aussie language he basically said 'tuff s*#t', not as blunt of course but said that that is the current upgrade and software they are bound to. No revert disc has been produced, although I would say it is available but due to being another company they will not promote it.
I really liked the unit as it was, and was looking forward to upgrading the maps just for the sake of being up to date. I guess I wouldnt be so angry at them if the support was there, but they are seriously useless over the phone.
If anyone else gets more joy, please let us all know.

cp104
3rd February 2009, 09:24 AM
I just upgraded my C520 to the 2008 Maps. What a rigmarole!! Not the slightest bit impressed with the way it works now I gotta say. Absolute rubbish. Lost all my saved points which was a completely unexpected result of the upgrade (no warning before I started that they would be lost). As far as I am concerned the same engine should have been maintained so that the look and feel was the same. Should have just been a Map data upgrade. Had I known that it was going to have a completely different interface I would not have bothered. Loved the way it was.

I too will be sending it back to them to be changed back to the previous version.

Grrrrr

Leomist
4th February 2009, 07:28 AM
No joy it seems.

I send mio another email

Your reply is unsatisfactory i have allready contacted THIS tecnical support.

The "Problem" is the firmware update. and the miomap 2008.
I Don't want them on my mio c520.

The solution is to remove them, and to put the old miomaps v3.3 on there with the old firmware.

I do not have time to contact your phone technical support.

So please advise me step by step on the process i have asked for.

it has been 4 days with no reply.

This is getting serious, I had to use this usless new maping system my overall rating of it is "dodgy as hell."

it crashed twice lost all my POI's the interface is terrible to drive with during the night, and the buttons are bulky and take up to much space on the screen this is no update it's a peice of ****.

Seriously my mio is now a brick.

i doesnt even navigate properly it takes forever to recalculate.

being stuck with this update is NOT an option.

You can't even use mio pocket on there anymore.

so no more PDA just a brick that has gps functions.

:blah

Leo.

statesman
4th February 2009, 12:02 PM
I have updated my c520 to the latest firmware and maps with the DVD provide by them and am not happy because
1. The TTG (time to go) is blatantly wrong
2. The navigation progress on screen is jittery when moving along
3. Does not show what speed zone I am currently in
4. Cannot add POI/CAM (camera)
5. Cannot avoid Streets/Manoeuvre
6. No Split Screen
I have since found out on this forum that there was SMALL WRITTEN WARNING ON THE BACK SAYING YOU CANNOT REVERT BACK the new sotware.

So now I have emailed MIO and they replied straightaway saying "Thank you for contacting the Mio team. You will need to call Mio support on 1300 646 477 as this process requires us to isolate the problem and walk you through to a solution. This way, the technician will guide you through your problem step by step and hence resulting in a positive resolution."

So today I have called Mio THREE TIMES because their helpdesk is in the Phillipines and gave them my Serial No. + All 3 Product keys.
It seems like they are on a VOIP telephone and keep losing connection.
I have told them to call me back if the connection is lost again and am waiting............

Anyway all I was after was where to take my C520 so I could revert it back to original and they were going to tell me when the line went down THREE times.........
Looks like it has to be sent in somewhere in Sydney by registered post and I should get it back in 2 weeks AFTER I KNOW WHERE TO SEND IT !!!
I wish I could take it in or do it myself as I live in sydney.

Will keep you guys updated.

thcinaus
4th February 2009, 04:54 PM
Alas I to upgraded and was deeply depressed about the changes but I installed miopocket 2.0 ver39 which put a mini windows on the mio I now have an icon for mio maps and the new navman maps I found the information on http://www.gpspassion.com/ on how to unlock your mio install a windows os on the thing and then install the old mio maps its not that easy but then its not that hard if you really want your mio back. The other option is to return you unit to mio for a downgrade and they want your 2008 disc back

Leomist
5th February 2009, 12:29 PM
I have looked over this site, and i have followed the unusuall instructions but i can not seem to find clear instructions on how to unlock my mio, In fact it seems i have bricked my unit.

now i have nothing.

If someone is able to desipher that site and post some clear instructions here perhaps ?

My flash drive on my mio is now blank. i have the latest firmware. and i have the original mio cd but unfortunatlly it does not work.

Help ?

Leo.

Bob P
6th February 2009, 10:47 AM
Boy am I glad my son told me about this site. I have happily been using my Mio GPS 720t with split screen capability since last July. I have only had one problem with my GPS - during navigation it locks up with an error which causes the unit to shutdown and then it resets on its own. I thought I could fix this problem by installing the new 2008 map upgrade which I just received from Mio. From what I can read its sounds like I should steer away from this upgrade and persist with the annoying reset problem. I also have had unsatisfactory customer service from Mio to the point where I have given up.

Roadkill
6th February 2009, 03:17 PM
Leo,
Been playing with the unlock and upgrade on my C520 unit and although at times it all went pear shaped, I was able to always get the unit back to a starting point.
From what I read, you may only just need to go thought the process of reinstalling the 2008 software through the "MioMore Desktop 2008" on your PC. Then reload the maps and voice as per the Quick Start Guide.
Where are you located?

Roadie

Hookey
6th February 2009, 04:25 PM
Hi Mio ex fans.

My son has got my Mio C520 back to V3.3 following info from this site, however each time I remove the memory card and put it back in the unit, up comes Debug, string too long, can any help please.

Roadkill
6th February 2009, 05:09 PM
Hookey,
Seen that one before, didn't investigate it too much but it came down to deleting all files from the SD card and re-copying the Miopocket files back onto it. Haven't seen the error since.

Roadie

thcinaus
6th February 2009, 06:50 PM
This is the forum that tells you how to unlock and use both 2007 and 2008 maps on the one device send a message if you need help sorry I didnt put the full link in http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122494&whichpage=1 it sorted me out I now use mio pocket and run either of the maps as applications on a mini windows system

thcinaus
6th February 2009, 06:56 PM
I have updated my c520 to the latest firmware and maps with the DVD provide by them and am not happy because
1. The TTG (time to go) is blatantly wrong
2. The navigation progress on screen is jittery when moving along
3. Does not show what speed zone I am currently in
4. Cannot add POI/CAM (camera)
5. Cannot avoid Streets/Manoeuvre
6. No Split Screen
I have since found out on this forum that there was SMALL WRITTEN WARNING ON THE BACK SAYING YOU CANNOT REVERT BACK the new sotware.

So now I have emailed MIO and they replied straightaway saying "Thank you for contacting the Mio team. You will need to call Mio support on 1300 646 477 as this process requires us to isolate the problem and walk you through to a solution. This way, the technician will guide you through your problem step by step and hence resulting in a positive resolution."

So today I have called Mio THREE TIMES because their helpdesk is in the Phillipines and gave them my Serial No. + All 3 Product keys.
It seems like they are on a VOIP telephone and keep losing connection.
I have told them to call me back if the connection is lost again and am waiting............

Anyway all I was after was where to take my C520 so I could revert it back to original and they were going to tell me when the line went down THREE times.........
Looks like it has to be sent in somewhere in Sydney by registered post and I should get it back in 2 weeks AFTER I KNOW WHERE TO SEND IT !!!
I wish I could take it in or do it myself as I live in sydney.

Will keep you guys updated.
You will need a return number authorisation or RNA the address to send the device to is
ATT MIO
PO BOX 3118
Monash Park NSW 2111

I hope this helps

statesman
6th February 2009, 10:51 PM
Boy am I glad my son told me about this site. I have happily been using my Mio GPS 720t with split screen capability since last July. I have only had one problem with my GPS - during navigation it locks up with an error which causes the unit to shutdown and then it resets on its own. I thought I could fix this problem by installing the new 2008 map upgrade which I just received from Mio. From what I can read its sounds like I should steer away from this upgrade and persist with the annoying reset problem. I also have had unsatisfactory customer service from Mio to the point where I have given up.
hi bob p
i had the restarting error when i first got my mio about a year ago.
Frustrated with my phone calls to mio i just reinstalled the maps V3.3 using the disc that came with the unit.
never had a problem since (till i upgraded to 2008- but different prob !!), give it a shot cant go wrong.

statesman
6th February 2009, 10:56 PM
You will need a return number authorisation or RNA the address to send the device to is
ATT MIO
PO BOX 3118
Monash Park NSW 2111

I hope this helps

Thanks Guys but I never made it to the return autorisation number part cos their phones are crap and the reception / transmission (voip-me thinks) starts breaking up after a while- i have now called over 10 times and given up BUt............ i found a street address and it is also their Navman HQ, mebbe we should all turn up there.....
Mio Technology Australia (ABN 55 124 265 336) of Suite 2, 408 Victoria Road, Gladesville NSW 2111, Australia
which is same as
NAVMAN
Suite 2, 408 Victoria Road, Gladesville NSW 2111
PO Box 3090 Monash Park, NSW 2111
Australia
TEL: +61 2 9879 9000
FAX: +61 2 9879 9001

subbo_7
9th February 2009, 06:16 AM
Hi,

My c520 has frozen up now with a 'fatal application error' from the 2008 map update and since i cant connect it to my computer now, im guessing needs to be dealt with by Mio to have it working again... luckily still under warranty, so i dont have to pay for this upgrade MESS Mio has caused.

Statesman, i have the same problems with their phones as i think they using voip calls and it just cuts out. An alternative (i think) is the way im trying to get the RNA number is through their website under tech services, you just need to login and apply for it. However im still waiting for it to be confirmed, so who knows how long i'll be waiting.

Hope this helps you statesman and all others in the same boat. Im glad im not the only one having these frustrating customer service problems with MIO!

Bob P
10th February 2009, 07:06 AM
hi bob p
i had the restarting error when i first got my mio about a year ago.
Frustrated with my phone calls to mio i just reinstalled the maps V3.3 using the disc that came with the unit.
never had a problem since (till i upgraded to 2008- but different prob !!), give it a shot cant go wrong.

Hi Statesman,
Thanks for the advice. I found two main options on the disk-
1) Restore Mio map V3 software
2) Transmit Maps

I reinstalled option 1) and I'm still having the restart problem. When you fixed your similar problem did you also reinstall option 2).
Thanks again for your advice.

retired0903
10th February 2009, 02:45 PM
I have posted a ful step by step guide at
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=122943

There is a solution to the "String to long" error in the body of the solution.

Hope this helps everyone.

cp104
11th February 2009, 09:43 AM
Statesman, thanks for the earlier post with the phone numbers.

After persisting with calls to the Mio/Navman office in Sydney I finally got to speak with a product person but not before being transferred to the Manilla support queue on two occasions by the reception operator.

After some discussion I was able to negotiate with them to raise a Case for me to have my C520 unit sent back for reverting back to the previous version. The chap I spoke to understood that there are a lot of unhappy owners who thought, as I did, that the upgrade would be a simple MAP data upgrade.

Cheers
Chris

Goanna
13th February 2009, 09:58 AM
I, too have upgraded (downgraded!!!!!!!) myC520. What a mistake that was. I have lost most of the features I bought it for in the first place,

1. Can no longer enter GPS Co-ordinates.
2. No speed limit information.
3. No split screen
4. Cannot add traffic camera
5.Mapping has deleted country towns when looking for address.
6.Mapping has added roads where there could not be a road, (eg.in a cutting) or a farm drive way is designated as a road. Particularly on the Bruce Highway between Brisbane and Maryborough.

I spoke to Mio today (only a 15 minute wait) and demanded a refund as I have not got what I paid for, (no-one would expect to lose the main features and get poor mapping). They claim they will not give refunds but will revert back to previous state if I require it. I have called the ACCC as I believe we have all been conned but they can take no action until they have a few complaints. Where do we go from here.

Good luck to all

Ian

darylr
17th February 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi all,

You could try "A Current Affair" . They like to get their teeth into stuff like this.

regards :goodluck

Darylr

housemouse
18th February 2009, 07:25 AM
Hi,

I only "found" this Forum today.

I have a Mio C220, and have the same problem with the recent update currently under discussion. I have lost the ability to search via a latitude\longtiude reference. I can no longer add new Red Light Cameras. The screen display has changed and is now so cluttered with data ...it becomes difficult to "see" the road\route..........there are several other "new" features I don't particularly like.

After a considerable time I was able to speak to my new best friend "George" somewhere in the Philippines. I am not sure he understood my problem, I certainly had a significant problem understanding his accent.

In the end he told me to return the unit to Mio for them to reinstate\reload the same data base as existed when I purchased it last year. He gave me a unique RMA (Return) reference number.....and I posted the item registered mail to an address in Monash Park Sydney yesterday.

The address is PO BOX 3118, Monash Park, NSW, 2111. You will note this address differs from the one mentioned further up the Thread.

And the saga continues.....\\

arnie
23rd February 2009, 08:30 AM
Hi,
I have received my C520 back after returning it to Mio.
It is now back to it's original state, and has all the features that disapeared when I did the 2008 upgrade, so I am happy about that.

Does any one know if it is possible to upgrade the map only, without the firmware upgrade (downgrade!!)?

I don't have miopocket - not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Wahroonga Farm
23rd February 2009, 08:46 AM
Unfortunately Sensis R14 is the last Mio 3.3 map produced in Australia. Since Navngo and Mio are no longer partners, no new maps will be produced. :sick3

The only option to maintain the sort of features you are familiar with is to move to Navngo's iGO8 (http://navngo.com/pages/global/eng/news_and_press/r3_release_eng_20081211/) . Visit their website for details.

You'll need to install Miopocket or MioLite on your C520 to run other GPS software.

TS 50
10th March 2009, 01:05 PM
I am so ****** angry about my C520 and the map upgrade.
I have been screwed big time.
It doesn't charge up either in the car!!
I am going to tell everyone i know buying a MIO or Navman to stay clear of these brands. :sick1

Demon Mike
19th March 2009, 07:50 PM
Hi, I have just purchased the 2008n upgrade but it seems that may be I shouldn't have. What is your opinion? With the change in the features is it preferable to stick with the old split screen

Madmav
20th March 2009, 06:53 AM
Hi Arnie
I was lucky... when I bought my Mio C520 I was told by the bloke at the store not to upgrade to 2008 maps as they have less information and not as good as what is installed.

Fortunate here as this info was given because a customer had done so and bought it back not happy. The store did the background check and the answer is as above.... do not use the 2008 upgrade!!

Sorry to hear you have gone thru the dilemma

Dmilos
30th March 2009, 08:29 AM
Hi,
I have just upgraded my Mio C520 with the new 2008 map.
I followed the quick start guide step by step, which included updating the firmware first.
Everything went smoothly, but the interface has changed and I am now without some of the features, that were there prior to the upgrade.
The ones I really notice, and would like back are:
The current road speed limit does not show at all, and there is no alert when in a school zone, if I have not reduced my speed to 40kph.
Not sure if these features have been done away with or it is just my C520.
Also, Is it possible to return to the pre upgrade state? I have the original disc.
Thankyou. Yes Yuo can, sennd you mio 520 with DVD new map 2008 to Mio service end servis can reverse to original Version 3.3
I do that to my 520 now is ok

jrobertp
1st April 2009, 11:11 AM
I have just upgrade to the new maps and frustrated that they have remove the speed limits (although the box claims a 38% increase in address range coverage and speed limit information for more roads) and they have replaced the speed limit with a pathetic warning if you go above your own set limit. Most of the standard routing seems to work well and voices and pronunciation are more normal but the estimated time TTG and ETG are way out. eg a 10km journey in the city is estimated to take 8 minutes. A journey Whereis estimates to take 40 minutes it estimates to take 25 minutes. Has anyone had the same problem?