PDA

View Full Version : google earth

shane_vor
29th December 2005, 05:49 PM
This is probably a really simple question but here goes...

I went to google earth and thought it looked pretty good,
downloaded what I htought I had to but when I try to run it, it just initializes...indefinitely!

Have I done something wrong or am I just wasting my time anyway?

Oh yeah, my computer is in a box with a light and some drawers in the front. It's new so it 'should' have lots of cool stuff inside...?

arthurking83
29th December 2005, 06:16 PM
Google Earth is very simple!............

First, most important question is, do you have broadband?
It says you need a 768kbps connection!

I suppose the other question is, are you connected to the net?
Do you need to login like on BigPond?

I have Optus, so I'm not too sure how it works with a Bigpond connection?
Also look at any software firewall (like ZoneAlarm or even Windows Firewall) settings that may stop GE connecting too.

GE needs to download the satellite images from the internet for you to view them!

So be careful if you have a download limit too!

cheers.

shane_vor
30th December 2005, 01:19 PM
Ta. I knew it'd be simple....TURN OFF THE FIREWALL!!!! (I'm getting there...)

UncySpam
31st December 2005, 10:17 AM
eeek... never turn off your firewall! in the help file for GE it should give you the info you need to allow it to work through your firewall.

Without a firewall you are begging to get hurt....

Craigus
31st December 2005, 10:51 AM
Depends on what internet connection you have. If you have broadband chances are you're modem is a hardware firewall anyway. Software firewalls suck, Nortons, Zonealarm, Mcafee, what ever, they're all crap! They do nothing but cause problems and slow your machine! Get yourself a good antivirus and Install Microsofts Anti spyware.. Thats all the protection you'll ever need.

Patto77
31st December 2005, 02:30 PM
G'Day All,
I have used GE a bit lately and have not had any trouble with firewalls or anti virus.
A friend showed me a few good places on GE like Mt St Helens in the States etc the details is great, apparently there is a few places on the map that the detail is better than others like that place with lots of desert!!!! that the US love so much.
:confused:
Have a great new years!!!!

arthurking83
31st December 2005, 09:17 PM
.......... Get yourself a good antivirus and Install Microsofts Anti spyware.. Thats all the protection you'll ever need.

Best advice I've heard all year! :D

I did this about 3 years ago, have a good hardware router with firewall, and good AV!

The AV keeps all those virus/trojans in check ;)

Just keeps away from any "leet haxor" sites and your looking sweet!

(software) firewalls..........Ha! :rolleyes: