PDA

View Full Version : Which one???, Whats better

gedsar
3rd January 2006, 08:35 AM
Am looking at upgrading my etrex to a betterone that has maps on it. I will be using it mainly on my bike to do some exploring. Currently considering either explorist or meridian. Whats the difference between these models, which would suit my needs better? What one 200, 300, 400, gold, platinum, colour etc.
Thanks Paul

arthurking83
3rd January 2006, 08:52 AM
Quick reply,

You need a minimum 400-600 explorist for good mapping solutions, or a Meridian.

You will get a Garmin mapping GPS cheaper than you will get a Magellan, but I believe the extra ~$100 or so you spend, will get you a better mapping solution if you chose the Magellan.

I've heard that Garmin are about to(Jan10th??) announce the 'x' version of their models, which will include a removable media card (transflash/micro-SD).
If these provide the Garmin with the ability to upload 1Gig of detailed maps to the GPSr, they crap all over any Magellan GPSr!! :eek:
(exept for the exploristXL??)

I'm waiting for this before I commit to an explorist XL.

ps. the Magellan maps will cost between $200-400 for the, excellent, DAST maps too, so consider the total cost! May be cheaper to get a Traveller Pack??

cheers.

Pluto
3rd January 2006, 03:43 PM
It's generally a trade off between the superior functionality and ease of use that you get with Garmin units and the more detailed maps available for Magellan.

If you choose an Magellan Explorist unit, make sure it's a 400 or greater. Otherwise you will not have the interface capability that has become so important for data sharing, backup etc.

I've Recently purchased a Garmin GPSMAP276c which is probably not what could be called an entry level GPSr, but I chose Garmin because of the availability of the Tracks4Australia (http://www.gpsoz.com.au/tracks4australia/) maps which are free and constantly improving.

xrman
5th January 2006, 07:38 PM
Pluto,
How does Tracks for australia work?

Jackaroo
5th January 2006, 09:41 PM
Hi xrman

Have a look at this thread (http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/showthread.php?t=761) :D

cheers
Jackaroo