PDA

View Full Version : This is the kind of Geeky stuff I live for!

arthurking83
3rd January 2006, 10:47 AM
The Degree Confluence (http://www.confluence.org/index.php), website, and others like that, especially GPSAus, keep me up til the wee hours, 2AM (ish), and late for work every day :D

I've always wanted to know what was at 0,0 Lat/Lon !!
But it's just a Bouy!
Crikey!........ You'd think they would put some kind of prominent marker or something, saying.........

..... "YOU ARE HERE!! :D "

LOL!!

Pluto
3rd January 2006, 03:26 PM
It's a bit difficult to build a memorial in the middle of the Atlantic. They have it at Greenwich Observatory (http://www.nmm.ac.uk/server/show/conMediaFile.5374) instead.

sleekr
11th January 2006, 03:25 PM
Some friends of ours, and us, are planning on attempting one of the nearby confluences sometime soon - just have to get the right GPS software first! (Currently have TomTom Navigator, which is great for streets, but not for bushwalking!).

Our name in lights! (Well, at least a place in GPS history - the first to document that Confluence, anyway).

Jeff

Pluto
11th January 2006, 04:05 PM
...Our name in lights! (Well, at least a place in GPS history - the first to document that Confluence, anyway)...Last time I looked at the site, Australia was one of the regions with quite a few unvisited confluences (http://www.confluence.org/country.php?id=15). Sounds like a good goal to me. :)

arthurking83
11th January 2006, 04:06 PM
..........Our name in lights! (Well, at least a place in GPS history - the first to document that Confluence, anyway)..........Jeff

Oh! Go on!! Do tell..........which one? :D

I was thinking of a quick drive out to Lake Eyre, to do two!!
But then the logistics of attempting to walk(or swim :eek: ) 20-30klms to get to them........well....... more planning will be required to do them!

Pluto
11th January 2006, 04:32 PM
...I was thinking of a quick drive out to Lake Eyre, to do two!!...What are the odds, that it'll be full when you get there? :D

vernem
6th March 2006, 05:31 PM
This is cool.
A number of photos of the GPS's though don't show the magical zeros. One of the confluences is 50 km from me in Brisbane and no-one has 27.000S 152.000W. I might go for it!
Has anyone got a confluence near them?

Vernem

arthurking83
6th March 2006, 05:43 PM
Has anyone got a confluence near them?

Vernem

I think I'm kinda close to 38/145.....but it's been done.......and I can't swim :p
..... 37/145 (Puckapunyal Army Base) is easier for me to get to, even though it's further.

I'd like to do the two on Lake Eyre......but its a 10Klm hike out on the salt (20klm return) from the nearest point of land for the northern most confluence!
The southern confluence is not too far(even for me to walk), conditions allowing.

I'm not a good walker any more....and motorised vehicles are banned on the lake bed, so I was thinking it may be an interesting (push)bike ride!
But the lake bed isn't as flat as it looks in the pictures, there can be small ripply patterns , that can affect the handling of a badly setup bike!

Hmmmm............one day, hopefully soon! :D