PDA

View Full Version : Bush fires

deepseeker
10th February 2009, 08:22 PM
Seeing how bad the bush fires are at the moment on the TV and wanted to let you all know your in our thoughts and prayers.

It is hard for people from the UK to understand the full horror and extent of the disaster but I hope that you all pull through.

millsy
11th February 2009, 12:22 AM
Thank you ,your thoughts are much appreciated in this tough time for us victorians(and others)

Michael
11th February 2009, 04:38 AM
Thank you,
While I live in Melbourne, I know many people from Marysville as I spend most weekends there in winter.

The worst thing at the moment is not knowing.
Have heard from one friend who lives just out of Marysville that they & house are safe. Another got out in time & he & family are staying with his sister near me. But they lost everything!
A GP who often helped us out at the Ski Patrol is in the Alfred with bad burns.
Most others are scattered, & it is very hard trying to find out how they are.

The fire has destoyed most of Lake Mountain & I think we have lost our Ski Patrol base, skidoos, all first aid & rescue equipment, & 25 years of photos, memorabillia & records.

Pocileh
11th February 2009, 04:59 AM
Sad to hearing and seeing all this.
Whereis lost of photo's, property etc is a nightmare, as long as persons don't get harmed then I think you can feel lucky if I can believe the horror I see in the newsbroadcasts.
Seeing them images, you can hardly believe what you are seeing.

Hope the fires will get stopped soon....

Michael
11th February 2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks Pocileh
I am not sure what you have heard in your media, but the death toll is approaching 200.
Many hundreds have been injured.
I am still feeling numb about it & trying to find out who of my friends & acquantances from Marysville have survived.

countryslicker
11th February 2009, 08:39 AM
Your thoughts are much appreciated Pocileh.

I live in Churchill, where the deadly Gippsland fires (in eastern Vic) started on Saturday 7th February, then tore throughout this area and then down to the coast. At least 21 lives have been lost in the surrounding area as a result of this fire.

I am OK, and thankfully did not suffer personally. I feel for all those who have lost homes, friends, loved ones, and other property and possessions in the fires.

The TV and FM transmitter on nearby Mt.Tassie in the Strzelecki Ranges (facing my house and surrounding this town) was severely damaged, but will hopefully be repaired soon. My wireless broadband internet service is still disconnecting repeatedly so is somewhat unreliable, perhaps because of the smoke.

Here the roses may still be covered in the “black confetti” that rained from the sky, but already new ones seem to be blooming. And the wattle birds and pink and grey galahs are back!

Regards

Robert

Michael
11th February 2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Robert
Good to hear you are OK.
My wife's sister is in Rosedale & she has also had a lot of that “black confetti”.
Talked to a mate yesterday who is in the CFA, he just returned from 3 days working in your area & the things he told me were horrific.

4X4
11th February 2009, 12:23 PM
Coles Supermarkets Australia wide will donate this Friday's profits to the Victorian Bushfire Appeal, in partnership with Australian Red Cross. Check here for details http://www.coles.com.au/about/commun...BushFireAppeal

deepseeker
11th February 2009, 03:47 PM
Looks like Victoria is very badly hit and like a previous post said lets hope they get the fires under control very soon - saw your Prime Minister on TV say that some fires were arson, if this is true they should catch those responsible and string them up.

I know you Ozzie's are an hardy people, so will rebuild and go forward whatever life throws your way - that's one of the things I love about Australia.

countryslicker
11th February 2009, 05:22 PM
Thank you also deepseeker for your thoughts.

The fires here are something I never want to see or go through again.

If any of these fires are arson, I am positive the culprits will be caught - sooner or later.

Regards

Robert

millsy
11th February 2009, 07:37 PM
Without wanting to get on my soapbox, these tragedies tend to bring out the best in most,a whole country has rallied around victorians(not to mention thoughts and donations etc. from overseas)I hear that there have even been donations from folks up north who themselves have been devestated by floods.
out of all the pics that have come out of these areas i think this one sum up the enormity of the fires, this was from bunyip ste forest,about 15k from where i live, truly beautiful area and im sure will be once again.sincere condolances to all who have lost family and friends.

Michael
16th February 2009, 06:57 PM
I believe the above photo was taken by a member of Rosebud CFA.
He gave a very stirring talk to the students at my school assembly today.

For photos of the remains of Lake Mt see:
http://forums.ski.com.au/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=600664
Under one of those twisted piles of burnt building is all the Search & Rescue, evacuation, First Aid & Medical equipment plus photos, memorabillia, old skiis, water proof clothing etc etc that I have spent over 20 years helping to make, fund raise for, beg, borrow, etc etc.
The only glimmer of hope is that the Govt will rebuild the resort & start re-eqipping us. It better not include lots of filling in forms & submissions asking for twice what we want & ending up with half of what we need.

wiggy
16th February 2009, 10:00 PM
I was on board one of the CFA tankers at the Churchill Fire, hope I never have to see that again ! :sick3

countryslicker
17th February 2009, 05:40 AM
Thank you Wiggy from a grateful Churchill resident. I took photo about 150 metres from my house at 2 pm Saturday 7th Feb. Can't say I wasn't a bit alarmed.

Regards

Robert.