PDA

View Full Version : IPAQ Dash Mount

AndrewT
5th January 2006, 09:21 AM
Guys,

need to get my hands on a dash mount for the IPAQ.

From what ive read on here and elsewhere, ive only seen the ones that have the suction cup and the ones that stick in the vents.

My question is, do the suction cup ones work...i can just imagine when offroad it falls straight off?

Theres some on ebay for around $10 (Buy it now), plus about $10-$15 postage...would these do the job? Cant put a link to it cause ebay is blocked at work

harveym
9th January 2006, 06:42 AM
Andrew, I had my Garmin GPSV mounted with a RAM suction cup to the windscreen until some lowlife broke into my vehicle and stole it. The RAM suction mount works well and stays stuck on, even on seriously corrugated tracks, if you take some simple steps. First, the glass has to be clean - achieve this by using Windex or some similar solvent cleaner. Second, the suction seal has to be good - achieve this by putting the merest smear of Vaseline or lip balm around the edge of the suction cup.

arthurking83
9th January 2006, 02:32 PM
I use magellan suction windscreen mount, it's used everyday!

While I don't get out and about 4WDing too much(at the moment), I get to drive on some of Melbournes worst roads, and possibly the second worst road surface I have ever driven............. The Boulevarde in Ivanhoe!!
(the worst road surface, of any kind, I've seen was heading to Menindee Lakes about '98)

The mount has never looked like falling, but the shaking was making the screen unreadable, so I bluetac the base of the GPSr/mount to the top of the dash.

AndrewT
10th January 2006, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the replies. I ordered one of the ebat ones last night, $18 including postage, read all the guys feedback and many people were informing of what a quality product they were, so will see in a couple of days I guess.

Cheers

detn8s
17th January 2006, 07:31 PM
Hi Andrew,

I have a Magellan windscreen suction mount and it is a beauty. It stays on no matter what... I often leave it attached to the windscreen for months at a time.

I was "blessed" with an Ipaq for christmas. I've just ordered a cable to power up the Ipaq and connect to my meridian colour.

The next step is mounting the thing. I'd therefore be interested to hear your comments on your newly purchased mount.

Cheers
Stephen J.

Beast Of Bodmin
17th January 2006, 09:00 PM
Hi Andrew,

I have a Magellan windscreen suction mount and it is a beauty. It stays on no matter what... I often leave it attached to the windscreen for months at a time.

I was "blessed" with an Ipaq for christmas. I've just ordered a cable to power up the Ipaq and connect to my meridian colour.

The next step is mounting the thing. I'd therefore be interested to hear your comments on your newly purchased mount.

Cheers
Stephen J.

I too was graced at Xmas, i've just bought a Seidio suction mount from gpsoz plus a cable to transfer data and power both units. Where did you get your cable, as l had a pig of a job to find one?
Cheers
BoB

AndrewT
18th January 2006, 10:23 AM

Cheers
Stephen J.

Received it a couple of days ago, seems pretty good quality, only problem with it is that where the metal rod goes into the plastic mount that holds the suction cup, it is a bit loose, and even turning corners can cause it to spin in that mount. Might put some superglue in there and see if it at least partially bonds the metal to plastic, its only a cheapo ebay one so if i stuff it up its no big deal.

When mounted, its wobbles about a bit, even when travelling down the freeway, this could be rectified by doing what some of the others do and put some velcro to hold it down on the dash, but then there is no way that the charger lead could plug into the bottom of the IPAQ.

I think im gonna mount it so that it protrudes from the dash a little (so that I can get the power plug in), and put some sort of clamp (like the ones use to mount conduit to a wall) over the flexible pipe where it leaves the dash, therefore stopping it from wobbling and also providing some extra support.

I had my doubts about the effectiveness of the suction cup, but it even got stuck on the windscreen unintentionally ay one stage, was ****** hard to get off. When I stuck it on properly, I found that it moved around a little on the windscreen, but overnight must have chosen its spot and is now pretty solid.

Ill post up a pic when I get the whole clamp mechanism in place.

Maprapper
19th January 2006, 04:39 PM
Hi guys.
Love the forum. Have learnt so much. Its like being in a room full of people where someone will almost always have the answer to your problem.
Please don't take it from my user name that I am in anyway an expert in mapping!
My first post and I want to show you my home made pda bracket.
It looks as rough as guts because of extra (read incorrectly) drilled holes in it.
The white clips are from Woolies - about $1.50 for 8. They have double sided tape but I found it wanted to drift in the heat so they have been screwed to:
Perspex - probably $3.00 worth there. nothing touches or can touch the screen. Of course that means when slipping the pda into the holder too.
The universal type knuckle is common enough and can be had from your local radio/stereo fitter for next to nothing. They tend to have plenty on hand 'cause they don't use all that are supplied with stuff, so you might get them for free if you ask nicely. Won't cost you much anyway.
The dash bracket comes from the same source. I had it fitted on account of it being a company fourby but say $1.50?
All up the hardware would surely come in under a tenner.
Absolutely rock solid holder and has never looked like letting me down. I get onto and off some very dubious roads/goat tracks at work and its never looked like budging. In fact its more solid than the car phone which was professionally installed. Hope this isnt too long-winded. I will stop now.
Phil

Maprapper
19th January 2006, 04:40 PM
:mad:
Sorry, don't know how to get the picture onto my post. Can someone help there please.

arthurking83
19th January 2006, 04:59 PM
Hi maprapper,

to post a picture you need to upload the image file!
At the bottom of the reply page there is a "manage attachments button.

Use that to locate your image off your computer.

Make sure it's no more than 600x600 pixels, and you're right!
EDIT: you got it working...but the max pixel size is 640x640 :o

ps. you won't see the image if you use the "preview post" screen, but it will show when you "submit"

:)

Maprapper
19th January 2006, 07:41 PM
Thanks ArthurKing for the tip on getting the pic uploaded. Boy I need the old peepers tested; or the brain behind them!
Hope my post helps someone or gives them an idea.
Phil

AndrewT
20th January 2006, 08:57 AM
Certainly gives me some ideas.

Question - does it shake around a bit in the clips?

Maprapper
20th January 2006, 04:35 PM
No Andrew. As I said its rock solid. I was amazed myself at the stability of the thing. The plastic thingies have been trimmed to show a flat (but still tight ) profile to the pda. They are curved as bought but you just trim them.
I won't take credit for that part. You can buy a leather pouch for the new hp hx4700 pda and I was looking at one. I guess like everyone else I was wondering how could I secure a pda in or on the dashboard and not put holes all over the place at the same time. Your looking at an e800 Toshiba but the hx4700 I use for work fits in but is a bit loose (still ok though). The Toshiba e800 (bless 'em) use a normal power socket to externally power the thing. iPAQ's still use the fancy all-in plug: so I allowed for that when locating the white hook holders.

A good lot of questions on forums re all things pda, are about securing their precious pda's in the car and how much it will cost so I thought it might be a good idea to show what I had come up with for almost bugger-all money.
My e800 cost me a lot so I didn't want it to just drop on the deck sometime and ....it never has. Hope you are suitably motivated.
Phil

johnmrson
21st January 2006, 06:38 PM
I recently picked up an eFrontier powered and speakered cradle for my hx4700 Ipaq. I gave it a hell of a beating driving around Walhalla last weekend and it was great. Didn't miss a beat and more importantly, didn't fall off. Very hapy with it.

daveg
25th January 2006, 07:57 PM
Guys,
need to get my hands on a dash mount for the IPAQ. ...

I found these links to companies that seem to have some reasonable looking PDA mounts as well:
http://www.arkon.com/pdamount.php
http://www.ram-mount.com/products/pocketpcs.htm
http://www.bitdistribution.com.au/?stg=10&view=10