PDA

View Full Version : Magellan Triton 1500 issues

kalthasar
16th February 2009, 08:43 AM
I've just bought one of these from North America because I was able to get it for $600 cheaper than in Australia.

I need help though. For starters it doesn't connect to the GPS satellites. I'm fairly certain that a GPS should work anywhere in the world, even if it is a US basemap.

Next, I can't figure out how to connect it to the Vantage Point software. I've plugged in the USB cable and opened the program, but it just says "No GPS connected," and the GPS screen continues to display "waiting to connect."

The OS i'm using at the moment is the Windows 7 Beta, I'm wondering if that has something to do with the USB connectivity issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

The Explorer
16th February 2009, 04:05 PM
I've just bought one of these from North America because I was able to get it for $600 cheaper than in Australia.

I need help though. For starters it doesn't connect to the GPS satellites. I'm fairly certain that a GPS should work anywhere in the world, even if it is a US basemap.

Next, I can't figure out how to connect it to the Vantage Point software. I've plugged in the USB cable and opened the program, but it just says "No GPS connected," and the GPS screen continues to display "waiting to connect."

The OS i'm using at the moment is the Windows 7 Beta, I'm wondering if that has something to do with the USB connectivity issue.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Windows 7 Beta - whats that?

If you unit doesnt get a lock on sats it is broken. Sat Fix should happen within a matter of minutes.

The PC should recognise your GPS when connected and prompt you to install drivers that will allow VP to communicate with it - has it done this? Drivers are on the disc that came with the unit or you can download them from the triton forum.

Good luck

Cheers
Greg

kalthasar
17th February 2009, 07:01 PM
Windows 7 is the next OS being built by Microsoft right now. It's in the beta stage at the moment, which means I'm using a test version freely available to the public.

If plugging the GPS in is supposed to automatically install drivers, I wouldn't be surprised if this didn't happen simply because I am using Windows 7, mostly because there wouldn't be any Windows 7 drivers yet. Vista drivers usually work on it though.

I just thought that the GPS would appear as a generic USB device, and the Vantage Point software would have the protocols for interfacing with it. Didn't realise there were any drivers. I'll take a look now.

The Explorer
17th February 2009, 07:12 PM
Hello - in their wisdom Magellan havent made the Tritons connect/communicate as standard external memory storage devices (like explorists). When connected (with correct drivers) they can only be accessed by VP. It is possible to go into 'developer mode" which does provide some access to internal memory but not much use in your case as unit is not then recognised by VP and data file formats are not useable by any other program AFAIK.

Cheers
Greg

kalthasar
18th February 2009, 06:21 AM
Time to switch OS's then I suppose. Does VP work under Linux?

I still haven't been able to fix my lack of a satellite connection problem though. I've been told that because it was originally used in North America, it might take a while to get a fix, and after about 20 minutes it's supposed to start asking questions like "What hemisphere are you in?" to try and get some information to help it, but it doesn't seem to be doing this.

It is rather overcast here, could that be the problem?

Nicko
18th February 2009, 06:34 AM
The weather does not affect the GPS, not as much as say wet leaves or tin rooves. Personally I think you have a dud because it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes no matter where it came from. Send it back under warranty.

kalthasar
18th February 2009, 07:17 AM
Thanks, will do. This is actually the second dud GPS I've bought. The first was a Triton 200 I bought in a store, and the enter button only worked about every 5th time I pressed it. Since that model doesn't have a touch screen, it too seemed almost useless.

Michael
18th February 2009, 08:09 AM
Time to change to Garmin :hatoff :lol2