PDA

View Full Version : Keep the GPS connected to the charger

underground23
17th February 2009, 02:17 PM
Hi,
I have just bought a GPS. I was wondering if it is a good idea to plug the gps into the charger all the time. I mean instead of using it on battery and charging when the battery goes down i just keep it connected all the time.
Thanks

stevez
17th February 2009, 03:05 PM
I'll assume the unit has a Li-Ion battery, as per installed in most of those car navigation units.
It is fine to keep a Li-Ion battery (with the smart charging circuit that these things must have) on charge and connected at all times.

In fact, it's desirable.

Li-Ion batteries do not like to be deeply discharged.

Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd are a different story though.

stergiopilus
17th February 2009, 03:55 PM
It is true that Lithium Ion batteries don't like deep discharges, but the batteries degrade quicker if they are always fully charged.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/parttwo-34.htm

Lithium Ion batteries start to degrade as soon as they leave the factory, and higher temps and being always full speed up this process.

In saying that, I would just leave in on with external power if you are going to be using it a lot in your car. It's just easier. :)

underground23
19th February 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks alot guys. So i guess i should just keep it conected all the time. I wont be using the gps to often so it will be off and i think it will be loosing its charge gradually anyway.