PDA

View Full Version : Coming from the other side

Hugh
8th January 2006, 03:57 PM
As a side line I am interested in knowing about how you would set up a GPS transponder and then be able to monitor it remotely from a laptop. I have been watching Dakar.

Does anyone have a technical and "nuts & bolts" understanding?

arthurking83
8th January 2006, 08:13 PM
'Nut and bolts' understanding of how the system works, or how to set it up?

I have no idea! But........

My brief understanding of the systems are, you can get transponder systems for vehicle tracking, they will usually be(but not limited to) part of a communication system for couriers, freight trucks........etc.
I wouldn't want my work to set up my vehicle with one of these, just in case I need to MIA!!

There are other systems available that are smaller, and you need to have a service provider to track the unit, and you pay them $x/month....etc!

How to set up a standard off the shelf GPSr/mouse/BT unit to be remotely monitored, as a transponder.......
I've seen systems where you can feed data over a radio frequency (eg GPRS, UHF, VHF...etc), and this could be used to Tx/Rx the NMEA data from a handheld GPSr.
I was looking to set up a system like this into the trucks, of my brother's boss :confused:
I'm not too sure exactly how these systems work, only that you can set them up "kind of easily" .............so that's for the amatuer radio/electronics expert types to answer.

mitchofsutho
9th January 2006, 09:40 AM
Have a look at this site - GPS2SMS (http://www.geocities.com/gps2sms/).

Although it might not be exactly what you are after, it provides details on how to build devices which send and receive GPS data between a GPS and a PC using mobile phone technology. Depending on your application this setup may work for you.