PDA

View Full Version : Track Splitter

Nicko
20th February 2009, 07:44 PM
Some GPS models, such as most Garmin handheld units, allow you to record up to 10,000 points as the active track. But if you save an active track with more than 500 points, the unit will automatically simplify the track to a maximum of 500 points, dropping what it considers to be redundant or unnecessary points; you have no control over which points get dropped by the unit. One option is to simplify the track yourself with GPS Trackmakerís Tracklog Reducer, which also drops points but gives you some control over the degree of simplification. But if you absolutely have to preserve all the points, thereís another option; GPX Track Splitter lets you chop a track with more than 500 points into a set of smaller tracks that come in under this limit, but which preserve all the points.

http://www.geocities.com/gpxtracksplitter/

supplied by http://freegeographytools.com/

Wahroonga Farm
21st February 2009, 04:32 AM
I've never understood how to split a track in 'half' with Mapsource.

Perhaps you can't ..... and is this is the simple solution?

Nicko
21st February 2009, 08:00 AM
Do not know :)

mlenser
21st February 2009, 08:02 AM
I use Mapsourse to split / merge edit track files a lot. It has "Track Divide" and "Track Join" Tools. For example if I'm uploading a track to OSM but don't want to include my house location I just divide the track file a few streets away and delete that section. If I might have stopped for fuel/lunch etc I divide (split) the track file either side of the deviation and delete the small section then Join the 2 remaining segments together to create one clean track file. With my earlier gps loosing signal while walking the track file sometimes was in half a dozen segments. Using the Join tool you could create one track file from these. You can display the track edit tools on Mapsources Toolbar by right clicking on the Toolbar and selecting "Track Edit".

Wahroonga Farm
21st February 2009, 08:23 AM
Well there you go. :)

Tks mlenser, easy when u know how.

Funny I've fiddled around eliminating the track to my place a number of times now ... and it's that easy!

From the help file

Michael
21st February 2009, 08:52 AM
Just as simple in OziExplorer.