PDA

View Full Version : Uniden TRAX 353 Update problem

PetersWeb
28th February 2009, 12:06 PM
I've just purchased a Uniden TRAX 353. I attached the USB cable to my laptop and was presented with a screen which gave me the option of Updates. I thought, "why not"? Big mistake??

The unit was in "Update Mode" overnight (approx 7 hours) so I switched it off and disconnected the USB cable. When I switched the unit back on, I was presented with what looks like a Windows Explorer directory listing - mmmm....looks like the data was wiped with the partial update.

There is absolutely no information about this process in the User Manual or on the Uniden website. I've contacted my retailer but their service department doesn't work on weekends. Of course, I can't wait until Monday.....anyone got any ideas??

I'd appreciate some help!

johnno02
28th February 2009, 09:45 PM
Hi,
And. :welcome to GPS Australia.

I got caught with this Too.

You have to download "TRAX CENTRAL" from the Customer Support Section on the Uniden Website.
Make sure you download the "How To" PDF's as well.

Once you have Trax Central operating,you can then connect your Unit via the USB cable,and Update all your files,etc.

You MUST read the Operating Manuals.

So Far there are no Updates from Uniden,but this may help you get your Unit going.
Regards.
John

PetersWeb
1st March 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info johnno02 - I found Trax Central but it couldn't connect to my GPS. I read the manual and it stated that this could happen if the system files were missing or corrupt.

I had a look at the files using Windows Explorer and could only find 2 directories with 1 file in each - looks like the process wiped my GPS of files. :(

Any ideas how I can get hold of files? I tried to connect to the Uniden FTP site but it won't accept my e-mail address as the password.

I've sent an e-mail to Uniden support so hopefully I'll hear something tomorrow.

gslender
15th March 2009, 12:00 PM
Hi, I've got a Trax430 and experienced the same thing... can't believe just connecting the USB would wipe the device? There should be a warning label attached to the USB cable - or at least don't supply one if they never intend people to use it.

Anyways, what luck did you have? Was Uniden support helpful?

PetersWeb
15th March 2009, 09:14 PM
I meant to reply earlier - been busy...sorry!

I contacted Uniden support and sent back my GPS. They returned it within a week (from the time I put it in the mail) fully reloaded with the software.

Very happy with Uniden service! :)

johnno02
15th March 2009, 11:36 PM
I meant to reply earlier - been busy...sorry!

I contacted Uniden support and sent back my GPS. They returned it within a week (from the time I put it in the mail) fully reloaded with the software.

Very happy with Uniden service! :)

Thanks for the Update,
Nice to see they looked after you.

Did you manage to get any info on the Trax Updates,via their program.

Cheers.
John

aussiemick
20th March 2009, 09:08 AM
I also purchased a trax430 and after installing trax central followed the instructions to connect and update the unit and finished up with a non working unit. A phone call to uniden advised me to go back to the shop as it was under 30 days old and they would replace it. Bingo one new working unit. moral of this story is stay away from trax central until it is proved to be OK