Blog Comments

Hi CADManager,

I represent Magellan and I'm sorry to hear that you haven't received a response. May I ask what email address you submitted your query to?

If you send me a private message with your name and contact number, I will ask one of our Magellan team to contact you directly in relation to your question.

In the meantime, is there anything else I can help you with?

Kind Regards,
    Magellan Support
    For what it's worth, here's my personal experience with the new regime for Magellan products in Australia:

First, a little history...
    Almost a year ago now, I tried to purchase DAST for my recently acquired Magellan eXplorist XL, having found the shipped basemap inadequate to my needs. After receiving the Triton version from Next Destination (via a Sydney/East Coast GPS retailer), with the changeover from ND at that time I was unable to obtain the product in the correct format and my purchase price was refunded.

[As an aside, the shipped product bore no way of identifying whether the contents was Triton/eXplorist format without destroying the packaging in order to get at the SD card (label), so the retailer cannot possibly be blamed!]

And then...
    Having discovered on this forum that Mitac/NavMan (Sydney) are now supporting Magellan, I got in touch with them to see whether DAST could still be obtained. Being a weekend, I submitted my query through NavMan's website, and obtained an out-of-office autoreply assuring me I "will receive a response within 2 business days". Well, that was back on Sat 4th Feb, and guess what - still no response!

Apart from the lack of service (is it because the query is Magellan related?), the NavMan website announces:
    "Magellan has a long history of over 20 years in Australia, and up until recently has been distributed through a company called Next Destination. Late in 2008, Mitac International, the parent company to Navman acquired Magellan. This gives NAVMAN a leader in In-Car GPS Navigation for many years, now the opportunity to spread its wings and enter into the exciting Outdoor GPS category, by supporting the Magellan brand here in Australia."
    Apparently, that "opportunity" is nothing but marketing spiel (at least in this instance)! Or is $250-$300 worth of my business simply not worth the effort to them?

And so, over the last month, I've been compiling my own maps by way of MobileMapper Office software, and publicly available data (from OpenStreetMap and the Commonwealth Government). Those that I need are now almost complete, and when finished, will be shared on this forum.

Poor show, NavMan, very poor show indeed.

Paul.