Thread: Aldi GO CRUISE 4.3 inch GPS (March 09)

1. Aldi GO CRUISE 4.3 inch GPS (March 09)

Go Cruise 4.3" GPS Navigator $199

* Latest version of Sensis mapping
    * Speed and red light camera alerts
    * Spoken directions including street names
    * MP4 player
    * Includes ALDI store locations

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_7466.htm

This is only the 2nd Aldi GPS to have text to speech for street names. The first was back in the medion brand days of GPS. This is the first route66 software with spoken street names

Has anyone heard route66 doing street names. Does it do a reasonable job?

Is $200 for a 4.3inch route66 unit that does spoken street names a reasonable deal these days?

$200 for a 4.2 GPS with a good Aldi warranty/return .... is maybe worth a look. However in reality it's simply another cheap and cheerful Chinese import. R66 is not real GPS software IMHO. The last Tevion 3.5" was an unmitigated disaster.

Many things to look for if you wish to put it to good use:

• What is the OS?

• What is the processor an speed?

• Size of internal ram and buffer?

• Can it support > 2gb SD cards?

• Can it run other GPS software e.g. Ozi CE

• Is the screen clear and bright and most importantly antiglare?

• What is the battery life like?

• etc etc

As for the rest of the questions re R66 ... I'm not sure

I figure the last tevion was so bad, that's why they've changed the name to 'Go Cruise' , with tevion never to return as a GPS.

I think saying road names could be very benefical. The amount of times I've become confused when the GPS says something like "turn right at the 2nd street" , as i'm going past a street on the right, and not having any idea if that's the first street, or if I start counting after the street. If it just said the name of the street would make life so much easily.

But you're right. Route66 is such bad software.

Still if anyone did buy one or know of someone that's bought one is talking about it on another website can you post information /links please.

4. Angry Buying Tevion

DOn't do it!!! There is such poor back up and no srvice after 12 months. they are temprimental and for $199 it is better value to get tom tom or another rputible brand... Don't believe me look at teh troble others have had with their tevions...

5. Setup Go Cruise with Ozi

Anyone tried to set up a win CE6 (as on the go cruise) to boot to windows & allow running of oziexplorer? Appreciate any help.

6. Go Cruise

I have just purchased the Go Cruise from ALDI for my Bike And for $199 it was a steal, find another bike gps for under $800 and I will buy one street name are spoken and are able to be understood the only problem I had was the headset, I over come this by using my mp4 with fm reciever ,I also purchased a set of flat speaker for helmets off ebay now works great.The navigation around the screen will take a little getting use to at first. Routee 66 was easy as well

7. Better value now

Price is down to $149.

First impressions are good. Main gripe is the poor visibility on the screen.

Predictive address finding is a joy though.

Only POIs are ALDI stores, could have done better than that!

Quote Originally Posted by atropine
    Go Cruise 4.3" GPS Navigator $199

* Latest version of Sensis mapping
    * Speed and red light camera alerts
    * Spoken directions including street names
    * MP4 player
    * Includes ALDI store locations

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_7466.htm

This is only the 2nd Aldi GPS to have text to speech for street names. The first was back in the medion brand days of GPS. This is the first route66 software with spoken street names

Has anyone heard route66 doing street names. Does it do a reasonable job?

Is $200 for a 4.3inch route66 unit that does spoken street names a reasonable deal these days?

I bought the latest "Go Cruise GPS4300" from Aldi yesterday for $159.
    It appears to be running "NNG" nav software on a Windows CE platform.
    The software appears to be quite good on first try. ( spoke street names, speed alert, etc )
    Has both Aus and NZ Sensis maps ( Aug 09 versions )
    The GPS reception is brilliant, works inside my house about 2 metres away from the windows.
    The main downside is that screen brightness and viewing angle does not seem to be that great ( compared to my iPAQ running OzieExplorer)
    Has capacity for a 4GB mini SD card.
    The intent will be to enventually crack into the operating system and install Ozi on to it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ozwapet
    ....The intent will be to enventually crack into the operating system and install Ozi on to it as well.
    Which adds enormous value to these cheap units.
    John k - Garmin Oregon 300, GPSmap76 & GPS16 plus various WinCe PNDs with OziCe & IGO8