Garmin or Magellan??

Currently tossing up between Garmin and Magellan...

Does Garmin have mapping software as good as DAST topo? Magellan units seem to be cheaper but the software is dearer. I'm considering the Garmin units as I would like to use the GPS for air navigation as well as ground...

Any thoughts most welcome
    dirtbikeworld.net.au

If you are specifically talking handhelds...........

I reckon Magellan had alway had the upper hand when it came to mapping...both in terms of better mapping product and the SD card option to load maps!

Both mapping software have the option to edit the mapping info (via third party software!!) so updating maps to your requirements, or even making your own maps!! can be as simple as reading some instructions (doesn't mean it's easy to do!)

Garmin are about to introduce the 'x' version of some of their handhelds, so this will definitely give them a slight upper hand over Magellan, and combined with the ability to autoroute (magellan do to, but there is no software to do so!) make them the better option!

But I can't imagine a better 'looking' handheld than a explorist XL, combined with DAST topo.......

.....as for the car-dash mounted devices........... :
    ( I like my GPSr devices portable......!)
    King of the Who?
    King of the Britons!
    Who are the Britons?....

I really don't think it matters after all it's personal preference.

I Suggest that what ever you get you use and play with as so you will be able to use the equipment at anytime, this way you will get best VALUE for money out of the thing.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by J..
    Currently tossing up between Garmin and Magellan...

Does Garmin have mapping software as good as DAST topo? Magellan units seem to be cheaper but the software is dearer. I'm considering the Garmin units as I would like to use the GPS for air navigation as well as ground...

Any thoughts most welcome
    As for quality, both Garmen and Magellan make high quality products. The choice is sometimes personal preference, but at the moment, Magellan definately have the upperhand regarding onboard memory i.e. vertually unlimited via SD cards, and on board mapping eg, DAST Topo, Hema Great Desert Tracks and further upcoming joint Hema/Magellan ventures.

I suggest you search this site for info on "First GPS" as there has been excellent input by some of the site members regarding both brands.

You might want to start on the below listed posts;

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...=5790#post5790
    http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...=5378#post5378
    http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...0&page=2&pp=10

Happy searching and reading.

Thanks for the info guys.

Well I did about four hours research today and narrowed it down to either an eXplorist XL + DAST topo or a GPSMAP 60Cx + Garmin City Navigator.

Problem is there are good points and bad for each model...

- 60Cx will do auto routing but available mapping software is inferior (off the beaten track) to the eXplorist
    - DAST topo seems to be the best ground mapping package available but Magellan don't go into the aerial side of things
    - 60Cx is a bulkier item than the eXplorist and has an external antenna plus smaller screen
    - will have to learn how to add tracks and maps to City Navigator for out-back areas where as DAST is all there ready to use
    - 60Cx has better track logging ability
    - 60Cx costs more
    - eXplorist (from what I can gather) has a slower processor than the 60Cx. I was dissapointed with the speed my e600 had (before it went to heaven) and always thought it could run a little faster.

The for and against continues on and on I guess... can someone tell me just one point that puts one unit clear ahead of the other?

My ultimate choice would be an antennaless 60Cx with DAST topo. Anyone know which planet you can buy one of these on? :
    dirtbikeworld.net.au

I think you will find the 'external antenna' of the 60C(x) still makes the GPSr comparable in size to the Meridian, which makes it just a bit smaller than an explorist XL.

The explorist XL is the 'biggest' GPSr in the current modern handheld lineup, but the actual dimensions are the same as the Meridian (heightxwidthxdepth), but the Meridian tapers off at the top.

The GPS60 series is a wee bit smaller in body size, but the protruding antenna makes it the 'same size' as a Meridian!! : :

Hope that confused you as uch as it did to me!

If you find any info from a chap named Robert Lipe, he explains it very nicely when he says....

All GPS recievers suck, they just suck in different ways!
    King of the Who?
    King of the Britons!
    Who are the Britons?....

7. Quote Originally Posted by J..
    My ultimate choice would be an antennaless 60Cx with DAST topo. Anyone know which planet you can buy one of these on? :
    You and everyone else would like that to. There is the free Tracks 4 Australia maps for the Garmin gps. Its goal is to produce better maps for the outback areas. I've also produce a number of maps for my 60CS which is not really hard.

Dooghan

Quote Originally Posted by J..
    I would like to use the GPS for air navigation as well as ground...
    To my knowledge, that rules out Magellan. Have a look at the Garmin GPSMAP296. It is Jeppesen capable as well as having auto route functionality for urban driving.

The land based maps available are not yet up to the standard of detail set by Magellan, but they're improving continuously. If you want non metro mapping, have a look at the third party maps by Tracks4Australia. You can download it here.
    I'm not completely crazy... Bitsamisin :