1. OziExplorer & Mapsource not recognising GPS

G'day,
    I have a Garmin GPSMAP76CS and use OZI & Garmin nRoute with it. I havent had a problem in the past however now when I connect the unit to the laptop via USB neither of the above programs recognise that a GPS is connected.
    The GPS shows that a connection to the laptop is established but thats about it.

Any ideas??

2. Quote Originally Posted by Paul75
    G'day,
    I have a Garmin GPSMAP76CS and use OZI & Garmin nRoute with it. I havent had a problem in the past however now when I connect the unit to the laptop via USB neither of the above programs recognise that a GPS is connected.
    The GPS shows that a connection to the laptop is established but thats about it.

Any ideas??
    Have you tried to reinstall the driver? I had that problem once and it took me while to find out that is all it was.

Dooghan

3. Yeah tried that and still doesn't recognise that the GPS is connected.

Have you checked you COMS port. Check first at Device Manager to confirm which port the USB is using and then in OziE.

I use s Magellan Meridian with a serial port, which tends to used COMS port 1, but I recently had to install Ozi in a new laptop with no serial port fitted, so we used a serial/USB adapter and I had the problem with OziE not talking to the GPS. We found the USB adapter was using COMS5.

Hope this helps.

5. Thanks Mitch...fixed. I think it must have been the driver. I reintsalled but that didn't initially work. I had to delete the original one and then reinstall it and it seemed to do the trick.
    Cheers.

6. Quote Originally Posted by mitchofsutho
    Have you checked you COMS port. Check first at Device Manager to confirm which port the USB is using and then in OziE.

I use s Magellan Meridian with a serial port, which tends to used COMS port 1, but I recently had to install Ozi in a new laptop with no serial port fitted, so we used a serial/USB adapter and I had the problem with OziE not talking to the GPS. We found the USB adapter was using COMS5.

Hope this helps.
    As Paul75 was trying to connect by USB and not serial, a COM port will not be assigned. It just shows up in the Device Manager as another USB device. Well at least my 60CS does. But the 76CS should not only have a USB port but also a serial port on the back of the GPS. So it can be hooked up to a serial port if need be. I know with my 60CS the only time I use the serial port is to power it in the car.

Dooghan

Quote Originally Posted by Dooghan
    As Paul75 was trying to connect by USB and not serial, a COM port will not be assigned. It just shows up in the Device Manager as another USB device. Well at least my 60CS does. But the 76CS should not only have a USB port but also a serial port on the back of the GPS. So it can be hooked up to a serial port if need be. I know with my 60CS the only time I use the serial port is to power it in the car.

Dooghan
    Agree. The advice I was giving, (although on re-reading my post, not too clearly) was to ensure that OziE had the correct COM port assigned in configuration. Particularly as Paul had indicated that the GPSr recognised the Laptop, but OziE did not communicate with his GPSr. Communication issues between Ozi and a GPSr can be caused by a number of issues. But incorrect COM port is one of the most common causes.

I have no idea how nRoute works as I do not use it.

Glad Paul's problem is fixed.

8. Quote Originally Posted by mitchofsutho
    Agree. The advice I was giving, (although on re-reading my post, not too clearly) was to ensure that OziE had the correct COM port assigned in configuration. Particularly as Paul had indicated that the GPSr recognised the Laptop, but OziE did not communicate with his GPSr. Communication issues between Ozi and a GPSr can be caused by a number of issues. But incorrect COM port is one of the most common causes.

I have no idea how nRoute works as I do not use it.

Glad Paul's problem is fixed.
    You still don't use a com port in Ozi when using USB. You only have to select Garmin USB and PVT and that's it. No mucking around with COM ports. It could not be any easier. As an experiment I changed all of my COM port setting and it did make any difference. The problem the way I see it is that the GPSr could see the laptop but I bet the laptop could not see the GPSr. Also nRoute. Once the computer see that there is a Garmin USB GPSr plugged in and turn on then nRoute will automatically see it. For anyone else that might have this problem, first check the "Device Manger". If GPSr is not listed in there then it could be a driver problem.

Dooghan