Thread: gps coordinates

1. gps coordinates

hi all i was wondering if there is site on the net that lets you put in an address and gives you the gps co ordinates

Regards Chef

Quote Originally Posted by Chef
    hi all i was wondering if there is site on the net that lets you put in an address and gives you the gps co ordinates

Regards Chef
    These are not address searches, but place name searches returning GPS references.

For NSW towns and geographical features try The Geographical Names Board of NSW.

For Australia try Geoscience Australia.

3. Quote Originally Posted by mitchofsutho
    These are not address searches, but place name searches returning GPS references.

For NSW towns and geographical features try The Geographical Names Board of NSW.

For Australia try Geoscience Australia.
    thanks but i know where the town is just trying to find the street

http://www.street-directory.com.au/ - search for the street you're after, then when the map is displayed right click on it anv select Properties. The URL will look like genmap.cgi?x=???.???????&y=???.????????&sizex=400& sizey=400&level=6&star=5&circle=
    y is the latitude, x is the longitude, in decimal degrees.

There's probably better sites for this but this is the first one that comes to mind.
    to a person with imagination, a map is a window to adventure
    - Sir Francis Chichester

...and if I'd waited until after I'd had my first coffee of the day before posting, I'd have remembered that I was half way through writing a geocoding system... At the moment it only has NSW data and doesn't do much more than give a lat/lon for the street, but if you're game, have a look at http://www.gpsaustralia.net/staff/festy/findstreet.cgi
    One day I might finish it off and have it produce a waypoint and link to relevent maps or something else useful.
    to a person with imagination, a map is a window to adventure
    - Sir Francis Chichester

If you are using OziExplorer you can go to this site and down load the Name Search files for streets and facilities of each state. Once installed under the C:\...OziExplorer\Name Search folder, you can search for streets, which will be plotted on the relevant map image in OziE and you can retrieve the GPS reference from there.

You can also open the Name Search files using Excel to locate a street and coordinate.

Well done festy
    Why don't we learn from history :