Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Where to find and How to install OSM Garmin Maps

OSM - Open Street Map

Note: Red text are active links.

The Open Street Map project, OSM, provides a source of free, worldwide, non-copywright, editable maps. It is well supported by a number of sites, offering map downloads in Garmin format.

Read more about OSM at Wikipedia .

OSM maps can be viewed via osm.org ... or they can be downloaded as routable Garmin maps (similar to Garmin City Navigator); suitable for on street navigation with your Garmin handheld or turn by voice street navigation with your Garmin street navigation GPS.

OSM map quality and development is up to all of us. So if you can; please contribute, as every little bit helps.

These tutorials will hopefully guide you through several techniques for finding and loading these excellent maps to your computer and/or GPS.

A number of the procedures in this tutorial utilise Garmin's Mapsource. Similar techniques may work for Apple owners with Garmin's free Roadtrip and Basecamp software.

Read here for further information on Mapsource. Mapsource provides an easy method to load a number of different Garmin maps to your GPS e.g. a road map plus a transparent contour map, creates a true topographical map.

The Easy Peasy OSM - Mapsource/ Roadtrip installation

OSM World Routable is an easy solution to install OSM maps in Mapsource. It provides a number of OSM map files, including 'installers' for Mapsource (Windows) and Roadtrip (Mac) options for straightforward loading.

After selecting the region/country or individual tiles for download, an email will arrive advising you of the download location for your maps.

Note 1: The map tile selection is not optimum for Australia.

Note 2: This service generates four different configurations of your personal map:

• Installer for Garmin MapSource (Windows)
    • Installer for Garmin RoadTrip (Mac OSX)
    • A combined image for direct manual placement on the GPS device (gmapsupp.img)
    • A zip file just containing all the Garmin map tiles as selected on this website. This is useful for Linux users (e.g. Qlandkarte)

A page like something like this will appear.

Another 'ready to install' OSM site is OpenMTBmap. This site emphasises various map attributes to make bike and foot navigation easier. The routing choice is modified to utilise bike and walking paths, so beware if you use this version in a Nuvi. Some forum info here .

Don't wish to use Mapsource?

All of the OSM map download sites provide a Garmin GPS .img file as a minimum map.

Have a look here for a long list of download sites from the OSM wiki. There may be one that suits you.

An Oregon, Colorado or Dakota (with the latest software installed), supports multiple 'xyz.img' files (e.g. OSMNSW.img or 123456.img) in the Garmin folder. File these .img's in the 'Garmin' folder on your SD card, or (if there is sufficient space) in the 'Garmin' folder on your GPS. With different map .img names, you can install many maps for selection via the GPS 'map selection' screen.

Older handhelds such as the 60/76 series, Legend/Vista and the street nav Nuvi series will only accept a file named 'gmapsupp.img'. Store this in the Garmin folder in the GPS or on the (micro)SD card. Using the GPS/SD card technique, two different 'user installed' .img maps can be used.

Warning:

The GPS may not warn you that you are overwriting the same map file name, so be careful. You cannot and must not install maps to a genuine Garmin pre-installed map datacard; otherwise you will lose everything permanently and Garmin map not accept warranty return.

Installing OSM Australia maps in Mapsource

OSM Australia is an excellent site with a myriad of OSM map choices. It is updated DAILY! However it only provides 'GPS style' .img downloads.

Many thanks to Firefly2650 who identified this neat solution to install these maps to Mapsource. I have expanded the procedure below.

1. Download your selection of maps from OSM Australia. There are many versions to chose from. The routable OSM maps work pretty well.

You'll need the .IMG files (select the state of interest or download them all), plus the 'Overview & TDB' files for that map group.

The downloads are compressed in zip format. Unzip each download (free '7-Zip' is fine) into a new folder called 'OSM Australia'. Delete the downloaded zips files once you have extracted the ++++++++.img files. Move this folder to C:\Garmin.

It may look something like this.

2. Download MapSourceToolkit from http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/

Download MapsetToolkit only. MapsetToolkit will display a complete list of maps installed in Mapsource in the 'Mapset Installed' window.

Click the "Install" button and you will get a screen that allows you to select the directory where you have filed the OSM files.

Fill in the details and click "Install". The program simply writes the details into the Windows Registry. Once that is done, the OSM files will appear in Mapsource. You can use Mapsource view and also to load the maps to your GPS.

The advantage of using Mapsource, is that you can send OSM routable street maps with contours to your GPS using the Mapsource tile select feature for a topo style map. Here is a tutorial on how to send multiple maps to your GPS.

This is a nice and easy .img installation solution to create the Mapsource registry entries, and of course maintain the routable properties of the mapset.

Here are a couple of screen shots of the procedure for a single tile. Give it a useful registry name.

You may wish to edit the map name after successful registration.

3. The OSM Australia 'overview' and 'tdb' are common for multiple maps in a single OSM Australia map format; so you may install QLD and NSW .img's etc in the same folder. e.g an 'all Australia' routable map.

See below for the 'OSM Australia' tile layout viewed in Mapsource, should you wish to download a single state or perhaps a selection of states.

Note: NSW is not optimum, you'll need QLD to get the 'top bit' and VIC for the bottom bit.

John k - Garmin Oregon 300, GPSmap76 & GPS16 plus various WinCe PNDs with OziCe & IGO8

Kiwis do great OSM

Thanks John, very useful.

Open Source keeps getting better as more people contribute (and usually a few coordinate).

Anyone planning to visit NZ, or just interested to see how good open-source maps can be (through the effort of an active OSM community albeit in a land area slightly smaller than Oz) should take a look at the Kiwi sites for autorouting road maps:
    http://gwprojects.org/forum/index.php

Homepage for NZ Open GPS Project here

http://www.nzopengps.org/

and for road plus hiking (tramping in NZ) biking and increasing topographic detail:
    http://rcmaps.googlepages.com/nzogps...rtmtopo10mmaps

I used the road version last year on a 60Cx and nRoute for about 3000km over 3 wks, and it is 'better than professional'

OSM Australia - updating or changing maps

The OSM Australia maps are all created with the same FID and Map Code.

The technique above does not provide for the loading of different OSM Australia mapsets e.g routing and non-routing concurrently.

Use different folders and simply uninstall one mapset, before installing the next.

There may be a better solution, but this provides a simple work-around.

Edit - 3 May 2010:

The issue with the same Map ID for 'OSM Australia' Map downloads has been fixed by Matt.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...46&postcount=4
    John k - Garmin Oregon 300, GPSmap76 & GPS16 plus various WinCe PNDs with OziCe & IGO8

OSM Australian Maps-more than 1 state & OSM map errors

Thanks to Wahroonga Farm for the instructions on using MapsetTools to install OSM Australia maps. This worked well after I got around a problem with a couple of corrupted download files and understanding how installations for maps for more than 1 state worked.

I downloaded the OSM Australia zipped "Overview" file and the zipped img files for several states and installed the fairly small "Australia" img file (30810100.img) as instructed. I then tried installing the maps for individual states and failed (repeatedly). However, on opening Mapsource I realised that installing by the Australian "map family" as per the instructions the maps for individual states (that were in the same folder as the Australia *.img file) were also installed.

Now I have one simple (?) query. When I download updates for the individual Australian states can I merely overwrite the corresponding 3081010x.img (where x is 1-7, depending on the state) the installed folder for Mapsource OR do I need to go the full ininstall - reinstall with Mapset tools ervery time I want to update these maps.

On another issue I have had a couple of minor problems with OSM maps. Firstly, for the Queensland maps (7Feb10 update) the sea areas around Bribie Island are not the usual blue on my Garmin GPSMap76csx. I think this issue has been reported before and is due to the need to have "closed polgons" to define all water areas and this is missed at times for coastal areas. The second item is possibly more serious: with Qld and NT OSM maps installed (7Feb10 updates) in Mapsource I get a Mapsource crash whenever I try to zoom in below 1km AND the screen area includes the NT OSM area. The error message refers to the NT OSM installed map number with error type 1.
    Has anyone else encounted this error?

Regards,
    Minaska

blue.Secondly, Ii need to maps for se

Quote Originally Posted by Minaska
    ...Now I have one simple (?) query.

When I download updates for the individual Australian states can I merely overwrite the corresponding 3081010x.img (where x is 1-7, depending on the state) the installed folder for Mapsource OR do I need to go the full ininstall - reinstall with Mapset tools ervery time I want to update these maps.
    Yes.

That simple procedure of overwriting the map with the latest (same name) appears to work fine.

I'm not sure of the practical limitations to doing this ie will some future map change stuff it up?

Anyone with a better understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Minaska
    On another issue I have had a couple of minor problems with OSM maps.

1. Firstly, for the Queensland maps (7 Feb10 update) the sea areas around Bribie Island are not the usual blue on my Garmin GPSMap76csx. I think this issue has been reported before and is due to the need to have "closed polgons" to define all water areas and this is missed at times for coastal areas.

2. The second item is possibly more serious: with Qld and NT OSM maps installed (7 Feb10 updates) in Mapsource I get a Mapsource crash whenever I try to zoom in below 1km AND the screen area includes the NT OSM area.

The error message refers to the NT OSM installed map number with error type 1.

Has anyone else encountered this error?

Regards,
    Minaska
    1. Yes there is a thread on 'blue '.

I suspect as the map rendering tools improve this will resolve itself.

2. OK 4 me. There is a small map overlap the dark pink. See screen capture.

Note: Zip is the gpx waypoint 001, (S17 43.171 E141 01.209), near Normanton.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Attached Files Attached Files

Hi guys - may not be related but may be too ...
    Minaska - are you running Windows 7? WF are you?
    I've had a few problems (increasingly worse it appears to me but maybe I'm sensitive) with Mapsource but it may be actually a Windows 7 issue.
    I've had difficulties with Mapsource crashing and I have 6.15.7 not the latest versions. Brian of OzTopo fame suggests that Windows 7 could be the issue and that Garmin is aware of it.
    Detectist

Good ol' XP here, running latest 6.15.11 (no OzTopo).

8. I'm running Win7 pro 32 and home 32, Mapsource 6.15.11 (no OzTopo). All working well here.

Latest version of MapSetToolKit.

V1.75 (2010/01/27)

http://cypherman1.googlepages.com/

- NEW: Backup and import a mapset
    - NEW: Add lock and routing information in installed mapset list.
    - FIX: Create FamiliesNT mapset.
    - FIX: Errors in install mapset

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Detectist
    Hi guys - may not be related but may be too ...
    Minaska - are you running Windows 7? WF are you?
    I've had a few problems (increasingly worse it appears to me but maybe I'm sensitive) with Mapsource but it may be actually a Windows 7 issue.
    I've had difficulties with Mapsource crashing and I have 6.15.7 not the latest versions. Brian of OzTopo fame suggests that Windows 7 could be the issue and that Garmin is aware of it.
    Detectist
    Yes, I am running Mapsource version 6.15.7 with Windows 7 on my new computer. I just tried changing Mapsource program properties in Windows 7 so it runs in Windows XP (service pack 3) compatability mode and so far I can NOT get it to crash with the OSM Qld + NT maps. So, Windows 7 is at least part of the problem. If I get time I'll fire up my old computer with Windows XP and see what happens under a real XP operating system. I should also see if updating Mapsource fixes the problem.

Thanks for feedback Detectist & Wahroonga Farm.

Regards,
    Minaska

11. Ok, so I tried to follow WF's how to. I must be missing something. using the latest mapsettoolkit, I get the osm mapping into the mapsource registry (apparently as shown on MStoolkit), but I have no drop down map for these in mapsource. What have I missed in John's comprehensive instructions?

Thanks,

Shane.
    , I'm gunna need it!

My Blog: http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

Hi Shane,

Have you loaded / used other maps in Mapsource?

13. Quote Originally Posted by Wahroonga Farm
    Hi Shane,

Have you loaded / used other maps in Mapsource?
    Yep, Bluechart, CN, Shonky's, CA

I'm a bit miffed. Might get a chance to play on the weekend.

Shane.
    , I'm gunna need it!

Not sure?

How mine looks in Edit with v1.75.

15. and mine shows...So whats the difference I wonder?

Shane.
    , I'm gunna need it!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast