Thread: HEMA NAV battery specs query

HEMA NAV battery specs query

Folks, looking at spec info on the shop and other sites, can't find reference to what the battery type is in the HN5.

I was told they are "sealed unit" and that they are not accessible to the user. Is this so?

I am also told the battery run time is 4-5 hours, but can't find it in writing.

I guess I like the idea of things that run on AAA or AA and so replacment on th run is cheap and easy.

Thanks
    TC

Hi

Specifications state up to 5 hours battery life

http://www.hemanavigator.com.au/Prod...4/Default.aspx

My unit has a sticker on the back stating if I open the unit warrant is void. Suppose after this period it doesnt matter. Not sure how to open the unit - I dont have it here at moment to look at. Doubt it would be impossible to get apart.

If you really need extra battery life (I assume away from the car) then a USB battery extender (try ebay) may be an option - these take AA's. Not sure if they work with HN5 though. My HN5 car power cord doesnt work with my TwoNav and theyre both USB 5V????

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC

Thanks Greg.
    we were about to get a Garmin 78s when someone recommended the HN5. Problem is I like the ability to use the 78 remotely and like the bulletproofness (to a point, I know) of the screen and button interface.
    AA batteries are cheap and easy to replace on the go, whereas sealed batteries are possibly a worry down the track.
    There are pros and cons in every unit, unfortunately!

TC

Hi
    HN5 and 78s are completly different beasts - interesting recommedation. I have HN5 but wouldn't bother taking it for a walk. If you really need dual use unit with raster image viewing capabilities TwoNav Aventura is my recommendation. Battery life is 20 hours plus...but depends on your other needs as well - budget (TwoNav is twice the price of 78s..like the HN5), available maps, true water proofness (TwoNav is only "rainproof" and doesnt float) etc etc.

Cheers
    Greg

PS..the TwoNav has rechargable batteries but havent had an issue after nearly 1 year - still going strong...plus you can get AA replacement battery pack/adapter.

Cheers
    Greg

Blog Entries
    The TwoNav Aventura and Sportiva are more than Rain Proof. Some where between rain proof and waterproof (IPX6), but then again I have seen waterproof GPS (no naming names as I sell heaps of them) fail in similar IPX6 conditions.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko
    The TwoNav Aventura and Sportiva are more than Rain Proof. Some where between rain proof and waterproof (IPX6), but then again I have seen waterproof GPS (no naming names as I sell heaps of them) fail in similar IPX6 conditions.
    The guys who make the Aventura say its "rainproof" - was just quoting them...Suppose it depends what the definition of rainproof is - put it this way - dont drop it in a pool of water with any of the rubber caps not shut...and then get it out quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    If you see what they have done in respect of testing in water, including the fact that Action 4X4 dropped it into a pool of water and it survived says to me IPX6 at least.

I know, they just don't want to make claims unless they go through the whole testing for IP rating. Not sure why but the device is certainly more than rainproof.

If you leave the USB boot (cover) off on a Garmin or Magellan you will have the same problem.

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...4&page=5&pp=40

Anyway, I am

Back on Topic though, the TwoNav 5 will have a replaceable battery.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net