1. Loading Oziexplorer CE via Activesync????

Hello all. This is my first thread and as you can see I am completely inexperienced when it comes to GPS.

The approach I have taken is buy one of those ebay 7 inch GPS units and to then load Oziexplorer CE onto it but reading the instructions on the Ozi site, they say that the unit must be connected to the PC when downloading the CE software and the maps.

Now this is where the problem starts. I have tried to Activesync the GPS to my PC (running XP) but the PC does not recognise the GPS unit.

I have downloaded the latest Activesync software (V4.5) but apparently it doesn't work with Wince 5.

So has anyone else had this problem and hopefully how did you solve it?? Hate to thing that I have just bought a GPS and can't load up Oziexplorer CE.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Lou.

Hi Lou - welcome to the site.

Basically you put the unzipped wince_core_runtime_arm file into the memory card that came with the GPS unit - keep the folder structure the same as what was unzipped.

Here is an extract of the installation note from Ozi. While it refers to Activesync that is only if the PC recognises the PND - yours doesn't so copying to the memory card should work.

" Installation Steps

3. Copy the folders to the PND using a memory card in a card reader or by using Windows Explorer if the PND is connected to the PC using Activesync/Mobile Device Centre.

Running OziExplorerCE

Most Chinese Navigators have the ability in their setup to specify which program is run when the GPS Software option is clicked."

This last part means you have to have the PND know how to find the OziCE exe file. There are other posts on this site that may help too.

Good luck.

Hi
    Further to Detectist's post ...some possibly useful (older) info here

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...=OziCE+runtime

and here

http://www.gpsaustralia.net/forums/s...=OziCE+runtime

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

4. Thanks for the replies. Good to hear that I can load Oziexplorer diredtly onto the SD card, by by-passing Active sync. So today I bought a SD catd reader and had a look at the 4G SD card that came with the unit

Well by doing this I have now encountered another problem. The 4G SD is just about full and consequently no room for ozi CE. As my GPS SD read capacity is 8G, I thought of using a 8G SD and making two folders one for IGo software copied from the 4G SD and another folder for ozi CE.

The question is will this work and secondly is 4G enough for ozi CE and maps??? Alternatively are there any other solutions that may work??

Thanks for any assistance given

Lou.

Quote Originally Posted by swagman01
    snip
    The question is will this work and secondly is 4G enough for ozi CE and maps???
    Hi
    The Hema Navigator 5 only comes with a 4GB card (as does the TwoNav Aventura) so itís obviously very functional size. If you have access to a computer on a regular basis bigger cards are probably more of a luxury than a necessity.

I would make sure OziCe works first before getting a 8gb card though.

Cheers
    Greg

I use a 16GB SDHC card on my 7" ebay KNAV. This runs iGO and OziCE and the maps relevant to the region I visit.

I have had no issues other than it takes some time to index the maps once the new SD card is first inserted or changed.

I did not go for the 32GB SD card mainly due to cost and I don't need the extra space.

You will not have any issues provided your unit support a SDHC card.

I can also connect to the unit with activesync version 4.5 with WinCE 5.0. I installed an earlier version synced with this and then updated to 4.5. However, I don't use activesync to transfer files as it takes too long.

Mike
    Last edited by cuvier100; 19th January 2011 at 08:49 PM.

7. OK Greg, so 4G is sufficient to run OziCE but as I will need a new SD card I might as well get a 8G. What I need to decide now is whether to leave the new 8G card dedicated for OziCE or to divide it into 2 separate folders, one for IGo and the other for Ozi.

Mike, you mention that when changing cards that it takes some time to "index" the maps. Can you give me an estimate of how long it takes to "index".

Also will this indexing occur by virtue of changing from IGo to Ozi regardless of whether both programes are on the same card or not? I guess what I am getting at here is that can I avoid "indexing" by having both IGo and Ozi on the same card?

My guess is that it is a software/map issue, so I think that indexing will occur everytime I change from IGo to Ozi (and back again) regardless of whether they are on the same card or not.

Thanks
    Lou.

Lu
    The time it takes to OziCe to "index" maps is not something to worry about. Indexing can be done manually (you initiate the process) or automatically (default setting). It however only needs to be done once...unless you add or delete a map from your library so doing it manually if fine as long as you remember to re-index if you make any changes.

It is important the map index is kept up to date, maps that are not in the index will not be found during moving map. The amount of time it takes is dependent on how many maps you have loaded on the card (and possibly the CPU speed of unit/card speed) so itís not possible to say how long it will take but my guess is its unlikely to be more than a minute or two. I have hundreds of maps on the HN5 (16gb card)..and the fact that I dont really know how long it takes to index the maps is an indication that its not a problem.

Cheers
    Greg

9. Thanks Greg and Mike for your help. Looks like I have a lot to learn about OziCe. I will have a closer look at the Oziexplorer website and see what manuals/instructions I can gather from there.

Thanks
    Lou.

Lou
    I agree with Greg. Indexing is not a real issue in time taken. Benefits outweigh whatever the hassle is anyway.
    I run Ozi on a 2Gb card that has 1 Gb of music. 1 Gb of maps is sufficient for most of my wanderings. If I want to use IGO8 I have to put the original card back in.
    I do have a few cards with overlapping and different mapsets though when I go on long trips or different direction (and new music - it's surprising how boring 1 Gb of songs can get!).
    I'm just waiting to see Nicko's incar 2 Nav set up before deciding what path to take to upgrade from my 7" Chinese GPS - although for what it is, it works fine.

Quote Originally Posted by swagman01
    Thanks Greg and Mike for your help. Looks like I have a lot to learn about OziCe. I will have a closer look at the Oziexplorer website and see what manuals/instructions I can gather from there.

Thanks
    Lou.
    I have attached OziCe help file in pdf format. Not very comprehensive but gives you an idea. If you go to the Hema Navigator website and look under HN5 - Support - HN5 Tutorials and Guides there are some documents that may be relevant to using OziCe on any unit.

Cheers
    Greg
    Attached Files Attached Files

You need to ensure that the sd card is divided into folders.

One for iGO (as it is on the card supplied) and the other for Ozi as per the way it installs. Then placed all the map files in separate folders under the map folder. Then only select the folders you need.

My KNAV has 2 GB onboard memory so I have installed iGO with its maps on this with the Ozi operating system. The maps,tracks and waypoints are then on the SD card.

Mike

13. Thanks guys for all your help. It's great to have a site like this to help people like me get started with GPS.

I have had another look through the Ozi site and downloaded some more info, which should guide me in the right direction but I know that if I should have any further questions (most likely) it is good to know that I can rely on this site for help.

Thanks Again
    Lou.