Laptop GPS with Satellite imagery recommendations

I am new the 'advanced' (beyond just using a handheld device!) GPS game so if some of the queries below are bit simple apologies in advance. I am very computer literate so am able to play around with software to get something working if I need to.

I am looking to setup a small Netbook based laptop GPS to take along with me on outback motorbike tours (I won't be using this in real time, I will have a conventional GPS for that). I was thinking about a small Win7 based netbook, USB GPS receiver and OziExplorer software as well as some purchased maps. I am guessing this is all pretty straightforward(?). However being new to this I am open to all recommendations in this regard!

Additionally, I would like to download satellite imagery to refer to. I was looking at downloading the NASA Landsat imagery https://zulu.ssc.nasa.gov/mrsid/mrsid.pl. The big question is can I use this data in OziExplorer and how do I convert it to a format OziExplorer uses. All I really want is a dot on an image showing where I am and what is in the area. Again any and all recommendations for this gratefully received.

asked and answered . . .

Landsat MrSID import into OziExplorer instructions . .

http://www.oziexplorer3.com/eng/nasa.html

So the remaining question is are there any recommendations (or pitfalls!) for a setup as described above . . .

Hello

Lots of people take a laptop/netbook/MAC when on the road so you are not alone. Just because you are using it with OziExplorer and a USB GPS shouldnt create any significant "pitfalls". This is what the program was initially design for.

The NASA sat images have their use (?) but they provide poor resolution. If all you want "is a dot on an image showing where I am and what is in the area" then would suggest 250K Natmap Raster as a start. You can download individual (500+) map sheets free from the Geoscience website (use MapConnect ) ...but if time is money just buy a DVD of the whole set (~$99) and get on with it

Also MobAC maybe of some use. You can create ready to go OziExplorer images from Google Earth et al (heaps better than the NASA Landsat imagery you want to use), though for large areas its a case of time and MBs.

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself © Socrates 469 BC

thanks Greg,

Another quick question; is OziExplorer the 'best' software for this purpose (I have just assumed that it is) or are there other packages out there worth looking at? (I realize that this is an OziExplorer centric site!).

(I realize that this is an OziExplorer centric site!).
    For a very good reason. It is the best.
    Over the years I have looked at several others, TrackRanger, Fugawi, MemoryMap, Anquet, nRoute, & probably others that I have forgotten.
    The only one that is also worth using (IMHO) is TwoNav's CompeLand. Have not used it much for moving map yet. On the home PC I prefer it for map editing & management, but prefer Ozi for track & waypoint creation & editing. So I often have them both open, & swap data between them.
    regards Michael

yacht racing at RMYS
    Lake Mountain Ski Patrol
    bush walking anywhere in Vic

6. I like and use Gartrip.
    http://www.gartrip.de/index2.htm

Mapedit is powerful software and the registered version can download Google imagery.

http://www.geopainting.com/en/

Hello

As Michael points out OziExplorer is probably talked about the most as it has the largest user base, not because people are banned from talking about anything else. Same with Garmin I suppose - relatively little talk about other brands.

Anyway, OziExplorer is very popular because it is relatively cheap, there are a good choice of maps (though not all are free) and it has functions that suit a range of people needs. There is also a PC version and a CE/windows mobile version which increases options for use. Contrary to what some people say I think it is relatively simple to use but that may depend on the users background.

Because so many people use it there is a never ending source of help if you get stuck (not only on this forum but there are some ozi specific forums e.g. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OziUsers-L

The main think it doesn’t do is auto routing so if you need that then it’s the wrong choice.

OziExplorer isn’t for everyone so before jumping in make sure it has the functions you need and that the maps available (free or otherwise) suit your needs and budget….and apply the same process when you suss out other programs.

Cheers
    Greg

Hi. When 'GPSing' with my 1001HA EeePC I use OkMap for mapping, and Garmin's nRoute for street navigation.

Thought I'd throw those in to add some extra to the mix. It will depend how little or how much you want to value-add (with maps, preferences,etc).

On longer trips I often take a handheld GPSr and paper maps. Guess I'm a bit old fashioned that way.

Quote Originally Posted by mihermano

On longer trips I often take a handheld GPSr and paper maps. Guess I'm a bit old fashioned that way.
    ...Nothing old fashion about paper maps - go into your local map shop and have a look around. Suppose we tend not to mention them here as it is a GPS forum. GPS, paper maps, compass and stars are all navigation tools...there is no reason to limit yourself to just one, use best option for task at hand ..which in some cases may be a combination of two or more.

Cheers
    Greg

Just wondering how much CPU grunt is needed?

Could I run Win7, OziExplorer with some background maps, USB GPS, etc, on a basic netbook (ie. Intel Atom CPU, 1gB RAM, 10" screen) which gives good portability and battery life (~1kg, 6-8 hours), or is it worth while jumping up 1 level to a small notebook (ie. Intel I3 380UM, 2-4gB RAM, 13" screen) which is still reasonably portable (~1.5kG, ~6 hours) but doubles the CPU power.

Ozi isnt terribly resource hungy, so you dont need a high end puter to run. Those cheap 9inch mini laptops do fine
    Who knows the Evil that lurks in the Heart of Man

Brock