1. Download Map conversion

Hi All,

I use only Linux, and so have a hard time with ozf2 and img file formats.

I generally use gpsman to up/download stuff from my Garmin Vista Cx, and would like to use the high quality shonkymaps as backgrounds to that. My problem is one of converting either the .img or .ozf2 formats to something more open and usable. I'd prefer not to have to use Windows to do it (but I will if there's absolutely no alternative.)

I'm ok to write the conversion myself, and suspect the quickest approach is via .ozf2, but of course I have no idea what the format is. Anyone got any definitive information on the image format?

Alternatively, is it possible to download the maps in anything which isn't a proprietary format?

Colin.

Edit for Clarity: I want to use shonkymaps as backgrounds in gpsman and the various other GPS programs I use under Linux, to ****yse and poke around with hiking tracks, etc.
    Last edited by colinmcc; 26th April 2011 at 09:37 PM.

2. What about Polish Format (.mp) ? Mapedit uses Polish Format and it seems to be quite flexible.

Hi

You can download the original vector data made to use Shonkymaps from the Geoscience Australia Website

http://www.ga.gov.au/mapconnect/index.jsp

Vector formats available are ESIRI shape files and MapinfoTab. You can also get data as a "personal Geodatabase".

Raster formats available are ECW, PDF and KML (=jpg).

I have no idea if this is of any use to you.

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC

4. That does help, yes, thank you.