1. Buying Road/Trail bike - TTR250 or KLX250???

G'Day all

I'm looking to buy one of the above bikes. It's been about 15 years since I've owned a 250, so I'm a little out of touch. I know there is a number of people here that are into bikes so I thought I would ask.

I'm looking to use it mostly for work with some off road stuff on the weekend. The off road work will be mostly just exploring in State Forests and National Parks, on existing fire tails/roads or 4WD tracks. Nothing real hard on the bike. I also do about 6 - 8 trips to Mackay (350km) every year. It will have to happily have to sit on a 100k's for 4 hrs without an problems. I'm looking at buying new or secondhand 06 model.

I went to the local bikes shop to have a look at each model. The local Yamaha dealer didn't have any TTR's. They had sold out of there stock but I spent about an hour talking to the sales lady. She know what she was talking about and just about had me sold on one. Next off I go to have a look at the KLX. No new stock again but had a secondhand 06 model to look at. The guy knew the product well and I just about walked away with it. I've done a number of net searches and I haven't found any major problems with both bikes. Has anyone got any input good or bad? Any web links?? Maybe some forums to look at??

2. either bike will work OK. but... be warned... 350 hiway km is a loong way on a 250 or any trail/dirtbike for that matter. be warned..

get the best bike at the best price. i, maybe, depending on the choice avail would go the ttr for aircooled simplicity and reliability.

3. I haven't owned a dirt bike in many years, but I've got several road bikes and I've worked on many high mileage dirt bikes ridden by couriers which prompt the question: Why do you want a 250?
    If your not limited, I'd recommend a bigger bike.
    The bigger engine will (probably) give you better economy on long trips and do it with less stress.
    Be aware too, that dual purpose tyres are only average performers for both road and dirt work.

OoT.

4. TTR is very reliable road trail bike ,my son uses his 03 around town then we put nobbies and it is very good in harder trails . I dont feel comfortable on longer rides but many people ride them long distances
    another DBWer
    and Suzuki 4wder
    Explorist 600
    Ozi on the Lappy
    Garmin 310 Forerunner and HRM

5. Quote Originally Posted by helterskelter400
    be warned... 350 hiway km is a loong way on a 250 or any trail/dirtbike for that matter. be warned..
    Yeah I know. I've done trips like that before. I'm sure the seats are not much softer now then they were 15 years ago. I once did a 200km trip on a Yamaha DX 100 from Bowen to Mackay, at 11:00pm. I think in a car it takes about 2 1/2 hrs. I did it in 3 1/2 at 80km/hr. Nuts I know, but loved the trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by Out-of-towner
    Why do you want a 250?
    If your not limited, I'd recommend a bigger bike.
    The bigger engine will (probably) give you better economy on long trips and do it with less stress.
    I am limited by licence. Stress on the engine was one of the questions I put to the sales people. They seem to think it would be fine for the amount of trip per year. But......I was not convinced. I was thinking of re-gearing to make sure?? A couple off the back should do it?? I'm hoping it doesn't effect the off road riding to much??
    Be aware too, that dual purpose tyres are only average performers for both road and dirt work.
    Thanks for the tip Out-of-towner.

After doing a lot of reading of forums and websites it would seem the TTR is the better of the 2. I'm heading more that way now. If anyone has any more tips or advice, then it is welcomed

6. i still think you will do the 350km once or twice and then think WTF was i thinking. where's the keys for the daughter's super luxury dato 120y. haha

if you are doing lots of road Ks, gear it so it will just do the road speeds you want and then ride a bit slower on the road because surley you want it to be better off road than on so if you can avoid geaqring it up too high tahts good.

if you are doing transport ks go a pirelli mt21 narrower than 120 on the rear and a intermediat knobby like a dunlop k195 on the front that is unless you are doing lots and lots of road Ks where a mt21 might be the go on the front as well.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dooghan
    I am limited by licence.
    Arrr .. that limits your options - bummer!

Quote Originally Posted by Dooghan
    I was thinking of re-gearing to make sure?? A couple off the back should do it??
    Good idea. If your only riding dirt roads, you'll probably not notice (much), but another possibility is to use a larger sprocket on the front (3 to 4:1 advantage).
    The benefit is that you can swap front sprockets without changing the chain length (so you can switch back easily) - you'll need to check for clearance.
    If you think a bigger sprocket will fit, you can ask it a larger one is listed - If your told "No", don't give up.
    Ask to look through the JT catalogue - you'll probably find something else to fit.
    A brief search shows that the US model:
    '06 KLX takes 14/42
    '06 TTR takes 13/52 as standard fitment.
    and
    '06 KLX takes 14/52 (wrong direction)
    '06 TTR takes 14/40 as extreme options

If it comes down to it, you can get a custom rear cut fairly easily

Oot.

8. our 03 TTR has 13 x48 or 50(too hard to count properly) and will sit on 110 all day and works off road
    another DBWer
    and Suzuki 4wder
    Explorist 600
    Ozi on the Lappy
    Garmin 310 Forerunner and HRM

9. Quote Originally Posted by helterskelter400
    if you are doing transport ks go a pirelli mt21 narrower than 120 on the rear and a intermediat knobby like a dunlop k195 on the front that is unless you are doing lots and lots of road Ks where a mt21 might be the go on the front as well.
    The Yamaha dealer was talking about Pirelli's. I just can't remember what type now. Something to look into. Thanks helterskelter400

but another possibility is to use a larger sprocket on the front
    I never thought about that as a possibility. Will have to look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by michaeld
    our 03 TTR has 13 x48 or 50(too hard to count properly) and will sit on 110 all day and works off road
    Would you know if this is stock?? or have you changed it?? Just want to see if it is the same ratio as what Oot has listed. You still have enough power for off road work at that ratio. That's good to here

Thanks guys for all this help.