Thread: New Garmin eTrex series

Blog Entries

Exclamation New Garmin eTrex series

Garmin will be introducing a new series of eTrex in August 2011. (Etrex 30 and eTrex 20 arrived in October with the eTrex 10 coming later).

This is clearly going to eliminate the current eTrex range including the Legend and Vista series.

Be aware the specifications mention tide info, this is only applicable to USA and not Australia. Garmin models that have a marine maps built in do have tidal charts.

The other surprising spec is that they utilise the GLONASS satellite system as well as the GPS satellite system. In theory it should do two things, improve satellite reception and accuracy assuming it is using both US and Russian satellite constellations at the same time and determining position bu averaging or combining both results.

What I am happy to see is mini USB connectivity even on the eTrex10 as it saves $60 in PC cables.

Australian RRP

Click on the model numbers below to go to the Garmin web site for further info

eTrex 10 $149
    eTrex 20 $249
    eTrex 30 $349

--------

Garmin eTrex 30 Description Garmin International is pleased to announce the new eTrex series. Garmin eTrex, a recognizable name in the outdoors, has been embraced by the market for over a decade, selling millions of units. The newly redesigned eTrex lineup will retain the core functionality such as rugged construction and long battery life that made eTrex famous, while adding capabilities normally found in premium handhelds. An already easy-to-use device has gotten easier thanks to an improved user interface complimented by an “updated” look with refinements such as buttons identified by text.

The eTrex 10 is a great choice for the budget savvy consumer desiring a basic GPS device. This device features a 2.2” monochrome display and a worldwide basemap making it easier than ever to see where you are and where you have been. The eTrex 20 and eTrex 30 add a 2.2” 65k color sunlight readable display, a shaded relief worldwide basemap, and internal memory plus a microSD™ card slot. Building on the feature set of the eTrex 20, the eTrex 30 adds a 3-axis electronic compass that shows your heading even when the unit is not held flat, as well as a barometric altimeter that provides precise elevation readings, and wireless unit-to-unit connectivity for sharing waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches. Customers are able to use the internal memory with the microSD™ card slot on the eTrex 20 and eTrex 30 to add TOPO, road and marine mapping options.

Legacy customers such as hunters/hikers will continue to be drawn to eTrex, but the new features will expand its appeal. A geocacher will notice paperless geocaching and the ability to wirelessly share caches. Geocachers can help the environment and be more efficient by going paperless with the eTrex series, quickly downloading cache information directly to the device. Each model stores and displays cache information such as location, terrain, difficulty, hints and description, so that you don’t have to tote printouts with you. Learn more about geocaching, such as how to get started or go paperless at www.garmin.com/geocaching and www.OpenCaching.com. The worldwide user will notice that eTrex tracks more than just GPS by branching out with multi constellation GNSS support such as GLONASS.

Small in size, but big on features. The new eTrex are the perfect companions for all of your outdoor adventures.

The otherr is labels for the buttons which the original etrex do not have, albeit rather small test, still better than nothing.

Image and text coutesy of GPS City Canada
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Hi

Any idea as to when these will arrive in Australia thanks?

Cheers

Blog Entries
    End of September 2011
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Fantastic! I'll definitely be waiting for it then.

Thanks for the speedy reply, Nicko.

Cheers

Blog Entries
    I have updated the first reply with current availability and AU RRP pricing. I will be placing them in the online shop today (just prices, with meaty bits tomorrow) and will include a free cigarette lighter plug to USB socket so that you can power the unit up in your car as per image below.

Be aware the specifications mention tide info, this is only applicable to USA and not Australia. Garmin models that have a marine maps built in do have tidal charts.

The pricing is much better than the original eTrex series including the eTrex 10 which includes a USB cable valued at $15. If the Yellow eTrex is discounted well below $100 I still would not buy them as the cost of the cables is notably dearer and negates any cost advantaghe of the GPS.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Hi, I am new to this forum and would like some advice on the new Garmin Etrex 10. This is to be a replacement for a 3 year old malfunctioning Etrex H.

1.Can waypoints be selected and pointed to with a simple “GOTO” function in the same way as the H?
    2.Are there “pointer” and “trip computer” pages similar in layout to the H?
    3. Can waypoints be simply keyed in, named and entered easily via USB? It was a slow and painful process to key them in using the buttons on the H!
    4.What is the convention for naming waypoints? Can I key in “Sandringham” , for example,or do I have to use alpha-numeric abreviations such as “001SAN” ?
    5.How long does it take to find the satellites from switch on? The H took less than a minute.

Blog Entries
    You can always download the manual......
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
    You can always download the manual......
    Thanks Nicko, the manual does mention that waypoints can be entered and then edited, but it is not specific. It does not mention how the waypoints are entered, what formats can be used or what naming conventions are used for the waypoints themselves. In terms of using the USB interface the manual simply states that a file can be transferred. There is no mention of any management software to control the unit via PC. The manual did answer questions 1 and 2 , however.

Has the Garman software changed for the new models? I have just been caught saving a track to my Etrex victs hcx and as a consequence loosing my time data which I need to georeference my photos. Clearly this is a problem and I was wondering whether the newer models have fixed this.

Iain

Quote Originally Posted by IainS View Post
    Has the Garman software changed for the new models? I have just been caught saving a track to my Etrex victs hcx and as a consequence loosing my time data which I need to georeference my photos. Clearly this is a problem and I was wondering whether the newer models have fixed this.

Iain
    All the current model Garmins (i.e. Oregon, Etrex, Montana, Dakota) are the same in that they save tracks and waypoints straight to GPX format - the time stamp issue when saving tracks is gone.

Cheers
    Greg
    To find yourself, think for yourself Socrates 469 BC

Quote Originally Posted by IainS View Post
    I have just been caught saving a track to my Etrex victs hcx and as a consequence loosing my time data which I need to georeference my photos.
    IainS, can you provide more info on how you lost time data? I use a Vista HCx and log all my trips to the SD Card, never had a problem.

Blog Entries
    Guys, not here.
    www.gpsaustralia.net