Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rino 650

Blog Entries

Exclamation Rino 650

Garmin Australasia have announced the Rino 650 a touched screen GPS with 5 watt UHF 40 Channel radio.
    `
    The Rino 650 features a 2.6" 65K colour touchscreen display that is glove friendly. It provides a shaded relief worldwide basemap, quad-helix antenna and a high sensitivity GPS receive with HotFix. Rino's unique position reporting capability lets you send your exact location to other Rino users for display on their map screen. Being a standard UHF radio allows Rino to communicate with any other conventional UHF radios. You can also send unit-to-unit text messages to fellow Rino users in your area.

The Rino 650 has a powerful 5-watt radio, 3 axis electronic compass, barometric altimeter, rechargeable Li-ion battery, and internal memory or microSD card slot for additional maps.

The Rino 650 supports optional mapping products such as BirdsEye Satellite Imagery, TOPO Australia and New Zealand maps, spe******t maps and Garmin Custom Maps. Garmin Custom Maps allows you to easily transform paper and electronic maps into free downloadable maps for your compatible Garmin GPS. BirdsEye Satellite Imagery is a subscription based service that allows you to see aerial views

Addtional Specifications:

• Up to 18 hour battery life with 4 AA NiMH or LIthium recommended or up to 14 hours with rechargeable Li-ion pack.

• High Speed USB port and NMEA 0183 compatble
    Accessories (included)

• USB cable
    • Carabiner clip
    • Li-ion battery pack
    • manuals
    Accessories (optional)

• Power Cable
    • Li-Ion battery pack
    • Alkaline battery pack
    • Auto friction mount
    • Headset with boom mic
    RRP $599
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Hmm, it would be interesting to know how the Rino 650 complies with the Australian Radiocommunications (UHF CB Radio Equipment) Standard 2011 (No.1) which commenced in May. Under the new standard the channel width is narrower and most UHF radios now sold are 80 channel, not 40. Old 40 channel radios will be deemed noncompliant in May 2016 and it will be illegal to use them.

Cheers
    KarlB

3. 5 years away. It'll be dead/replaced by something else by then.

Quote Originally Posted by peter77
    5 years away. It'll be dead/replaced by something else by then.
    The GPS side may be out of date in 5 years but I am interested to know how the UHF radio complies with the current standard, as it is new, and not a model that was on sale in Australia prior to the new standard coming into force. It was my understanding that all new model radios sold in Australia should comply.

Blog Entries
    Well do youintend to buy one? Even if you did it would be difficult for Garmin to recall them
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Quote Originally Posted by Nicko
    Well do youintend to buy one? Even if you did it would be difficult for Garmin to recall them
    I certainly wouldn't consider it if they were non-compliant. Would you knowingly sell them if they were non-compliant?

Blog Entries
    I have a high confidence that it is, Garmin would not have released them otherwise, would have been informed as part of the approval process.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

re new Rino650 and UHF compliance

The question that can perhaps be asked is whether the unit can be upgraded to the new 80-channel UHF format.
    My understanding is that the new 80-channel standard is not yet in, but that some makers (for eg GME) are providing UHF radios that can be reflashed or reprogrammed when the time comes to load the new, narrow bandwidth 80 channels into the radio.
    That is, if you go to buy a UHF radio now, you should determine whether the unit is upgradable from the 40 to 80 channels (for more info, see GME website gme.net.au). There is a symbol to look for on radio units to determine ability to upgrade, and some models currently on retail shelves will not be upgradable, so it is all about doing your homework before purchase.

Perhaps the Garmin has this provision, but I do not know.

Cheers,
    TC

Although the previous post had comments from last year I decided to join the forum as it relates to GPS content.

Just purchased the Garmin Rino 650 the other day. My old Garmin GPS60 screen failed (had since 2006 from the Brisbane boat show). The Rino650 unit has the 80 channels (77 usable). Selection between 1/2, 2 and 5w can be made. When I put on the 4xAA battery pack the max is 2w. It has CTCSS and DCS squelch modes plus repeater capability. I use the GPS's when I go fishing the Gold and Sunny coast as the dams Dams (Wivenhoe, Somerset, Maroon and Moogarah).

The beauty for me .... of the Rino is a have made custom maps. I used all my old tracks and waypoints marking structure, holes etc etc and put into unit. I am now going to scan sections of old topo (contours etc) maps I have that were made before the dams were built. This way I know the lay of the land to maximise my fishing experience. As I am ex-military I change all relative settings to mils and utm format. I read maps better this way.
    Anyway I am impressed with the unit and for me a worthy upgrade - very fast sat recognition even in my house that has a window near by.

Be interested in chatting to other forum members who have the Rino 560.

I have just purchased a pair of these today and cant get them to locate each other. I have gone to RADIO SETUP. Selected SEND LOCATION and ALLOW POLLING. Pushed button left hand side top. but nothing happens apart from a couple of beeps. Any help would be appreciated.
    Buck

Hi. Don't know too much about the rino, except from a quick look at the manual.
    You can download a User Manual from here
    http://support.garmin.com/support/ma...=en&country=US
    Cheers.
    ... Teach a man (or woman) to fish and he (or she) eats for a lifetime.

thanks mihermano

Quote Originally Posted by BUCK View Post
    I have just purchased a pair of these today and cant get them to locate each other. I have gone to RADIO SETUP. Selected SEND LOCATION and ALLOW POLLING. Pushed button left hand side top. but nothing happens apart from a couple of beeps. Any help would be appreciated.
    Buck
    Make sure all units have the same CTCSS or DTS code set and are of course on the same channel. Also helps to change the units names in the contacts.
    They're fun to play with once they're set up.

Hey Guys, just joined the Forum.

Also just purchased the Rino 650

So one is for me and one is for my uncle. We both hunt, this is the first time either of us have used a GPS or UHF for hunting purposes.
    We both liked the idea of seeing where each other are on the map and not having to worry when one of us hasn't arrived at the car at the designated time.

I found it fairly easy to operate, I have created profiles linked the devices together.

I was offered the Gamrin Topo Australian/New Zealand maps for $150 with the units. but didn't purchase it.

If in the future I wish to install maps onto the Rino 650's, What maps and methods would you guys recommend?
    Obviously it should be able to pick up walking tracks, 4wd tracks, creeks, rivers etc.

I have Shonky Maps my PC but cant work out how to get them onto the device!

If there are any other mapping products out there with more detail you guys could recommend that would be awesome! (paid for or downloadable)

Cheers,

Shonky is pretty good in the Vic high country (on my Garmin 60Cx) I also have OzTopo which tends to have more street detail in the small country towns.
    But Shonky is free & OzTopo is $200ish.
    So first I would have a go at loading Shonky & see what you think.

On you PC do you have Garmin MapSource software for viewing Shonky?
    If so it is easy enough to transfer the maps to the GPS.
    Do a search of the forum (Search button, top right of page) we have explained the process several times, & I think Nicko posted a video of the process.
    regards Michael

yacht racing at RMYS
    Lake Mountain Ski Patrol
    bush walking anywhere in Vic

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast