Hi new member -which GPS in rainforest?

Hi I'm a new member. We walk in the Otways and I live in Apollo Bay. Our group is thinking of purchasing a GPS and maybe an epirb. I have been looking at Garmin Etrex 20, but want to know if it will work in the rainforest. Any ideas?

2. Your in God's own country down there Sue.
    Getting an EPIRB should be your first task, then get a decent GPS unit, The Etrex looks to be a decent unit for your purpose from what I have read but dont take my word for it, there are better informed folk here on the forum that can help you there.

I just thought I'd reply because you live in my most favourite part of the world, Apollo Bay.
    My grandfather used to live there, right on the highway, about a mile or so out of town.
    I learnt to drive there too, at age 9, my grandad taught me in his old Vanguard ute.
    My grandparents lived almost on the corner of The Great Ocean Road and Mariners Lookout Rd.

I hope you find the info your after, good luck

MaX
    (Not my real name)
    Last edited by MaXiLeeCH; 26th April 2012 at 02:06 PM.

Blog Entries
    Minimum is one with digital compass, allows for paper map usage and geocaching and other recreational activities.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Quote Originally Posted by quilt sue View Post
    Hi I'm a new member. We walk in the Otways and I live in Apollo Bay. Our group is thinking of purchasing a GPS and maybe an epirb. I have been looking at Garmin Etrex 20, but want to know if it will work in the rainforest. Any ideas?
    Hi. If you like new eTrex range, I'd go for the eTrex30 with electronic compass, especially for stop-go, tight, heavily forested areas.

It'll work as well as many others however heavy rainforest is not ideal for any GPS reception and a GPS receiver should never be thought of in a safety context. It's another (good) tool though for bushwalking.
    Take care.
    ... Teach a man (or woman) to fish and he (or she) eats for a lifetime.

Never had a problem with my Garmin 60Cx on many bushwalks around Cape Otway & the Apollo Bay area.
    I would expect the eTrex 30 or the Garmin 62 should work well for you.
    regards Michael

yacht racing at RMYS
    Lake Mountain Ski Patrol
    bush walking anywhere in Vic

Blog Entries
    62 doesn't have datacard slot but the 62S does.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net