Blog Entries

Garmin Zumo 350LM

Garmin have introduced a new Motorcycle model called the Zumo 350LM, a 4.3" model with lifetime map updates. Unlike it's car counterparts it doesn't have traffic alerts, maybe because motorbikes don't really need them!

But what is most interesting is Garmin's new street models are all Navteq and no longer Whereis maps. Some will say that Whereis is better in the city whilst Navteq is better on country roads but I can't say for certain myself. The move is clearly going to affect Sensis just like it's Yellow Pages trying to compete against Google. I think they need me to be at the helm .... and so does Nokia .... and soon Apple.... who shall I pick?

I have a quick comparison between the Zumo 350LM and the Zumo 660 and the biggest difference is that the new unit does not have the capability to play music. Yes, Garmin are playing the take two steps forward one step back like they have always done. If you have a motorbike and a boat in theory you are better off with the Nuvi 500 because it is designed to work with all maps including street, topo and marine; a device that retails for $399 and yet Garmin are insisent on forcing you to buy a second GPS if you buy a Zumo. This is called market segregation and maximising profits. Whilst you continue to buy Garmin you continue to allow them to dictate what they sell you.

Another notable feature removed from the Zumo 350LM is the Garmin Lock, anti-theft feature as well as not being able to navigate to geotagged images. Wait and see if they bring out a better version that doesn't have the nobbled features for you to pay more for.

The biggest plus is lane assist and service history log and Trackback features.

The problem is, motorcyclists overwhelmingly preferred the Zumo 550 because it had buttons. Garmin struggled selling the Zumo 660, so the most logical step was to remove the Zumo 550 and force people to the Zumo 660. Now, Garmin continue the trend with the Zumo 350LM.

zumo305lm.jpg
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net

Hi Nicko,

Not looking to abandon the eXplorist XL just yet, but thought I might offer some comment as a motorcyclist.

Garmin sure have a lot of fine-print regarding the "lifetime" upgrade of maps (kind of like extended warranty conditions on used cars). Note especially that if you fail to upgrade for two years (sounds like a long time, but if the currently installed maps are doing the job...) your product will be "deemed to be out of service". OOPS! But I suppose anyone currently on a "lifetime" deal with Garmin could provide feedback as to any issues (IF, in fact, there are any).

Your comment about bikes/boats etc. will be a timely warning for some, I am sure. I know its more money for them, but where does any manufacturer get off thinking they can force you into purchasing a second product rather than utilising the first? Unless the alternative works underwater, why can't an IPX7 device also run marine maps???

As for "glove-friendly", if you have a demo model, I'm sure the motorcyclists among us would be pleased to hear your assessment. What about with old stiff leather gloves, in the rain? Hmm... Perhaps you could spray some water over the sreen and test?

Traditionally (I think), automotive GPSrs have not performed as well in the route/waypoint space, compared to hand-held devices. Again, if you've a demo model, perhaps an assessment to assist our motorcycling bretheren. If it can screen-cap, then a post of same would be ideal. I see also on the website that it can have up to 100 routes, but no mention of the number of waypoints included in each. Although I suppose this information might be available elsewhere?

How does the whole service history thing work. Is it simply an electronic copy of bike maintenance, or does it imply that the device must be running at all times in order to generae/keep accurate logs? Too many eggs in one basket, perhaps? But still, interested to know more - do the Garmin reps monitor our forum?

Well anyway, that's my two-cents worth.

Cheers,
    Paul.

PS - will be in touch about MMO, now that I'm back online.
    Last edited by CADManager; 27th July 2012 at 09:53 AM.

Blog Entries
    some links to the fine print would be great, I wasn't aware of the 2 year limit.
    I couldn't tell you if they are. As far as I am aware Navman and Navig8tor are the only two manufacturers on this forum.
    Garmin have always created restrictions based on what the market expects, however, I have never known them to ask anyone what they think of the Garmin products. That's why I like TwoNav as they do have a web page where you can request features. However, because they have only just started producing hardware through third party companies there hardware is not as complete as I would like, for example none have bluetooth or WiFi. Don't think for one minute though that CompeGPS (TwoNav) are sitting on their laurels. This goes for Magellan as well and possibly even Lowrance, but I know very little about Lowrance at the moment as they are not doing well in expanding their dealer network..... sounds familiar with Twonav..... but that can be attributed to retailers being frigid when it comes to anything but Garmin.

I don't have a demo model and never will unless Garmin give me one or that the forum and magazine makes me instantly wealthy.

Yes, handhelds have the ability to hold more data than navigators but again that would be because Garmin have dictated what is "necessary" for the majority of users. The fact that some street navigators in the past could have routes imported and now none do.
    The sun rises and sets, the moon wax and wanes, oceans ebb and rise, warmth of spring and the coolness of autumn and my heart beats as if I belong to them all.
    www.gpsaustralia.net